Hohenzollernmodell 1660-1670 Scale 1/75 POF build by Stephan Kertész (Steef66)

Looks great Stephan with all different sizes of wood. Very realistic, except for the big fingers ofcourse :cool:
Thanks Maarten. The different size is just what I wanted. The result of making every piece on the spot. There is also a lot of difference in thickness, filling pieces and maybe I also use some branches lookalikes.
And those fingers, yes they are from Gulliver.

Thanks Maarten. The different size is just what I wanted. The result of making every piece on the spot. There is also a lot of difference in thickness, filling pieces and maybe I also use some branches lookalikes.
And those fingers, yes they are from Gulliver.
Yes that is the same route as I will take. Already have made boards in different sizes for this.

In model building nothing is simple. Even building this way there are things that take time. Even after a lot of measuring you discover parts that need adjustment. But the part till frame 6 (if I still can speak of frames) is done. Because I'm working with a lot of scrap wood I kept after making the floor timber and other parts, it looks like a Dutch build up. No piece looks the same and there is just a tiny waste of wood left. Which I save to, you'll never know.

IMG_4495.JPGIMG_4496.JPGIMG_4497.JPGIMG_4498.JPGIMG_4499.JPGIMG_4500.JPG

One special effect that occurs is that I almost don't use a drawing during build. I can see the widest part of the ship, the wale is marked, and there are a few frames already in place where I can work to. This gives me an idea how these Dutch ships where build and that a drawing in front was just not necessary. You can build these ships just with some measurements and a few simple guidelines/laws. The shape of the ship rises by itself during build.

In model building nothing is simple. Even building this way there are things that take time. Even after a lot of measuring you discover parts that need adjustment. But the part till frame 6 (if I still can speak of frames) is done. Because I'm working with a lot of scrap wood I kept after making the floor timber and other parts, it looks like a Dutch build up. No piece looks the same and there is just a tiny waste of wood left. Which I save to, you'll never know.

View attachment 451808View attachment 451809View attachment 451810View attachment 451811View attachment 451812View attachment 451813

One special effect that occurs is that I almost don't use a drawing during build. I can see the widest part of the ship, the wale is marked, and there are a few frames already in place where I can work to. This gives me an idea how these Dutch ships where build and that a drawing in front was just not necessary. You can build these ships just with some measurements and a few simple guidelines/laws. The shape of the ship rises by itself during build.
It's almost 'organized chaos', Stephan. But you can use later all your energy to get it tight and smooth. Fore sure it will be a very nice hull.
Regards, Peter

It looks great Stephan. Did you already shape the inside of the frame parts before fitting or do you do that at the end when all frames are fitted?
Thanks Maarten. I shape them as much I can and then sand, cut or scrape them afterwards. That part is almost in shape.

There is a harmony even in the irregularities. Fascinating.
Thanks Paul, it is strange to look at, but somehow it works and makes sence. Sad that this work will not be visible when the ship is done. Just the pictures and building proces.

It's almost 'organized chaos', Stephan. But you can use later all your energy to get it tight and smooth. Fore sure it will be a very nice hull.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter, organized chaos is a good discription. That part what is done is already pretty smooth. Sanding that part took me almost 1 day. You can't get in with a sandblok or your hand. Just a small piece of wood and a small piece of sandpaper glued to it, is the only option. And cherry wood looks nice but is pretty hard to sand. Next time I use lime or pear.

An incredible build, Steef. The thing with sanding is, each and every time you go back to look at the model you find a new spot or two that needs sanding just to make it a little bit better. Do this long enough, and to others, the model will appear perfect. Rushing the work makes little unfinished areas apparant to the viewer, and these areas add up if you hurry the entire build. Frame ships like your model are wondrous to view, and demonstrate the art of wooden ship construction that fully hulled, decked, and rigged ships like I favor cannot do.

An incredible build, Steef. The thing with sanding is, each and every time you go back to look at the model you find a new spot or two that needs sanding just to make it a little bit better. Do this long enough, and to others, the model will appear perfect. Rushing the work makes little unfinished areas apparant to the viewer, and these areas add up if you hurry the entire build. Frame ships like your model are wondrous to view, and demonstrate the art of wooden ship construction that fully hulled, decked, and rigged ships like I favor cannot do.
Thanks Kurt, yes when you start sanding, you keep sanding. There is always a spot that needs attention. No problem we have enough time.
How the end result will be? I'm not sure about that. Will it be a fully rigged ship, an admiral model or a Japanese saw model? We see what the future will bring. First this is an experiment if building in this way is posible and to learn the proces. But personally I like complete models.

Thanks Kurt, yes when you start sanding, you keep sanding. There is always a spot that needs attention. No problem we have enough time.
How the end result will be? I'm not sure about that. Will it be a fully rigged ship, an admiral model or a Japanese saw model? We see what the future will bring. First this is an experiment if building in this way is posible and to learn the proces. But personally I like complete models.
You are saying you're not sure which direction the model is going? I find that hard to understand since one usually needs to know what the final outcome will be since it directs how so many of the steps are to be done.

You are saying you're not sure which direction the model is going? I find that hard to understand since one usually needs to know what the final outcome will be since it directs how so many of the steps are to be done.
Yes, the outcome is still not sure. But like I said "I like complete models". So my first goal is to go on to a complete build. What happens in the way to that? Who knows.
Agree wholeheartedly!
Btw a very educational build, kudos alone for that.
Thanks Johan, yes indeed. It is also educational to do, I'm learning so much on how these ships where build.

Thanks all for the likes and visit.
To show the question of @Maarten how I make the timbers and adjust them.
First I make the roughly in shape and fit them in place.

IMG_4501.JPG
IMG_4502.JPG

The problem is that they got after a row of 5/6, thicker (higher) So I have to sand them down.

IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG

That was a lot of work and in my case not such a pretty good feeling for my hands. So on the second hand market I got a bargain and it helps me to get it better in shape. Just the biggest sanding spot I do with it, because these tools can do more harm then good to such a small ship. But it is a lot better to get this cherrywood in shape. Cherry is hardwood and therefore it is also hard to get in shape by hand.

IMG_4505.JPG

The last parts I do of course by hand sanding/scraping. But I'm very happy with this tool, it works perfect and isn't to much noisy, the vacuüm cleaner makes more noise.

Back