La Belle 1/36 - Plan by Jean Boudriot / myself

Looking very good - and I have to say, that it was a good and correct step to remake this element until it was fulfilling all your expectations !
Especially for a learning project not often usual. and the round heads of the bolts are looking very good.....
The notches on the two beams towards the bow are missing or? I mean the notches for the carlings......
My friend -> very very good and accurate work
PS: did you use already the FF230 for this work?

Thanks for you kind words, Uwe.
I used the MF 70 an the FF230 for this work. The FF for the scarf joint.
All notches are done but on the other side they are different !

View attachment 166772
As a new model builder I don't have the milling tools and still rely on hand work and sharp blades. The precision in your notches made me wonder how you cut those so precisely. Was it all machine driven as you identify with the Proxxon MF tools? I don't know anything aboat that side of our hobbe and need to learn . . . or is it spend more of my ships stores sheckles for bigger boy toys? PT-2

Thanks to all for the likes and the commendations

@PT-2

Not simple to responde. I can write a book with 1000 pages about "my" way. First i am a newbee as well. I build only one one-master before and i me dedicate very fast to this kind of modelling. Other modellers use a lot of money to buy kits, my goal was everytime to buy tools to build a POF-Model. Better tools you have, better result you will get. Especial if you don´t have any skills because the missing experience. The secret to don´t waste money is to don´t buy a tool if you don´t need it ! Every part that you see in this log is for me as well a learning process. In the exemple of the breasthook, a big trial and error. I spend sometime much more time to think about a problem and to reasearch for it than for the work on it. Good preparation is here everything and if you know what you do you will win the battle.
The notches are only milled and are simple to do. Important is to mark them very well on all beams together. Is´s a great picture an you have to mark exactly.
If you use then the MF 70 for the nothes its only calculation in way of movement of the table. If you do a error, you will see it on the course of the carling.

Last edited:
I am off track here in looking as much at your build board/keel clamp and wood end bar clamps as I am at your excellent framing work. Please share some more views of just the bar clamps as I would like to copy and make some of those for my own use. . . or were they purchased? I have a hunch that you made those. Excellent work on both sides of my observations of which I am not experienced enough to make any meaningful framing comments beyond how well it appears to my novice eye. PT-2

Your previous comment from 7/26 is spot on. Buy the tools. That’s my goal also to build a plank on frame ship. Huge undertaking but it’s within our means. I’m curious if accurate milking can be done with the proxxon motor tool drill stand and x/y table ? Instead of the milling machine ?

Last edited:
Hi Oliver,
this looks very good.Thumbsup
Karl

deine Werkstatt , TOP !!! :oops:
I have to also agree with the recommendation to acquire and be able to use the right and good tools. Wrong or less expensive ones often lead to problems and frustration. I don' have a milling machine and what I have is not that accurate except by trial and error on test pieces to "find" the right adjustment; a combination of not enough knowledge and experience along with a tool that does not dial in precisely where I want it to do the work. My background has been and is more handcrafting but the more newly acquire "shop tools" are gradually becoming more comfortable to use but not as efficiently as a higher priced item, known by a member of SoS would be. Slow and careful to do the cut only once! As the hurried carpenter said, "I cut if off twice and it is still too short." Or the other side of the construction coin, "A good painter can make a finish carpenter out of anyone." PT-2

I have to also agree with the recommendation to acquire and be able to use the right and good tools. Wrong or less expensive ones often lead to problems and frustration. I don' have a milling machine and what I have is not that accurate except by trial and error on test pieces to "find" the right adjustment; a combination of not enough knowledge and experience along with a tool that does not dial in precisely where I want it to do the work. My background has been and is more handcrafting but the more newly acquire "shop tools" are gradually becoming more comfortable to use but not as efficiently as a higher priced item, known by a member of SoS would be. Slow and careful to do the cut only once! As the hurried carpenter said, "I cut if off twice and it is still too short." Or the other side of the construction coin, "A good painter can make a finish carpenter out of anyone." PT-2
measure twice cut once. you can always cut another piece off but you cant cut a piece on.

Back