La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Wie cool ist das denn?
Great metal works - absolutely amazing

Continuation: Equipping the yards - studding sail boom irons
After initial problems and a failed attempt, I set out with new courage to make another one. Probably to avoid the mistakes of the first attempt, such as brazing the fine parts of the hinges too much heat, so that they then ultimately become brittle and break off (see picture). In principle, it would also have been possible to make these joints with soft solder. However, for reasons of strength, I chose brazing.
View attachment 357199

On the next picture I show a photo collage, where single steps for making the studding sail boom iron are shown.
View attachment 357201

On the next picture you can see the studding sail boom iron still in uncleaned condition after brazing. The outer ring is still missing the hint of a hinge, which I will fix with soft solder.
View attachment 357200

Here a picture with spar:
View attachment 357202

And finally the result for the two inner studding sail boom irons of the fore topsail yard.
View attachment 357204

Making the outer studding sail boom irons should be much easier.
To be continued ...
What a beautiful fine peace a metal work, Johan. That’s ‘Art’!
Regards, Peter

@Tobias
@Mirek
@Uwek
@Peter Voogt

Hello,
thanks for the nice comments.

Continuation: For topsail yard - studding sail boom iron
In the meantime I also made the outer studding sail boom irons for the fore topsail yard. Like the inner irons, they were made of brass strips with a width of 1.3 mm and a thickness of 0.25 mm. For brazing with a silver brazing paste I fix the pre-prepared parts on a ceramic plate, as already shown several times.
With the following picture I show how the assembly of the inner studding sail boom irons is done. The brass wire ø 0.4 mm, which still has to be shortened, takes over the function of a safety pin.
DSC00958.jpg

The next picture shows the outer iron of the fore topsail yard. The end of the yardarm is square with dimensions 2.2 / 2.2 mm.
DSC00961.jpg

In order to be able to carry out the assembly and rigging work on the yards comfortably, I made myself this holding device.
DSC00963.jpg

And finally, an overview of the construction status of the fore topsail yard, with the studding sail booms, which in the meantime has each received a hole at the octagonal end. At the outer end, a notch has been added for fastening the blocks.
DSC00965.jpg

The next step is the studding sail boom irons for the main topsail yard, the dimensions of which are somewhat larger.
To be continued ...

@pianoforte
@dockattner
@shota70
@kirill4
@Mirek

Hello friends of modeling,
thank you very much for your interest and for the praising comments. It is always a pleasure when there is interest in our work.

Continuation: Main topsail yard - studding sail boom iron - Cercle de bout-dehors de vergue
I continued with the studding sail boom irons for the main topsail yard. Since I had thoughtlessly started to make the rings, I forgot to make the bulge for the rollers. Since these rings were already soldered, I tried to solder on this bulge, which then also worked quite well and the even result became more precise.
As they say: the proof of the pudding is in the eating ...

The following picture shows the rings with the parts to be soldered on.
DSC00970.jpg

Here on this picture you can see my " soldering station ".
DSC00972.jpg

On the ceramic hole plate you can fix the parts to be soldered quite well.
DSC00975.jpg

The jeweler's saw is then used to remove the segments of the rings that are not necessary.
DSC00977.jpg

The next picture shows the drilling of the roller bearings with a 0.5 mm drill.
DSC00978.jpg

In the picture, all studding sail boom iron for the main topsail yard are united before blacking. The inside diameters of the spar hangers for the fore topsail yard are 2.7 mm, while those for the main topsail yard are 3.2 mm.
DSC00983.jpg

For blackening, I still use Brass Black, as I have had very good experiences with this agent. I coat the parts with a brush until they get the desired coloration. This proven method of working allows me to use the agent very sparingly.
DSC00984.jpg

The last two pictures show the studding sail boom irons already mounted to the main topsail yard.
DSC00988.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

Next, I make the irons for the fore yard. At the same time, I'm researching other equipment for the yards, such as attachment of the footropes, jackstays - yes or no, and so on.
See you soon ...

Last edited:
@pianoforte
@dockattner
@shota70
@kirill4
@Mirek

thank you very much for your interest and for the praising comments. It is always a pleasure when there is interest in our work.

Continuation: Main topsail yard - studding sail boom iron - Cercle de bout-dehors de vergue
I continued with the studding sail boom irons for the main topsail yard. Since I had thoughtlessly started to make the rings, I forgot to make the bulge for the rollers. Since these rings were already soldered, I tried to solder on this bulge, which then also worked quite well and the even result became more precise.

View attachment 359240

View attachment 359241

View attachment 359242

The jeweler's saw is then used to remove the segments of the rings that are not necessary.
View attachment 359243

View attachment 359244

In the picture, all studding sail boom iron for the main topsail yard are united before blacking. The inside diameters of the spar hangers for the fore topsail yard are 2.7 mm, while those for the main topsail yard are 3.2 mm.
View attachment 359246

For blackening, I still use Brass Black, as I have had very good experiences with this agent. I coat the parts with a brush until they get the desired coloration. This proven method of working allows me to use the agent very sparingly.
View attachment 359247

The last two pictures show the studding sail boom irons already mounted to the main topsail yard.
View attachment 359248

View attachment 359249

Next, I make the goggles for the fore yard. At the same time, I'm researching other equipment for the yards, such as attachment of the footropes, jackstays - yes or no, and so on.
See you soon ...
I am speechless……. Unbelievable what you make, Johann. My respect!
Regards, Peter.

@pianoforte
@dockattner
@shota70
@kirill4
@Mirek

View attachment 359240

View attachment 359241

View attachment 359242

View attachment 359243

View attachment 359244

View attachment 359246

View attachment 359247

View attachment 359248

View attachment 359249

Next, I make the irons for the fore yard. At the same time, I'm researching other equipment for the yards, such as attachment of the footropes, jackstays - yes or no, and so on.
See you soon ...
1677321614256.jpeg
Good morning, I hope to please you with this image

Back