La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Only 10%
please lord give me only 10% of Johanns knowledge and experience
For me it is hard to imagine how to do these details - great and amazing metal works
Johann, you should give seminars to educate

Continued: Fore yard- Studding sail boom irons - Cercle de bout-dehors de vergue
In the meantime, I also made the studding sail boom irons for the fore yard. In this context, I would like to go into a little more detail about the method of making the hinges for the two-piece mast clamps. In the studding sail boom irons for the fore yard, the hinge lugs were still bent. In the meantime, I have refined the method, as can be seen in the following photo collage. I think the pictures speak for themselves:
DSC01022.jpg

To finish this part, here's a picture with the studding sail boom irons for the fore yard already blackened.
DSC01025.jpg

Finally, only the studding sail boom irons for the main yard remain to be made.
More about that soon ...

@Tobias
@dockattner
@GrantTyler
@Pathfinder65
@Hoss6262
Thank you very much for your interest and appreciation.

Completion: Main yard - Studding sail boom iron - Cercle de bout-dehors de vergue
With the production of the studding sail boom irons for the main yard, this chapter can be brought to a close.

The first picture shows the already mounted studding sail boom irons of the main yard.
DSC01038.jpg

In the next pictures I have gathered all the yards that have been equipped with studding sail boom irons.
DSC01040.jpg

DSC01033.JPG

For the further equipment of the yards with blocks, footropes and jackstays, various details still have to be clarified.
More about that soon ...

@Tobias
@dockattner
@GrantTyler
@Pathfinder65
@Hoss6262
Thank you very much for your interest and appreciation.

Completion: Main yard - Studding sail boom iron - Cercle de bout-dehors de vergue
With the production of the studding sail boom irons for the main yard, this chapter can be brought to a close.

The first picture shows the already mounted studding sail boom irons of the main yard.
View attachment 361543

In the next pictures I have gathered all the yards that have been equipped with studding sail boom irons.
View attachment 361545

View attachment 361544

For the further equipment of the yards with blocks, footropes and jackstays, various details still have to be clarified.
More about that soon ...
You made a very fine job with this metalwork, Johann. My respect!
Regards, Peter

@shota70
@Mirek
@Peter Voogt
Thanks for the nice comments.

Fore studding sail booms / fore stays - Arc boutant de misaine
The lower studding sail booms were attached to the fore channels of the La Créole with a hinged fitting.
lower_stunsail_boom_LaCreole_Monographie.jpg
Source: Monograph on the La Créole by J. Boudriot

I made these lower studding sail booms together with the yards from pear wood (largest diameter 3 mm) some time ago. Likewise, the corresponding fittings with the eyelets for hooking in these booms were made and mounted on the front fore channels some time ago. Now these fittings had to be manufactured.
For the execution of these fittings I oriented myself at a corresponding illustration of the Paris model in the monograph. This design corresponds with drawings in the Atlas du Génie Maritime.
Gelenkdetail.jpg
Source: Monograph on the La Créole by J. Boudriot

On the following picture collage, I have only shown the essential steps for the production of the fittings. I think the pictures are self-explanatory. The slots were milled. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of this.
DSC01054.jpg

The next picture shows the blackened and mounted fittings.
DSC01058.jpg

And finally a picture of how the lower studding sail booms are hooked to the fore channels. These booms are secured to the front shrouds in the upper area by a lashing when not in use.
DSC01060.jpg

The next step will be the jackstays for the lower and topsail yards. There are still some details to be clarified.
So far I could not find much information in the relevant literature or on the internet. Would be very grateful if one or the other could contribute something to this topic.

Continuation follows ...

Lovely work again.

The Jackstays. The only thing I know is that these where on all yards and somewhere from 1850 or so they where made of iron bars. Before that time they use rope through rings on the yards. But why and how? I'm more for 17th century rigging. I wish I could help you

Nicht dein Ernst, oder?
amazing work
Many thanks for showing us the different working steps
theoretically I know now, how to make such a detail - theoretical .......
I need some lessons - a lot of them

Nicht dein Ernst, oder?
amazing work
Many thanks for showing us the different working steps
theoretically I know now, how to make such a detail - theoretical .......
I need some lessons - a lot of them
This is a difficult detail on ships, because you can't find almost no info. I search last evening in my rigging books, couldn't find not much info. Even Google is not helpful

Twoja praca jest niesamowita nic tylko podziwiać. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Your work is amazing nothing but admire. Regards, Mirek

@Uwek
@Mirek
@Steef66
Hi,
thanks for interest and the nice notes.
Also thanks to all the others for the many LIKES.

Hello Stephan,
thanks also for your efforts.
I was able to gather a bit of information from the relevant literature.

Continuation: Equipment of the yards - among other things Jackstays - Filière d`envergure.
Petrejus writes in his book "The model of the brig of the Irene" on page 207, that around 1811 yards were equipped with jackstays for the first time. By the early 1820s, these were in general use on larger square riggers, Petrejus continues. This is also consistent with statements in the Journal of the German Maritime Archives on the Hamburg Galiot Mary Ann on page 413. Initially these were made of cordage of natural fiber, and later these were made of wire rope or iron rods.
As can be clearly seen in some of the pictures of the original Paris model of La Créole, jackstays made of stiffened cordage were also used there. I have not found anything on the plans of Jean Boudriot's monograph on the La Créole itself. Under the illustration on p. 170, however, there is a short description of the jackstays. Accordingly, the sails should only have been attached at the lower and topsail yards by means of jackstays, if I have understood it correctly. The topgallant sails and the royals were obviously attached to the yard in the conventional way by means of a lashing.
LaCreole_yard.jpg
Source: Monograph La Creole by J. Boudriot, p. 170

Since the jackstays, except for the head cringles, had to take the whole tractive force of the sails, I am of the opinion that massive eyebolts with collars were used to fasten them to the yards. In this respect, I am guided by a drawing from the Atlas du Génie maritime, which shows a massive forged eyebolt. Whether these eyebolts were also used for this purpose, I could not determine. However, this possibility does not seem to me to be completely absurd.
Piton_du_barres_de_manouevre.jpg
Source: Extract from Atlas du Génie maritime

Therefore, I made scaled test pieces and mounted them on a yard, which was a scrap from the yard production. After pulling in a served rope of the appropriate thickness, I think it looks quite passable, as can be seen in the following picture.
DSC00993.jpg

The jackstays were set on top of the yards in the forward area.
A served rope was first placed around the yardarm with an eye splice and then passed through the eyebolts, which were attached to the yard at intervals of about 3 m, towards the center of the yard. There at the rope end of the jackstay a thimble was tied in. With the thimble of the jackstay end from the other direction and a lashing tied in, the jackstays were braced in the center of the yard.
I will soon start making and installing the jackstays.

At the same time, there are still a number of questions to be clarified regarding the equipment of the yards, such as:
- Sequence of ropes to be attached to the yardarms (jackstays, lifts, braces, footropes, yard tackle etc.)
- design and fastening of the stirrups
- number and size of yard blocks
- yard hangers and fastening
etc.
The extent to which the French, like the English, had yard tackles permanently attached to the main yard and fore yard, or only when needed, also needs to be clarified. On the Paris model, however, there are no yard tackles to be seen. However, I miss corresponding hangers on the yardarms to attach them when needed. As described by Petrejus, it would be conceivable to have strops around the yardarms to which the pendants including tackle could be hooked if necessary.

Would be very grateful for hints and suggestions on the open questions.

Back