Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Two days spent figuring out how to make cambered beams - two days to make them - and all anyone wants to talk about is the 2 minute measuring tool ROTFROTFROTF.

It's the simple joys in life that matter most boys :D!
Lol, and it's simple. I use sometimes my magnetic arm extension to measure

IMG_4313.JPG

But I must admid, most of the time I use that to find my sewing needles back, that are hiding on the floor.

Hello Friends,

I've been having a problem with one of my eyes (retinal bleed) and I went in today for some treatment and now I can hardly see at all (temporary). Of course that means I can't work on my ship.

But I couldn't sleep last night (anxious about my procedure) so I ended up in the Kattner Shipyard installing gudgeons and the rudder before my eye appointment. Here is the result (all accomplished with only one functioning eye :rolleyes: :)).

View attachment 428358

View attachment 428359

View attachment 428360

View attachment 428363

View attachment 428362

I can't wait until I can see clearly again to learn how it all turned out ROTF. Thanks for the visit!
Paul, again beautiful work!! Sorry to hear about the Retinal Bleed, I had the same issue over 10 years ago, they gave me coagulation shots in my eye until the bleeding stopped. Took about a years worth of shots, but no bleed since. I do have scar tissue in that eye where the bleed was. I have been down with a full right hip replacement 2 weeks ago, starting to feel a bit normal again. Hope all goes well with your eye!! Paul

Paul, again beautiful work!! Sorry to hear about the Retinal Bleed, I had the same issue over 10 years ago, they gave me coagulation shots in my eye until the bleeding stopped. Took about a years worth of shots, but no bleed since. I do have scar tissue in that eye where the bleed was. I have been down with a full right hip replacement 2 weeks ago, starting to feel a bit normal again. Hope all goes well with your eye!! Paul
And my best wishes for your full recovery as well!

Hi Paul132
I had full hip replacement last May
It took me about 6 weeks to walk fully normally and play golf again :)
Best for fast recovery is to exercise; no secret

Hi Paul132
I had full hip replacement last May
It took me about 6 weeks to walk fully normally and play golf again :)
Best for fast recovery is to exercise; no secret
Gilbert, thanks, yes 6 to 8 weeks to feel normal again.....cant wait!!

Beams are roughed in...

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

That was more work than I had anticipated. My respect to all of you scratch builders out there.

Next up: I have been looking at how to build some rooms that sit on the aft platform. The TFFM series has some drawings, but they are for the Pegasus. I have the NMM plans for the Kingfisher but they are difficult to understand and apply (my lack of experience frequently catches up with me) as they are not construction drawings per se...

AND... (THIS IS A REALLY BIG AND)...I just figured out that by following TFFM as closely as I have for this build that I have deviated from the plans for the Kingfisher in ways that cannot be remedied. So the question becomes: still call this the Kingfisher? Build out the interior as the Pegasus (or other swan class ship)? Build a hybrid with some Kingfisher details but some Pegasus stuff mixed in?

Anyway, I have some figuring to do. Still having fun though!

Beams are roughed in...

View attachment 430437

View attachment 430438

View attachment 430439

That was more work than I had anticipated. My respect to all of you scratch builders out there.

Next up: I have been looking at how to build some rooms that sit on the aft platform. The TFFM series has some drawings, but they are for the Pegasus. I have the NMM plans for the Kingfisher but they are difficult to understand and apply (my lack of experience frequently catches up with me) as they are not construction drawings per se...

AND... (THIS IS A REALLY BIG AND)...I just figured out that by following TFFM as closely as I have for this build that I have deviated from the plans for the Kingfisher in ways that cannot be remedied. So the question becomes: still call this the Kingfisher? Build out the interior as the Pegasus (or other swan class ship)? Build a hybrid with some Kingfisher details but some Pegasus stuff mixed in?

Anyway, I have some figuring to do. Still having fun though!
The beams are nicely placed, Paul.
I wish I could help you understand the Kingfisher plans from here. Does the 'Pegasus papers' as a guideline really mean nothing about the Kingfisher plans? I also had to look at the drawings from 1911 for my current construction for a long time before I understood them. I wish you a lot of 'new insight'.
Regards, Peter

The beams are nicely placed, Paul.
I wish I could help you understand the Kingfisher plans from here. Does the 'Pegasus papers' as a guideline really mean nothing about the Kingfisher plans? I also had to look at the drawings from 1911 for my current construction for a long time before I understood them. I wish you a lot of 'new insight'.
Regards, Peter
Well, I guess the TFFM series does show how walls and doors are built...

But the location of the well, beams, even the number of beams, is different - as are all the room configurations. At least that's what I think I am seeing. More study is needed and then some decisions... How about Pegafisher? Kingasus? ROTF

Ships were in a constant state of re-configuration, and the practicalities of re-arranging the 'tween decks would be among the more malleable aspects of a given ship's service life. If subsequent designs proved to be more efficient, then previous vessels would/could be altered to match. As long as she looks like the Kingfisher from a hull and rig standpoint, I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise.

Ships were in a constant state of re-configuration, and the practicalities of re-arranging the 'tween decks would be among the more malleable aspects of a given ship's service life. If subsequent designs proved to be more efficient, then previous vessels would/could be altered to match. As long as she looks like the Kingfisher from a hull and rig standpoint, I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise.
Agree with this totally! Ships carpenter could easily reconfigure interior spaces based on many things, from new personnel with new ideas, bribes or relationships, battle damage, etc. It was a living thing, continually morphing and adapting. I don't thing major things like beams would change unless they went into overhaul. Just my thoughts having seen what goes on in the USN ships I've been on...my guess is things weren't so different back then.

Like everyone else, I'm in awe of the quality and also the speed at which you're progressing on this build. Thanks for the awesome pictures!

Hi Paul. You know I am an expert starting off building one ship and ending up with a totally different one. :D I think you should call the ship Ithaca harking back to Homer's Odyssey. It is not the final destination that is important, it is the journey that counts.

Back