La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Isn't it too far down for a lamp?
Yes the only strange thing on it. I search on Google and found this picture
service-pnp-habshaer-ca-ca1400-ca1493-sheet-00058v.jpg
And looking further on that picture there is also a document available to download.
Hope this will help in your search.

@Steef66
Many Thanks, for the really informative documentation. They are very helpful.

@Frank48
Many thanks to you too for the very instructive book excerpts.
Everything is explained there in great detail.

After seeing and reading all this, I'm becoming more and more aware that this is a flinders bar.

Last edited:
Maybe the compass question can still be solved,
in the meantime things will continue with the yards:

Continued: Making the yards - main topsail yard - Vergue de grand hunier
For long enough I evaded the decision to execute the yardarms of the main topsail yard. Further research on this did not bring any new findings.
Now that the holidays are over and with renewed vigor in the new year, I have decided on the following embodiment of the yardarms of the topsail yards, as already signaled in one of the last posts:
DSC00812.thumb.jpg.02a571b5f323e76cfe62affc6c986d8b.jpg
So now we can continue with the production of the yards.
Sequel follows …

I found a Dutch document, free to download, about ship navigation. Don't know if you can read or translate it. But there is a lot of information about navigation of ships. And also a lot of information how these compass with correction works. Maybe more information for you to study. To create the compass that fit more in time and construction to your ship. Like the sphere on each side of the compass. The magnets inside the wooden part below the compass housing to calibrate the compass. Details to show.

Hello,
On the subject of compass, the discussion in the MSW also considered the possibility that a lamp could also be attached below the compass rose. The documents from @Frank48 obviously also show this and in this respect I am unsure again. Should the compass of La Creole actually have been a lamp? Because actually the compass should have been illuminated, right?

your ship is of 1827. In that time there where already a lot of correctors attached. The compass shown on the model is an exact copy of the compass in real or is this a simplify version of it? Did the La Creole of 1827 be equipped with a compass that contains only a light on the side? Or should the compass not be more looking like a version of below picture?
Naamloos-2.jpg

I translated a part of the last link I gave about the Dutch document. The flinders bar was an invention of Captain Flinder and would be in my opinion a part of the compass in that time. The magnets in the wooden part and the spheres on both sides could be from a later time.
How do you think about this theory?

Attachments

• English.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 12
  • German.pdf
    238.5 KB · Views: 8
@Steef66
Hello Stephan,
the plans of La Creole are dated 1827. The corvette was launched in 1829 and commissioned in 1830. I assume that the compass on the original Paris model was very detailed and corresponded to the state of the art at the time.
It also shows this part, which is the subject of this discussion. I think the La Creole's compass wasn't as sophisticated as the one you show in the picture.
This appears to be a modern compass.

In my starting position in #318, I presented the two options for the part under discussion - Flinders bar - lamp I had my doubts about the Flinders bar, since it is a wooden ship, and about the lamp it was the low mounting, below the wind rose.
But obviously the binnacles also had lower lamps, as can also be seen in your documents in #324. A fellow German model builder found another compass in the NMM archives that seems relevant in this context. The downside is that they date from the 1930s!
LINK
So it would be quite conceivable that this is a lamp, especially since a compass without lighting is not necessarily an advantage.
But that does not yet give security for a correct statement.

@Steef66
Hello Stephan,
the plans of La Creole are dated 1827. The corvette was launched in 1829 and commissioned in 1830. I assume that the compass on the original Paris model was very detailed and corresponded to the state of the art at the time.
It also shows this part, which is the subject of this discussion. I think the La Creole's compass wasn't as sophisticated as the one you show in the picture.
This appears to be a modern compass.

In my starting position in #318, I presented the two options for the part under discussion - Flinders bar - lamp I had my doubts about the Flinders bar, since it is a wooden ship, and about the lamp it was the low mounting, below the wind rose.
But obviously the binnacles also had lower lamps, as can also be seen in your documents in #324. A fellow German model builder found another compass in the NMM archives that seems relevant in this context. The downside is that they date from the 1930s!
LINK
So it would be quite conceivable that this is a lamp, especially since a compass without lighting is not necessarily an advantage.
But that does not yet give security for a correct statement.
Like I first suggested. And the brass is just a cap on the compass to protect it. The compass is actually in the wooden part. I seen somewhere a construction like that. It is highly possible that this ship doesn't have the need of a flinders bar.

Hello colleagues,
I am still completing the detail on the compass later.

Continuation: Making the yards - Topgallant yards - Vergue de perroquet
After the topsail yards, we continued with the making of the topgallant yards.
Here is a quick look at my workplace with the most important utensils for making the yards:
DSC00837.jpg

The diameters of the topgallant yards, especially in the outer sections, range around 1.6 mm. In this respect, it is not surprising, if you work without a steady rest, that it can sometimes come to breakage.
DSC00839.jpg

At the latest when working on the yardarms, it is advisable to support the filigree yards with a steady rest.
DSC00840.jpg

The next picture shows the finishing of the octagon in the center of the yardarm.
DSC00841.jpg

The last picture should give an impression of how filigree the topgallant yards are compared to the lower yards. It shows the yardarms of the main yard compared to the mizzen topgallant yard. The octagon of the yardarm of the mizzen topgallant yard still has a width of 1.3 mm at the outer end.
DSC00842.jpg

Of course, the royal yards can be made even thinner and more filigree. Especially the octagonal shaping at the yardarms requires special care.
To be continued ...

Continuation: Making the topgallant yards - Vergue de cacatois
In the meantime, I have started making the topgallant yards. As already written in the last report, the topgallant yards are even thinner and more filigree, like the topsail yards.
The dimensions from the plan documents of J. Boudriot were again compared by me with the data of a contemporary original document. This table shows the dimensions of the masts and yards of the La Blonde, which is identical in construction to the La Créole. All dimensions corresponded to the drawings, as is clearly shown in the following drawing.
Royalrahen_LaCreole.jpg

I have already noted that with these dimensions at ø 1.4 mm it is no longer feasible without a steady rest. A toothpick, for example, has a diameter of 1.8 mm. In this respect, particular care should be taken here and not too much pressure should be exerted on the roundwood.
DSC00848.jpg

The shaping of the square edge with the octagonal yardarm also requires sensitive processing, which can be seen in the next picture.
DSC00849.jpg

At the end of this work, a comparison of yardarms:
Main yard, mizzen toppsail yard and mizzen topgallant yard
DSC00854.jpg
Now two lower studding sail booms have to be made to hang on the fore channels.
With the gaff (upper spar) and the driver boom (lower boom) already made some time ago, all the sail-carrying spars for the French corvette are then ready. They will then be equipped with the necessary fittings (sheaves, boom irons, etc.).

To be continued ...

Continuation: Making the topgallant yards - Vergue de cacatois
In the meantime, I have started making the topgallant yards. As already written in the last report, the topgallant yards are even thinner and more filigree, like the topsail yards.
The dimensions from the plan documents of J. Boudriot were again compared by me with the data of a contemporary original document. This table shows the dimensions of the masts and yards of the La Blonde, which is identical in construction to the La Créole. All dimensions corresponded to the drawings, as is clearly shown in the following drawing.
View attachment 353086

I have already noted that with these dimensions at ø 1.4 mm it is no longer feasible without a steady rest. A toothpick, for example, has a diameter of 1.8 mm. In this respect, particular care should be taken here and not too much pressure should be exerted on the roundwood.
View attachment 353083

The shaping of the square edge with the octagonal yardarm also requires sensitive processing, which can be seen in the next picture.
View attachment 353084

At the end of this work, a comparison of yardarms:
Main yard, mizzen toppsail yard and mizzen topgallant yard
View attachment 353085
Now two lower studding sail booms have to be made to hang on the fore channels.
With the gaff (upper spar) and the driver boom (lower boom) already made some time ago, all the sail-carrying spars for the French corvette are then ready. They will then be equipped with the necessary fittings (sheaves, boom irons, etc.).

To be continued ...
You are making some excellent pieces on your lathe, Johan. Very very nice.
Regard, Peter

Back