Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Paul, I have always strugle with ladder builts. Looks very simple, but you need the correct angle and technique to cut the slot (is this the correct word?) for the steps. Knowing how detail oriented are you and your skills, can you please tell me (us) how you did your ladder.
Thank you !!
Daniel
Sure Daniel. The next time I make a ladder I'll take some photos to show my very simple approach.

Thanks, Peter. I'm pretty happy with the result, though if you look at them side by side they are all a bit different. But I think (hope) that will disappear once they get installed...

I think that those minor differences wil only be seen by someone that knows they are there :) :) ;)

Problem is 16,932 members (and counting) know that now ROTF

Hi Paul,

Great work again, very stunning.

Two remarks:
-Now @stephan has seen your Aliexpress lathe he might reconsider visiting you when he needs an orthodontist.
-When will you tell us that you are only using 3D printed parts with woodprint on it?

You're work is flawless
@Steef66 would end up ordering budget braces from Ali, carving some orthodontic pliers from a discarded cherry table, and go full-on DIY before he would ever pay what I charge (actually, I'd treat him for free if he was willing to make the trip - or maybe trade him for wood-carving lessons) :D.

My thanks for the compliment!

Hello Vic! This lathe would be too small for all but the shortest spars - though I suppose one of the clever people on our forum (perhaps yourself?) could create a work-around for that limitation.
Not THAT clever, Paul. I’d just get a bigger lathe. Then I’d learn to make wooden bowls to find a use for it between ships.

Ok, joking aside I just went back and watched your post turning video again. You have some remarkable skills Paul, those posts/spindles are truly outstanding.
Thanks very much Roger. Actually, I don't think there is anything on my little video that every member of our forum couldn't manage. I was just trying to show an approach without actual wood-turning tools.

Hi, just curious to know how big a normal size lathe can be without decreasing the ability to make small ship parts?

I am looking to improve my proxxon mini lathe and havre hesitations.
Research Pen Turning lathes/ mini lates. They are so versatile with their available accessories. Three jaw, four jaw (holding square stock) & collet chucks, a variety of tail stock attachments and of course a hollow spindle allowing for longer pieces to be worked on.

Research Pen Turning lathes/ mini lates. They are so versatile with their available accessories. Three jaw, four jaw (holding square stock) & collet chucks, a variety of tail stock attachments and of course a hollow spindle allowing for longer pieces to be worked on.
Hi,
I done this research, but lead to mainly cheap chinese lathe, excepted may be this one :

ArtyMaster Mini Lathe (442 CAD with 4.8 stars on 5)​

71NufH8kOpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Otherwise, modest metal lathe would be interesting too and versatile. But I dont want to hijack the threads. I only want to know if a good Rikon wood lathe will done the job for smallest item. At the 422 $ it will be useful to know if it is really better than Proxxon.

Thanks,

Michel

Back