La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Nice research on the jackstays. I like the served rope on these heavy eyebolts.

About 2 things I can give you a little help.
The yard tackle was in my research always attached (Anderson) because they where also used to reef the sails.

For the measurement of the blocks I made an Excell file with the info I got in Mondfeld. The measurement of the block depents on the thickness of the used rope. I attached the file, it is in Dutch. If you need it in German or English I can translate it for you.

The sequence of ropes on the yards is not so easy to tell. Maybe the books of R.C.Anderson or James Leest can be a help. But this is not an easy subject to do, there are a lot of different kind of ropes to attach. All with their own type of blocks. (Curti shows some nice examples)

Edit: English version attach

Attachments

• blok maten mm.xlsx
    678.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Block sizes.xlsx
    678.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
@Steef66
Hello Stephan,

thank you very much for your efforts and the excel files for determining the block sizes. Maybe others can use them too.
In the meantime I found out that the English used yard tackles all the time, whereas continental nations used them only when used.
I will report on this later.

@Uwek
Hallo Uwe,

Hello Uwe,
You mean well with me ...:)

Hello,
here my further research results to this topic:
Continuation: Equipment of the yards - among other things Jackstage - Filière d`envergure.
In the meantime, I tried to get more information on this topic via contemporary technical literature. The search in the digital library of the French National Library was successful so far. In the work "Manuel du Manoeuvrier" I found this representation. This is an example of the yard arm of a topgallant yard, where the corresponding ropes are laid out in sequence.

Manuel_du_Manoeuvrier_Agustin_Challamel_1891_S235.jpg
Source: Manuel du Manoeuvrier, Agustin Challamel, Paris 1891, page 235

In this respect, I assume that this sequence can also be assumed for the other yards, because Petrejus also describes this arrangement in the book on the "Brigg Irene".
It is clear that for the lower yards a hanger or a strop with thimble for the yard tackle must still be considered. I tend to believe, as also described by Petrejus, that later it was also quite common to remove the yard tackle when not in use.
For the serving of the jackstay and footropes I show here the following:
For this, examples of the USS Constitution and the L'Hermione, showing served variants of footropes, and an unserved jackstay.

DSC_0632.thumb.JPG.b6028472a49cf70b3aeb767619022581.jpg
Source: Internet - USS Constitution

1551471_595985560490541_1521116764_n.jpg
Source: Internet - L'Hermione

Whereas, to my knowledge, the jackstay on the L'Hermione cannot be historically correct in this way, but it probably serves as a safety line for the crew.
This illustration of a jackstay and footrope show unserved ropes. Here you can also see a strop with thimble and hooked yard tackle.

Atlas_vergue_Marchepied.jpg
Source: Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe No. 1, detail Pl. 19

To be continued ...

Hello,
Continuation: Equipment of the yards - among other things Jackstage - Filière d`envergure.
In the meantime, I tried to get more information on this topic via contemporary technical literature. The search in the digital library of the French National Library was successful so far. In the work "Manuel du Manoeuvrier" I found this representation. This is an example of the yard arm of a topgallant yard, where the corresponding ropes are laid out in sequence.

View attachment 363374

In this respect, I assume that this sequence can also be assumed for the other yards, because Petrejus also describes this arrangement in the book on the "Brigg Irene".
It is clear that for the lower yards a hanger or a strop with thimble for the yard tackle must still be considered. I tend to believe, as also described by Petrejus, that later it was also quite common to remove the yard tackle when not in use.
For this, examples of the USS Constitution and the L'Hermione, showing served variants of footropes, and an unserved jackstay.

View attachment 363373

View attachment 363372

Whereas, to my knowledge, the jackstay on the L'Hermione cannot be historically correct in this way, but it probably serves as a safety line for the crew.
This illustration of a jackstay and footrope show unserved ropes. Here you can also see a strop with thimble and hooked yard tackle.

View attachment 363375

To be continued ...

Hi Johann always nice to see your blog with all the research. There is so much to learn from you.

Hello,

View attachment 363374

View attachment 363373

View attachment 363372

View attachment 363375

To be continued ...
Good morning," Manuel du manoeuvrier" this work consists of three volumes , very beautiful with excellent pictures

Johann, first of all I wish you all the best and a Happy Birthday Birthday-Cake.

I have only just gone through your build log and must say I am blown away WOW WOW WOW.
Your work is really of the next level. I have only just set the first step on the ladder but I am afraid your level is way out of reach but very inspirational.

Happy Birthday also from my side
Luck and Health and everything you wish

Hello friends,
I was very happy about your congratulations on my birthday. Thank you for that, and also thank you for your interest in my construction report.
And here's an update:

Continuation: Equipment of the yards - quarter blocks - poulies d'ecoute et de cargue-point
Next up is making the blocks for the lower yards. In the first step I placed the quarter blocks, which were arranged in the middle of the yard using a double strop. These single blocks were used to deflect the topsail sheets and were among the largest blocks on the corvette. These blocks are 8.7 mm long for the main yard of the model and 6.8 mm long for the fore yard.
The blocks were made in the usual way and real discs were installed for this size.
In the euphoria I accidentally made four 8.7 mm long quarter blocks, although of course only two are needed for the main yard.
DSC01072.jpg

To produce the discs, a brass rod was turned to the required diameter of 5 mm, axle holes were drilled and grooves were cut. I then sawed off the discs with the jeweller's saw.
DSC01073.jpg

Here you can see the finished block housing with the discs and axles.
DSC01075.jpg

In the last picture I have shown the finished quarter blocks for the main yard together with a single block. The block sizes for the model range within this range.
DSC01079.jpg

After making the quarter blocks for the fore yard, I'll send you a picture to see the size comparison.
In the meantime, thankfully, I have also received interesting information from G. Delacroix on the rigging of the yards
Up soon …

Back