Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Details, details, details......I am always impressed with all the details you add to your model. It is also great all the documentation you do with build. This is truly a great source for future modelers. Great job Doc.
Thank you, my friend. It's really fun sharing my work with all of the kind members of our forum. Maybe someone will pick up an idea or two???

Thanks, once again, for all the likes on my previous posting!

On the Kingfisher there are posts that support the centerline of the beams of the lower deck as well as the beams of the upper deck. The posts for the lower deck are a simple affair which would have been quite suitable for the hold:

IMG_0763.JPG

But I wanted to make something more 'elegant' for the upper deck beams. A few years ago I had purchased a mini-lathe which I never used. Would it work to turn posts from square stock? Let's find out...

First, some blanks with layout lines:

IMG_0750.JPG

A back-cut to prevent any tear-out:

IMG_0751.JPG

And a preliminary beveling of the sacrificial end that would go in the chuck as well as the center turned portion:

IMG_0752.JPG

I purchased this mini-lathe for around $30 USD:

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

Here we go!

IMG_0756.JPG

Just for fun I recorded the turning of one of the posts. As you will see I just used needle files. I guess someone who knows how to properly use a lathe would use a carbide cutting tip and a pattern jig but that's above my pay grade. The video is about 10 minutes long and will show the steps I went through to make a single post. I suggest you 'fast-forward' as it's not exactly a big budget action-adventure film:

Here is a photo of the finished product:

IMG_0758.JPG

And now the total run.

IMG_0760.JPG

Of course, no two are exactly the same, but I believe these will work! Add another 'skill' to my model-building repertoire ROTF.

Last edited:

On the Kingfisher there are posts that support the centerline of the beams of the lower deck as well as the beams of the upper deck. The posts for the lower deck are a simple affair which would have been quite suitable for the hold:

View attachment 451934

But I wanted to make something more 'elegant' for the upper deck beams. A few years ago I had purchased a mini-lathe which I never used. Would it work to turn posts from square stock? Let's find out...

View attachment 451926

View attachment 451927

And a preliminary beveling of the sacrificial end that would go in the chuck as well as the center turned portion:

View attachment 451928

View attachment 451929

View attachment 451930

Here we go!

View attachment 451931

Just for fun I recorded the turning of one of the posts. As you will see I just used needle files. I guess someone who knows how to properly use a lathe would use a carbide cutting tip and a pattern jig but that's above my pay grade. The video is about 10 minutes long and will show the steps I went through to make a single post. I suggest you 'fast-forward' as it's not exactly a big budget action-adventure film:

View attachment 451932

And now the total run.

View attachment 451933

Of course, no two are exactly the same, but I believe these will work! Add another 'skill' to my model-building repertoire ROTF.
Thanks so much, Paul

I have a similar small lathe and play with it often. Not over-powered but great for such small work.
Your skill and steady hands is an inspiration.

View attachment 451934

View attachment 451926

View attachment 451927

View attachment 451928

View attachment 451929

View attachment 451930

Here we go!

View attachment 451931

View attachment 451932

And now the total run.

View attachment 451933

They are looking very nice, Paul. 14x10 min.? Or your skills approved during the milling?
Add another 'skill' to my model-building repertoire ROTF
Like the quote from Pippi Långstrump from Astrid Lindgren: “I never did it, so I think I can do it”.
I am sure you do now more then you thought you could do a few years ago.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 451934

View attachment 451926

View attachment 451927

View attachment 451928

View attachment 451929

View attachment 451930

Here we go!

View attachment 451931

View attachment 451932

And now the total run.

View attachment 451933

Good morning Paul. You have just blown away my excuses for “crappy” lathe work being :a cheap lathe and needle files. Thanks much appreciated ROTF . Cheers Grant

For such small parts, needle files work the best. More accurate. Good job.
Thank you Stephan. I also tried to make a scraper to add the raised round areas but that was a total fail...

Thanks for doing and posting the video. It is magnificent and very instructive. I actually slowed it down to half speed to enjoy every minute twice and detect the subtle maneuvers of a master craftsman at work.
Thanks Paul.
You are most welcome. I was actually thinking of you when I decided to record my solution.

Thanks so much, Paul

I have a similar small lathe and play with it often. Not over-powered but great for such small work.
Your skill and steady hands is an inspiration.
Yup. That thing won't turn a table leg - but it sits on a table top very comfortably. It makes a few noises and I felt like it was going to die any minute but 'job done.' If I need to replace it I won't go broke doing so...

They are looking very nice, Paul. 14x10 min.? Or your skills approved during the milling?

Like the quote from Pippi Långstrump from Astrid Lindgren: “I never did it, so I think I can do it”.
I am sure you do now more then you thought you could do a few years ago.
Regards, Peter
I LOVE that quote Peter! It rather efficiently sums up my approach to this new hobby!

And yes, the first one took an hour. The one I showed was half way through the batch.

Good morning Paul. You have just blown away my excuses for “crappy” lathe work being :a cheap lathe and needle files. Thanks much appreciated ROTF . Cheers Grant
ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF

Little by little Paul is starting to share his hidden toolset. ;)
Again beautiful work. Thumbsup
I hope I don't accidently catch the CNC milling machine and 3D printer I use in the background of a picture; or the work table of the master modeler I hired from Russia...

Playing catch up on a large scale Paul. OUTSTANDING work!

The speed at which you gain new skills amazes me and I can't comprehend what you will be building in ten years.

I am not a fan of Holly for decking but your model has made me take a 180 , with the other colours, it looks so right on this build.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Playing catch up on a large scale Paul. OUTSTANDING work!

The speed at which you gain new skills amazes me and I can't comprehend what you will be building in ten years.

I am not a fan of Holly for decking but your model has made me take a 180 , with the other colours, it looks so right on this build.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you for this nice post, Nigel.

To be honest I LOVE the holly on the hull - I'm fairly indifferent about it on the deck - and I hate it on the ceiling. Alas, that ship has sailed, and it now is what it is.

In terms of new skills: I just posted on your build report that I am always impressed with you guys who can turn brass into magic - perhaps that is something for my future. Of course that would mean a lathe suitable for metal...

View attachment 451934

View attachment 451926

View attachment 451927

View attachment 451928

View attachment 451929

View attachment 451930

Here we go!

View attachment 451931

View attachment 451932

And now the total run.

View attachment 451933

interesting use of a needle file. I never thought of using it that way. Seems to work well.

Back