Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

First things first: my sincere thanks for all of the likes and encouraging posts! You are a fine bunch!

Not much to report this time around. I am still working on the lower deck build-out. Here are the frames for some of the openings in the deck:

IMG_0736.JPG

Antscherl calls for rabbets only on the coamings - not on the head-ledges - so that's what I did:

IMG_0737.JPG

Proper half-lap joints were used on the corners with an interesting detail: the frames are square at the level of the decking but rounded above the decking:

IMG_0739.JPG

In the forward compartments there are lanterns (candle boxes?). These are reminiscent of the lantern in the powder room but a bit smaller:

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

The tube coming out of the top is for ventilation.

Now attached to the wall...

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

You are very kind to visit!

When under the bell on top the webpage the alert comes up, saying Dockattner replied to the Kingfisher, I grab my seat, glasses and a cup of coffee to see what kind of an update he will surprise us. Always a warm welcome to see how accurate always works. Those hatches look superb, the notches on them also the lanterns are amazingly to watch. Great update, thanks. When I'm in the need of an orthodontist in the near future, I will visit you. I'm very sure they will be perfect afterwards.

When under the bell on top the webpage the alert comes up, saying Dockattner replied to the Kingfisher, I grab my seat, glasses and a cup of coffee to see what kind of an update he will surprise us. Always a warm welcome to see how accurate always works. Those hatches look superb, the notches on them also the lanterns are amazingly to watch. Great update, thanks. When I'm in the need of an orthodontist in the near future, I will visit you. I'm very sure they will be perfect afterwards.
I'm blushing Stephan...this is a very nice post, and I am grateful for your kind words. Of course, making little ships is just my hobby - I'm actually good at orthodontics ROTF.

First things first: my sincere thanks for all of the likes and encouraging posts! You are a fine bunch!

Not much to report this time around. I am still working on the lower deck build-out. Here are the frames for some of the openings in the deck:

View attachment 451546

Antscherl calls for rabbets only on the coamings - not on the head-ledges - so that's what I did:

View attachment 451547

Proper half-lap joints were used on the corners with an interesting detail: the frames are square at the level of the decking but rounded above the decking:

View attachment 451548

In the forward compartments there are lanterns (candle boxes?). These are reminiscent of the lantern in the powder room but a bit smaller:

View attachment 451549

View attachment 451550

View attachment 451551

View attachment 451552

View attachment 451553

"Excellent!"

When I'm in the need of an orthodontist in the near future, I will visit you. I'm very sure they will be perfect afterwards.
I can sign under each of your words, it is a pleasure to view such accurate work (I called it precision) and learn something new every update except.... the last sentence: Are you sure you might need an orthodontist in the future and not a dentist? Full dentures done by the dentist :p

* I know this for sure...from personal experience

View attachment 451546

View attachment 451547

View attachment 451548

View attachment 451549

View attachment 451550

View attachment 451551

View attachment 451552

View attachment 451553

amazing work, it's so beautiful and so accurate

"Excellent!"
I can sign under each of your words, it is a pleasure to view such accurate work (I called it precision) and learn something new every update except.... the last sentence: Are you sure you might need an orthodontist in the future and not a dentist? Full dentures done by the dentist :p

* I know this for sure...from personal experience
amazing work, it's so beautiful and so accurate
@ConsNZ, @Jimsky, @shota70 - thank you very much guys!

And to many others for the 'likes'!

Last edited:
As always, absolutely amazing work ! The level of detail is astounding!

Have you started thinking about your next build? ROTF

Always a delight to review what you have accomplished!

Thank you so much for sharing all your work !

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. The details are available at this scale (1:48) so it makes the build a lot of fun (though these lanterns are still quite small).

Next build ROTF? I don't have the maturity to think about what's next :rolleyes:...

In January of 1766 the Royal Navy ordered two ships to be built conforming to a new design developed by the Surveyor of the Navy, Sir John Williams. The first of these was launched in November 1767 (Swan) and the second (Kingfisher) was launched in July of 1770 (but not completed until November 1770). As a curiosity many English records show the name of this second ship as Kings Fisher (or Kingsfisher).

Twenty-three more ships were ordered to the same design between 1773 and 1779. You are probably familiar with some of them: Fly, Pegasus, Swift (Vulture, Atalanta, Thorn) as they have appeared on this forum and others as kit or scratch builds.

Swan-class sloops were rated at 14 guns though from the very beginning they were designed with 16 gunports. In time, the additional two guns were added but the nominal rating was left unchanged.

Swan-class sloops were the ‘standard’ ship design of the British Navy during the American Revolutionary War during which eleven of them were lost (including Kingfisher). Surviving vessels went on to serve during the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic War.

It is necessary to identify this ship as the Kingfisher 1770 because there are at least 13 additional ships of this name listed in the records of the Royal Navy. There is even a Kingfisher class of ship built during the 20th century.

The Kingfisher 1770 was built by master shipwright Joseph Harris at the Chatham Dockyard, sailed for America in August of 1771, and notably participated in the blockade of Delaware Harbor and the Battle of Turtle Gut Inlet. She was burned by her own crew to avoid capture (by the French) on 7 August 1778 in Narragansett Bay during the Battle of Rhode Island.

Here are her vitals:
  • Length: 96 ft 8 ½ in (29.5 m) (gundeck), 78 ft 10 ½ in (24.0 m) (keel)
  • Beam: 26 ft 10 in (8.2 m)
  • Depth of hold: 12 ft 10 in (3.91 m)
  • Tons burthen: 302 bm
  • Complement: 125
  • Armament: 14x 6 Pound Guns, 16x ½ Pound Swivel Guns
Wikipedia says this: The Swan class sloops were unusually attractive for the type of vessel. Not only did they have sleek hull lines, but they also carried an unusual amount of decoration for their size. They were built just before the Admiralty issued orders that all vessels (especially lesser rates and unrated vessels) should have minimal decoration and carvings to save on costs.

View attachment 348679

View attachment 348680

Attribution: Painting. [Model of HMS] KINGFISHER, Sloop 14 Guns. Model made by Joseph Williams; Painting by Josh Marshall - 1775. Oil on panel in gilt frame. Perspective paintings at 45 degree angle from Navy Board original plans. Commissioned by King George III as part of a series of paired bow and stern paintings of British warship models, one example of each class of ship in the naval establishment.

Construction will begin in a few weeks. I have been reorganizing my workspace, reading everything I can find on swan class ships, ordering supplies to supplement the build, and adding some needed tools to my workshop.

You are all welcome to pull up a chair and join me on this multi-year project. It's going to be a blast!
Those paintings sure are a thing of beauty!

View attachment 451546

View attachment 451547

View attachment 451548

View attachment 451549

View attachment 451550

View attachment 451551

View attachment 451552

View attachment 451553

And so the hits keep coming. I googled the most superlative word to try and describe what I see.
The answer Google gave was “the supreme dockattner”.
Bravo Paul.

View attachment 451546

View attachment 451547

View attachment 451548

View attachment 451549

View attachment 451550

View attachment 451551

View attachment 451552

View attachment 451553

Just like the pushed button, I 'love' your detailed work, Paul. Besides the ortho-, for me you are also a 'detail-ist'.
Regards, Peter

Rabbets, Half Lap joints, 1mm?? vent tubes on lanterns, perfect door hinges...your shipyard, its vision and attention to detail inspires all who visit!
Thanks Brad. Of course I've seen your work so I know you could do the same. Loved the picture of your shore lunch!

Absolutely amazing work on detail. So beautiful.
Thank you Mustafa!

Witaj
Kolejny pokaz pięknej czystej pracy, z przyjemnością ogląda się twoją relację Pawle. Pozdrawiam Mirek
Much appreciated Mirek. I'm trying my best with each step.

And so the hits keep coming. I googled the most superlative word to try and describe what I see.
The answer Google gave was “the supreme dockattner”.
Bravo Paul.
Your posts are always very kind. My thanks!

This is way too accurate to be handy work, like I wrote before, Paul must have small 5-axis machinery. Still a sight to behold.
I'm not much for sitting in front of a computer screen creating 3D files so I don't think I'm in danger of machining or printing these bits. But the results are very impressive when I see it done well!

Just like the pushed button, I 'love' your detailed work, Paul. Besides the ortho-, for me you are also a 'detail-ist'.
Regards, Peter
Guilty as charged. Like yourself!

Back