Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hi Paul,

I'm with all the others. I've zoomed in and looked at you pictures on a 85" screen to look for flaws. Didn't find any....disappointed a bit. Feels the same when I lose a "spot the difference game" playing against my youngest which is 3!
Just wish I could see your work in person. Great work is an understatement.

Peter

I'm done reading this behemoth although I have to admit I skipped some of the nearly 2600 posts Redface
It was, and I'm sure, will be a very entertaining abd useful build log for many of us. I have to borrow Loracs' comment here: ...
I'm reading your log with great interest and using your work as "gold" reference... <- this is exactly what I thought while reading.

This is amazing.
And in the words of Grant Tyler:

"True story" ... a comment which gives this log a Vonnegut-esque character besides the teasing to hack away with japanese tools and dentist/orthodontist jokes. So it goes
I enjoyed following along with your trail of 'likes,' it gave me a chance to revisit some of those earlier posts. I certainly enjoy your build report as well - and it is more user-friendly in size!

Hi Paul,

I'm with all the others. I've zoomed in and looked at you pictures on a 85" screen to look for flaws. Didn't find any....disappointed a bit. Feels the same when I lose a "spot the difference game" playing against my youngest which is 3!
Just wish I could see your work in person. Great work is an understatement.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. I can't beat my 3-year-old grandchildren in games like that either ROTF.

And I agree with your comment about seeing my friends' work in person. I would LOVE that! Unfortunately, model shipbuilding is not a big thing where I live so there aren't really shows or competitions around me. I'm jealous of you guys with a modeling culture. I did try to join a local club, but they are deeply invested in the Nautical Research Guild and the forum it sponsors (one of their members is the ranking officer at the NRG). When they learned of my association with SOS, I was conveniently left off the mailing/invitation list for the local gathering. Pity. I'm sure I could have learned a lot from them.

The trick with thw washer (for tracing a shape against a surface at 90 deg has a name in old school English cabinetmaking - it is known as 'mousing' and the washer is the mouse. I guess the term comes from the way that mice will run around the edges of a room, rather than venture into the middle.
Thanks, Alan! I love that it has a name in woodworking tradition!

This has to be in my top 2 or 3 favorite build logs, probably the gold medal winner. Absolutely beautiful with the meticulous joinery. The many little things such as the spirketting being thicker than the quick stuff is just one of many examples that shows your attention to detail.
Allan

I did try to join a local club, but they are deeply invested in the Nautical Research Guild and the forum it sponsors (one of their members is the ranking officer at the NRG). When they learned of my association with SOS, I was conveniently left off the mailing/invitation list for the local gathering. Pity. I'm sure I could have learned a lot from them.
Sorry to say Paul that I was once a member of the NRG and even gave money to them until I finally had enough of their condescending elitist attitude. Was never banned from them however, after they read this post I probably will be. At my age I find life is way too short to care.

This has to be in my top 2 or 3 favorite build logs, probably the gold medal winner. Absolutely beautiful with the meticulous joinery. The many little things such as the spirketting being thicker than the quick stuff is just one of many examples that shows your attention to detail.
Allan
This is a very nice post, Allan. I'm blushing. If anything is turning out right on this build it is only a reflection of the excellent resource that David Anscherl has produced (TFFM). Of course, I'm quite new to this hobby and typically rely on hand tools rather than machined solutions so I often find myself unable to produce the parts at the requisite tolerances. I'm sorry I did not discover this pastime years ago...

Sorry to say Paul that I was once a member of the NRG and even gave money to them until I finally had enough of their condescending elitist attitude. Was never banned from them however, after they read this post I probably will be. At my age I find life is way too short to care.
Years and years ago I belonged to a bonsai forum. At one point a discussion came up about whether we were becoming a little too elitist. I remember to this day someone saying, "This isn't elitist, if you want elitist go to the model ship groups." I wasn't into ship building at the time but for some reason that stuck with me all these years and hobbies later. I'm sorry to say but I actually think it's true.
SOS seems to be the exception :)

I was once banned but I appealed that decision via the moderator, and he acknowledged my banning appeared to be a mistake and I was quickly reinstated. My interaction with him was very favorable. I have no grievance with the NRG or the forum they sponsor. They chose to dissociate from me - not the other way around. I even rejoined the local group (paying their modest dues again) but that didn't work.

All that said, I'm happy to learn from the excellent members here... I just wish there was a local show or competition so I could see other models in person.

Nice to see your manual for marking and making the waterways, Paul. Very effective!
And great progress with the build and nice ‘structure look-through pictures.
Regards, Peter

Clever idea with the washer - simple clever -> good

So many great and very well deserved compliments Paul. Your work is truly stunning and I’ve said before how your photos show off your build/s so well. I also agree with the others about your clever use of a washer for the waterways.

Back