La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Es ist einfach nur schön und faszinierend deine Arbeit anzuschauen
Und Kompliment zu deiner Geduld :cool:

@Uwek
Hello,
I am very pleased with the lively interest in my report. In addition, I thank you for the positive feedback and the nice comments.
Of course I am also grateful for the LIKES.

Continuation: Equipment of the lower yards - Footropes and stirrups - Marchepieds et étriers
As often practiced, I also try to clarify the implementation of details for the foot and jumper horses by making a sample specimen.
According to the specifications and the description from the monograph, the two-piece foot horses of La Créole consisted of tarred cordage, taken with spliced eyes over the yardarms. Thimbles were spliced into the inner ends and lashed to the center of the yard by means of lanyards.
In the main yard, the rope for the footrope had a diameter of 32 mm according to the monograph. The ropes for the stirrups are given with a diameter of 30 mm.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 215543.jpg
Source: Monograph on the La Créole by J. Boudriot

For the execution of the foot horses on the model I orientate myself on a drawing from the atlas.

I received corresponding information from G. Delacroix, for which I am very grateful.

GMGPL001-1.jpg
Source: Detail from Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe No. 1, Pl. 1

The first test piece shows that the used thimble with ø 2.1 mm appears much too dominant in the model scale. The smaller thimble with ø 1.5 mm, however, is too small for the rope thickness ø 0.67 mm. To be able to make a size in between, I am currently missing the appropriate brass tube, which I have already ordered in the meantime.
DSC01121.jpg

So I will now bring forward the production of the other blocks for the main yard.
To be continued ...

Hello Johann,
you often mention the atlas, (below the link) how do I find my way there? As far as I have read there is only this link or is it also available as a book?
As I have mentioned many times I am fascinated by your research, what books can you recommend? Maybe you can put together a little list of the literature you used when you get a chance.

@Tobias
Hello Tobias,
unfortunately I do not have a book. I also get my information or drawings from this LINK. There is also comfortably described what the respective sheet is about.
I always try to find appropriate to the topic, for example "Jackstays", at Google -Books or Gallica (French National Library) with appropriate search terms in contemporary sources. The corresponding text passages I have to translate then laboriously with translators, since I do not know French. Especially as far as French is concerned, you don't get anywhere without knowing the technical terms anyway, because there are often multiple meanings for them, which is also due to the historical context. This often leads to funny texts, which then require their own interpretation.
Then there is the usual specialized literature, which surely so far all know, among others like Marquardt, Schrage, Boudriot, Petrejus etc..
As a rule, I always refer in my report to the source from where I draw a piece of information.
Unfortunately, I do not get to make a compilation. But maybe this screen-shot from my files will help:

Screenshot 2023-04-13 151051.jpg

Thank you Johann, thank you for your answer and all the information. The problem French and my person is probably the same and yes the translation is often strange. I'll take a look at your screenshot. The next difficulty will also be the difference between our Corvettes, La Palme is about 85 years older. Thank you again and I look forward to more informative and great reports from you.

I have the same issues with translation. I am in the redaction of my own lexical french to english and english to french spreasheet. For french book with good illustrations I recommand this one :
20230414_075935.jpg
20230414_075941.jpg
I found it on Archive.org I feel sorry , I do not found again the web site from where I found it. So, not sure about legitimacy of this pdf. But abebook have it.

Last edited:
Something else in between...

Ron Neilson of the Philadelphia Ship Model Society and also one of the directors of the NRG asked me via MSW if they could use a detail photo of my La Créole as the cover photo for their next club newsletter "Quarterdeck" in April.
Of course I was happy about the interest in my model and agreed.
This is what the cover looks like:
Frontpage_PSMS_Quarterdeck_April_2023.jpg

If interested: www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com

Something else in between...

Ron Neilson of the Philadelphia Ship Model Society and also one of the directors of the NRG asked me via MSW if they could use a detail photo of my La Créole as the cover photo for their next club newsletter "Quarterdeck" in April.
Of course I was happy about the interest in my model and agreed.
This is what the cover looks like:
View attachment 369304

If interested: www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com
Well deserved!
The enormous amount of fine details make it a display of the ultimate craftsmanship.

@Steef66
@Herman
@Tobias
Hello,
thank you for the lovely comment.

Continued: Equipment of the lower yards - more blocks - poulies
As already described, I preferred to produce more blocks for the lower yards. These are blocks for the braces, clew lines and lifts of the main and fore yard and for the sheets of the mizzen yard. A total of 12 pieces with a length of 5.6 mm had to be made. The brass sheaves of the single blocks have a diameter of around 3.2 mm and are 0.6 mm thick.
DSC01135.jpg

For the clew line blocks (Poulies de cargue de point - the main yard) I have already made the strops as you can see in the next picture.
DSC01140.jpg

Here's a look at the workspace:
DSC01141.jpg

Finally a picture from the middle of the main yard with a clew line block that has been lashed down in the meantime. Here, too, a rose lashing was used, which was not easy to accomplish with the necessarily somewhat thinner rigging yarn.
DSC01146.jpg

The brass tubes have now been delivered. So I can continue with the thimbles for the foot ropes. I hope that the size will be appropriate.
Up soon …

Witaj
Jak zwykle piękna i precyzyjna praca. Dobrze że jesteś z nami Johann mamy od kogo się uczyć. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
As usual beautiful and precise work. Good that you are with us Johann we have someone to learn from. Best regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend,
once more you share with us photos of your work without any small deficiencies - not the smallest one - 100% perfect work.
So we want to learn from you, how you are able to get this perfection.....

On one photo we can see, that you use for something also a sekundenkleber, but I never saw an indication of a rest of such a superglue
Is this a special one, or how / where do you use such a glue?

Just remember one earlier photo where I recognized ( I think so) a heating iron - For bending wood

Screenshot 2023-03-13 113345.png

Is it a homemade one, or some tool from market? - It is looking very interesting because of the small diameter

Many Thanks in advance for your reply

@Mirek
Hello,
thanks for the lovely comment.
I am also pleased to be among such competent model builders here in this forum. Everyone can learn something from the others.

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
this is a very runny superglue from Toolcraft, nothing special that I can apply in doses with a 0.4 mm cannula. When the cannula has dried up, simply burn it free again with a lighter.
I use the superglue very sparingly, among other things to secure knots, rope ends and to glue together rope rings for the strops of the blocks.
Of course, I try that you don't see any remains of superglue, which doesn't always work. Such areas can then be treated with acetone. Then you can hardly see anything.

Yes, I remember this photo. This shows me bending a frame for a La Creole boat. The tool you see is a very cheap soldering iron which I held in place with a small vise. So nothing special!
I hope I shed some light on this...:)

DSC01135.jpg
Excellent work again Johann. Nr. 3 in the picture is that the Proxxon MF70 include a self-made flat table with spare? I like the idea for more accurate work.

Hello,
Thank you for your interest.
With new motivation we continue with "little things".

Continued: Equipment of the lower yards - Clew garnet blocks of the main yard - Poulies de cargue de point
In the meantime I also lashed the second clew garnet block to the main yard until I can continue with the footropes.
Adapted to the slings of the clew garnet blocks, the lashing lines had to be made much thinner than those of the quarter blocks. But even with this, the rose lashings managed tolerably well.
DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01164.jpg

Sequel follows ….

PS: What is the correct name for these blocks? Clew line block or clew garnet block?

Back