Kyrenia Ship, 290 BCE Reconstruction POF Build Log PT-2 [COMPLETED BUILD]

My thanks to all as she is proceeding one day at a time as that is all that I have. ;) Rich
While waiting for the glue to set on the second inner wale piece I went back to rough out an anchor for the boat:
Kyrenia Anchor Research Paper.jpg
Sorry for the inverted research paper head.
Now I'll try for the anchor diagram taking those scaled dimensions in cm down to the 1:43 scale model size with the roughed out piece.
Now the recovered anchor tip piece:
Kyrenia Anchor Tip recovered.jpg
Kyrenia Anchor.jpg

They also recovered the lead weights which were in the cross arm but I will not include those.
Rich

While waiting for the glue to set on the second inner wale piece I went back to rough out an anchor for the boat:
View attachment 265550
Sorry for the inverted research paper head.
Now I'll try for the anchor diagram taking those scaled dimensions in cm down to the 1:43 scale model size with the roughed out piece.
Now the recovered anchor tip piece:
View attachment 265552
View attachment 265551

They also recovered the lead weights which were in the cross arm but I will not include those.
Rich
Adhesive set on both wide lower wales today:
Kyrenia Inner Wales.jpg
One side view of the Stbd.
Nwale curvature:
Kyrenia Stbd Inner Wale.jpg

Now setting the thin upper wale with a spacer shim:
Kyrenia Stbd Upper Wale Setting.jpg

And followed by the Port after Stbd was set:
Kyrenia Port Upper Wale Setting.jpg Same procedure with a fix on the Port aft end which was not engaged with the frame.
Tomorrow will be a break to do some shaping of the anchor.
RIch

Adhesive set on both wide lower wales today:
View attachment 265603
One side view of the Stbd.
Nwale curvature:
View attachment 265604

Now setting the thin upper wale with a spacer shim:
View attachment 265606

And followed by the Port after Stbd was set:
View attachment 265607 Same procedure with a fix on the Port aft end which was not engaged with the frame.
Tomorrow will be a break to do some shaping of the anchor.
RIch
No assembly today, just cutting out parts associated with the instruction illustration for sanding and prep with stain.
First the morning's plan Kyrenia interior Wales in Place.jpgview of both interior wales:
And the interior side view of them:
Interior Wales side view.jpg
And after cutting out most parts I sanded and prepped the interior ones as noted with numbers on the instruction illustration. There are no other details about placement and the color illustration is small, dark, and the arrows to the parts not distinguishable. So the parts are drying after the stain waiting for tomorrow's call to action station:
Kyrenia Interior Parts Prep.jpg
So now it is off to pick up my Irish Tin Whistle for practice in learning how to coordinate my fingers on those holes.

She is looking very good Rich! When the rails go on, it will do wonders for the overall integrity of the look.

She is looking very good Rich! When the rails go on, it will do wonders for the overall integrity of the look.
After prepping the interior "structural" parts I have set them in place.
Kyrenia Interior structure.jpg
As none of these were existing when the wreck was recovered they are speculative but generally as on the contemporary Kyrenia experimental full sized sailing vessels. The dowel is to establish positioning the parts around the mast. And the anchor scaled down from the research paper assumption of what it was gives some sense of scale to that of the ship.
An overhead view:
Kyrenia Interior structure overhead view.jpg
The "hook" anchor was an evolution from stone "dead weights" to early curd arms and then this which had lead inside of the lower portion of the cross arms and a metal beak on the hook:
Kyrenia Hook Anchor.jpg
There was a cable hole in the top for deployment and recovery but I have not idea what the nose on the bottom was.
Kyrenia Hook Anchor Metal Beak.jpg
That metal beak was encrusted forming a mold to determine the shape of the metal plate that was formed around the wood and also preserved that part of the anchor.
In deployment, the cable would keep the weighted top up and when the hook engaged the bottom the lead weights in the cross arm would bring down assisting the hook to dig in.
Kyrenai Hook  Anchor purchase as intended.jpg
Next will be the more touchy stancheons and the kit designed railings as I am getting closer to the masting itself with the required fittings.

I like your anchor!
Thanks. It would be interesting to do a trial in seawater to see if the hook would be downwards or up when the cable would be slowly pulling it forward. Possibly there is enough wood in the main stock to have it floating above the lesser amount in the hook.

Looking great Rich! I love the wood colors! ;)
Well, in my mind my log should reflect the realities of the days as to what actually occurs and not only the show pieces of my progress. Today shows little as on the side I had to scratch make a broken rail part where the kit did not cut out the small stantions squares which are very close to the edges and ends of the rail part. I used that as a template to trace onto some of the "spaces" between the laser cutouts to make a new one which shows the crude first cut on the bench in front of my placement of the first/stbd rail which was tied down and tensioned in place for the day to set:
Kyrenia Stbd Rail in place.jpg
On the replacement part I learned the lesson to do the holes and then work back toward them.
Tonight's Port railing is on the bench. Now to get it set and held to the shear curve:
Kyrenia Port Rail in place.jpg1-2-3 blocks with a lead piece provide the gravity which for this need is better than the morning tie-around which displaced the midships rail inwards.
Prepped and stained the rest of the railings pieces for their placement next.

Thanks. It would be interesting to do a trial in seawater to see if the hook would be downwards or up when the cable would be slowly pulling it forward. Possibly there is enough wood in the main stock to have it floating above the lesser amount in the hook.
Still I think that you should consider the lead weigh which was found in the boat, which is regarded as a part of the anchor specifically to hold the anchor down.1635664319891.png

Last edited:
Still I think that you should consider the lead weigh which was found in the boat, which is regarded as a part of the anchor specifically to hold the anchor down.View attachment 266193
Yes, that paper was the one that I used and had posted upsidedown. My question is if the lead weight would have the beak pointing up or down during the descent. As I specuate more wood on the stock may float it above the beak holding it in the engaging position beak down. Once there the lead weight would certainly keep the cable end down and the cross arm holding it in most instances from rolling over. . . beak up. Rich

THAT was the railing I was waiting for to go on! It is a major improvement and once the starboard side goes on, you will have a very nice integrated model - both in structure and as far as visual appeal goes.

THAT was the railing I was waiting for to go on! It is a major improvement and once the starboard side goes on, you will have a very nice integrated model - both in structure and as far as visual appeal goes.
To satisfy Heinrich's interest in how the rails came our from under their setting load I found:
Kyrenia Both rails on.jpg
Next to the four sets of rectangular holes through the hull for some cross members bow and stern:
Kyrenai Rectangular holes for penitrating member.jpg
This bow port side was first located on each side and then started with small drill holes to check the alignment for enlargement to the member's size. I use a squaring tool that I made for earlier models which is secured onto one side of the stem and stern risers to slide the cross arms into position for view testing;
Kyrenia Center Squaring Tool.jpg
This was for a check of the rudder crossing member and after much testing and filing to get it into position:
Kyrenia Stern Rudder Cross Member Top VIew.jpg
This view is off of a center so it looks like the member is not centered. The thin strips on the cutting board are the hull wales which will pass on the bottom sides of the cross members fore and aft to the stem and stern pieces.
So if I don't have other pieces to prep or need break here are a couple of my diversions:
What I do alternatives when waiting for glue to dry.jpg
The concertina ties back to my mother's side of the family, full Swedes, where I like to play songs and dance tunes that would have been familiar to my "mormormor" (maternal great grandmother); and the Irish Tin Whistle (low cost for learning to play) and for which I have ordered two of higher quality from Ireland (real metal and not synthetic like this one), Keys of D and C, which should produce a much better tones and octave changes than this leaner one in D does but the fingering will be the same.
Sweden to Scotland and centering on a wreck from Cyprus!!!
Rich

Oh WOW! Now you have taken me back with the concertina. My father was an excellent concertina player who made many records. And to the topic of the Kyrenia - now doesn't she look pretty with her hat on! Well done Rich! Thumbsup

My father's concertina was an East German Gallotte. This today is one of my most prized possessions - it is with my son and looks and functions like the day it was made. Posing with it is my late Yorkshire Terrier, Rota.

IMG-20160809-WA0003.jpg

My father's concertina was an East German Gallotte. This today is one of my most prized possessions - it is with my son and looks and functions like the day it was made. Posing with it is my late Yorkshire Terrier, Rota.

View attachment 266340
Your father's concertina looks like a twenty button which is what mine is. I am only a stumbler and bumbler and not an expert but there is always hope in the future ;) Rich

Your father's concertina looks like a twenty button which is what mine is. I am only a stumbler and bumbler and not an expert but there is always hope in the future ;) Rich
Following setting of the first wale I prepped the stantions and had to drill two holes into the midships set for two lines passing between the fixed wood rails fore and aft. Here is the mini-vise jig to hold each for drilling:
Kyrenia Stantion drilling clamp jig.jpg
Now we have the Port Wale in place completing that step along with the Stantions and wood rail pieces:
Kyrnia Port Wale.jpg
Next are bow and stern views of the wales alignments:
Kyrenia Bow View Wales.jpg
Kyrnia Stern View Wales.jpg
and on to a clear Stbd. elevation of the boat before setting the Stantions:
Kyrnia Stbd Elevation.jpg

Following setting of the first wale I prepped the stantions and had to drill two holes into the midships set for two lines passing between the fixed wood rails fore and aft. Here is the mini-vise jig to hold each for drilling:
View attachment 266552
Now we have the Port Wale in place completing that step along with the Stantions and wood rail pieces:
View attachment 266553
Next are bow and stern views of the wales alignments:
View attachment 266554
View attachment 266555
and on to a clear Stbd. elevation of the boat before setting the Stantions:
View attachment 266556
Today was a lot of filing and aligning the fore deck stantions and railings so that the holes were aligned. Typically with kit laser cuts and build variations on the computerized perfect fit there were numerous adjustments needed. Once done I installed the port side first using spaces for the railings:
Kyrenia Spacers for setting Fore deck Railings.jpg
The same combinations will be used for all:

Kyrenia Fore Deck Railings and Bottom Shroud Thimbles.jpg
Going out of kit instructions sequence I made the thimbles for the shrouds and fed the lines through the main cap railing to be tied off below:
Kyrenia Mast Shrouds Thimbles Lines.jpgThe lines wrap around the small inside longitudinal piece under the main railing (tomorrow)
So here will be what I walk upon tomorrow:
Kyrenia Foredeck Railings Side View.jpgSimilar to the fore deck railings will be the longer aft railings with additional stantions and need to align everything.

Looking more complete all the time Rich. Nice to see you making such good progress.

Back