Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

I only want to know if a good Rikon wood lathe will done the job for smallest item.
I would think even a larger lathe would work - just use a chuck that is appropriate for the size of the work piece. Hopefully people with more experience that I have can weigh in as well.

That said, for $30 USD I enjoyed using the mini-lathe on these small posts. It was convenient (sits on a table) and was very quiet (no ear protection). I would rank it as one of my better purchases for our hobby despite its limited application.

Hi,
I done this research, but lead to mainly cheap chinese lathe, excepted may be this one :

ArtyMaster Mini Lathe (442 CAD with 4.8 stars on 5)​

View attachment 453268

Otherwise, modest metal lathe would be interesting too and versatile. But I dont want to hijack the threads. I only want to know if a good Rikon wood lathe will done the job for smallest item. At the 422 $ it will be useful to know if it is really better than Proxxon.

Thanks,

Michel
I just saw this one online, it seems to be built with precision in mind and comes with bulk tools loaded and accessories. With the same price tag and better functionality, it could be a great substitution for the Proxxon 250 lathe. I wonder how it works. Does anyone own this lathe? I keep an eye out for this one....

Last edited:
I would think even a larger lathe would work - just use a chuck that is appropriate for the size of the work piece. Hopefully people with more experience that I have can weigh in as well.

That said, for $30 USD I enjoyed using the mini-lathe on these small posts. It was convenient (sits on a table) and was very quiet (no ear protection). I would rank it as one of my better purchases for our hobby despite its limited application.
Thanks for your input. I should opt to chinese mini the.

Hi,
I done this research, but lead to mainly cheap chinese lathe, excepted may be this one :

ArtyMaster Mini Lathe (442 CAD with 4.8 stars on 5)​

View attachment 453268

Otherwise, modest metal lathe would be interesting too and versatile. But I dont want to hijack the threads. I only want to know if a good Rikon wood lathe will done the job for smallest item. At the 422 $ it will be useful to know if it is really better than Proxxon.

Thanks,

Michel

Hi Michel, I purchased a Rikon mini lathe a few years back (old stock - new version available). I also purchased a set of high speed miniature tools, all from LeeValley in Canada. I use the lathe for wood items other than ship modelling. However, I also bought a drill chuck and arbor with an MT2 taper later on to try out small ship model type items. The miniature turning tools are great but I needed finer and tighter detail for ship modelling and even those miniature tools are somewhat cumbersome for little stuff. I used to wood turn decades ago but that was on a 1000mm wood lathe with full size tools making toys for kids and even beer pump handles for pubs Beer. Turning tiny items like 1:64 spindles using actual turning tools, even miniature ones, is somewhat frustrating. I think I’m set in my ways but after what Paul @dockattner has achieved with files those techniques for little stuff will be very do-able on this lathe. I just have to get my ass into gear and try it :). The drill chuck is the key to holding the small items. My initial efforts at little spindles were not great but the wood was an issue too. Tight grain like boxwood or pear would hold an edge much better.

So, just some insight from my own experience. The Rikon is great, limited vibration when running is very good but you can dampen it more by placing the lathe on a stand on carpet or rubber matting. Having a larger mini lathe like the Rikon opens more turning abilities but of course it depends on what you want to achieve. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Great, thanks Roger. I have also in my Little shop a Snapmaker 3 un 1. I look for the Rotary tool and the New Spindler with spécial accessories for fast change if the base plate. HOWEVER for the dame cost I can have the proxxon metal lathe, or Vevor or wood lathe.

I can also have the ArtyMaster with a ropewalk from Domanoff for this Price...

So all the infos found here is good for me. Thanks to Everyone.

Michel

Hi, just curious to know how big a normal size lathe can be without decreasing the ability to make small ship parts?

I am looking to improve my proxxon mini lathe and havre hesitations.
I’ve used mine to make small yards. The stock has to be big enough to fit the chuck, but you can tool it down from there and cut off the excess. Mine is 10” by 18”.

Those lathe are sold on Aliexpress too. For a long time. Vevor copied them from there.
Thank you Steef66. found it on Uncle Ali, purchased it. Not as cheap as Paul's Amazon one (they keep prices low for underpaid orthodontists) but no complaints. Including shipping NZD108.00 - (USD66.47 - Euro62.01) Amazon shipping would have tripled what I paid from dear old uncle Ali... Again many thanks and cheers.

Hello Friends!

I've begun working on the upper deck: beams, carlings, ledges, lodging knees, and hanging knees (these last elements are being scratch built as they were not part of the kit offerings).

Progress has been understandably slow as there are lots of pieces in motion and each one needs to be carefully fit into place. I'm not digging the horrific matching of the layers of the carlings, but it was getting to the point that I wasn't using ANY of the kit parts and that started to feel like a big waste...

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

Lodging knees are the horizontal braces:

IMG_0818.JPG

And hanging knees are each custom matched to the hull shape at each beam location (these will be added closer to final installation of the deck):

IMG_0819.JPG

I'm now going to move to the back of the ship and work forward. There is a place near midships where it will be easy to hide any creep/discrepancy/builder error.

I also need to do the final installation of the lower deck rooms/walls and other details. That will inform how many more ledges (the athwartship slender sticks) I will be adding. I'm trying to balance interesting deck details with a view of the interesting below-deck details.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Last edited:
Back