La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Continued: Clarifying the yardarms

After an extensive web search I came across this book: "Description de l'art de la Mâture" (published in 1778) by Charles Nicolas Romme.
Below are excerpts of the yardarms: Fig. 38 clearly explains the "oval" cross-sections in the area of the cleats on the yardarms.
View attachment 341123
In connection with the design of the yardarms for the La Créole, the question of the chronological classification naturally arises: The Le Rivoli is from 1810, the Le Sphinx from 1829 and the Le Neptune from 1836. In this respect, this is for the epoch of the La Créole applicable.

Apparently I'm not the only one who stumbled across this problem. So thanks again to G. Delacroix who gave me the crucial hint.
For my model, however, the question now arises as to how I can reconcile this detail with the drawings by J. Boudriot. I would prefer to stick to the original model. Unfortunately I don't have any meaningful detailed pictures. Ultimately, I will have to make a decision about this detailed design, even with the risk that it will not be entirely correct.
it is the same book but in Italian

Hello,
in between I made a video about the naval artillery of my french corvette. I tried to show the different stages of construction.
I hope that one or the other likes it and perhaps serves as inspiration.
Have fun ! LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Johann,

It is every time "eine Augenweide" to see your metal works - sorry to use this german term, which I can not translate, means somehow "extremly good"

The form of the hooks is very realsitic, and I recognized, that they are brass cast - did you made them by yourself?
Eine Augenweide - "A feast for the Eyes?"

Hello,
many thanks to you for your interest and your contributions, as well as thanks to the many LIKES.

Continued: Clarifying the yard arms
After researching contemporary ship models from the Musée national de Marine, I assembled a collection of yard arms as shown below:
Sammlung_Rahnocken.jpg

As you can see, there were the most diverse forms of yardarms, probably also depending on the shipyard in which these yards were manufactured. But they all have the "spiky" cleats, which do not always stick out vertically, but often horizontally and are mainly to be found on the topsail yards. The yard arms of the lower yards were somewhat simpler and often designed like the following example from L'Achille 1804:

musee_de_la_marine_L`Achille_1804_1.jpg
Source: Musée national de Marine, L'Achille 1804

LaCreole_vergue.jpg
Source: monograph La Créole v. J Boudriot

Taking into account the results of the research in connection with Boudriot's drawings, I tried, initially in drawing, to represent the yards of the Mars yards of La Créole as they might have looked. In particular, I orientated myself on the yard arm of the yard on the model of the Le Suffren 1829. Not only does the period fit, the Le Suffren was also designed by the naval architect P. M. Leroux, like the La Créole. Therefore, I see my subsequent attempt at reconstruction as a thoroughly realistic variant.
extremite_vergues_LaCreole.jpg

The cleats may also have been vertical. In this respect, I will also draw a variant and then make a decision.
Sequel follows …

Hello,
this interesting picture was made available to me by G. Delacroix. It dates from around 1830.
cercle11.jpg

"Gerard,
Thank you very much, that is a very big help, especially the chronological classification."

This gives me confidence in my decision to bring the studding sail boom irons directly in front of the yards.
I recently received higher resolution images from La Créole from the Musée national de Marine Paris. You can see the details of the yardarms a little better there. But only so far that you can see that the studding sail boom irons do not have a 45 ° angle, but place the studding sail boom directly in front of the yards.

Here I show a compilation of the lower yard arms of La Créole in the form of excerpts from the image material available to me.
LaCreole_Rahnock_Unterrah.jpg
Source: Musée national de Marine Paris

Very interesting detail from Gérard - and many thanks for sharing with us
Now you know everything necessary I guess - you are a perfectioniest (in a positive meaning)

Continuation: Clarification of the yardarms
As already announced, I have now also drawn a variant with vertical cleats. However, with this variant I see a big problem with the guidance of the topgallant sheets.
extremite_vergues_V1_LaCreole.jpg

In addition, I find on the contemporary ship models actually predominantly horizontally arranged cleats.
The pictures of the La Créole, which were kindly given to me by the Musée national de Marine Paris, do not show the decisive details of these filigree parts in spite of a higher resolution. But in connection with the already shown yardarm of the Le Suffren I will most likely realize the previously drawn variant. The yardarm of the Le Friedland 1810 also goes in this same direction.
extremite_vergues_LaCreole_1.jpg

During all the research I also found out that the yardarms of the lower yards so far are not quite correct, so I simply made these yards (shown in the picture above) again, as shown below:
DSC00806.jpg

To be continued ...

Fantastic research Johann and a great drawing. It's a shame to hear you can't make out much in the pictures, all I can say is Paris is worth a trip ;) .
I would travel with you, I would like to see also once this amazing collection of model ships..... but .....
The museum in Paris is since years closed, due to a huge renovation - there are rumours, that they will reopen next year, but who knows.......
Nevertheless let us keep this in mind - to organize a group visit.......

Continuation: Clarification of the yardarms
As already announced, I have now also drawn a variant with vertical cleats. However, with this variant I see a big problem with the guidance of the topgallant sheets.
View attachment 346653

In addition, I find on the contemporary ship models actually predominantly horizontally arranged cleats.
The pictures of the La Créole, which were kindly given to me by the Musée national de Marine Paris, do not show the decisive details of these filigree parts in spite of a higher resolution. But in connection with the already shown yardarm of the Le Suffren I will most likely realize the previously drawn variant. The yardarm of the Le Friedland 1810 also goes in this same direction.
View attachment 346654

During all the research I also found out that the yardarms of the lower yards so far are not quite correct, so I simply made these yards (shown in the picture above) again, as shown below:
View attachment 346652

To be continued ...
it can help

var.jpg

The museum in Paris is scheduled to reopen in October 2023. I would also be there for a visit. Unfortunately, not all models are always exhibited. So it may be that you don't see your favorite model in the exhibition.

Best regards
Thomas

Hello fellow colleagues,
happy new year 2023, and above all health.
Before we continue with the yards with fresh energy and motivation, I would like to clarify one more question about the ship's compass.

ship compass
There is a cylindrical part on the back of the La Créole compass housing, which I recently discovered in one of the high-resolution images from the Musée national de Marine Paris.
Kompass_LaCreole.jpg

This part can be seen even better on a photograph of the steering gear of a contemporary model from the Paris Museum (compass is unfortunately missing).
P1040106.jpg

I would like to add this part to my model and find out more about its function.
Based on what I've learned so far, I see two possibilities:
- It could be a so-called flinders bar (soft iron corrector), which reduces the influence of the compass needle on iron parts;
- or to a lighting.
However, the fact that it is a wooden ship speaks against the flinders bar. Only the guns could have a corresponding impact on the compass needle.
Basically, these brass binnacles of the compasses were illuminated with oil lamps, which were also cylindrical and designed with a round attachment (ventilation). From what I saw on the internet, for example, these cylindrical parts were located directly on top of the housing and were usually attached on both sides.

Therefore, I see this part in its function as a soft iron corrector, or is there another explanation?

I would be very grateful for your help with this. It would be nice if I could get more information on this.

Hello fellow colleagues,
happy new year 2023, and above all health.
Before we continue with the yards with fresh energy and motivation, I would like to clarify one more question about the ship's compass.

ship compass
There is a cylindrical part on the back of the La Créole compass housing, which I recently discovered in one of the high-resolution images from the Musée national de Marine Paris.
View attachment 349288

This part can be seen even better on a photograph of the steering gear of a contemporary model from the Paris Museum (compass is unfortunately missing).
View attachment 349289

I would like to add this part to my model and find out more about its function.
Based on what I've learned so far, I see two possibilities:
- It could be a so-called flinders bar (soft iron corrector), which reduces the influence of the compass needle on iron parts;
- or to a lighting.
However, the fact that it is a wooden ship speaks against the flinders bar. Only the guns could have a corresponding impact on the compass needle.
Basically, these brass binnacles of the compasses were illuminated with oil lamps, which were also cylindrical and designed with a round attachment (ventilation). From what I saw on the internet, for example, these cylindrical parts were located directly on top of the housing and were usually attached on both sides.

Therefore, I see this part in its function as a soft iron corrector, or is there another explanation?

I would be very grateful for your help with this. It would be nice if I could get more information on this.
Hi Archjofo, it could also be an artesian card holder

Back