La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello model making friends,
thank you very much for the constant interest in my construction report. The kind and professional comments are of course pure motivation.
I would also like to say a big thank you for the LIKES.

Continuation: Equipment of the topsail yards - quarter blocks / poulies d'ecoute et poulies de cargue de point
The quarter blocks, usually two-disk blocks, were also referred to as thick-and-thin blocks by the English. The sheaves for the topgallant sheets were thicker and the clew lines ran over the thinner sheaves. The lower yards used separate single sheave blocks for the sheets and clew lines.
For my model of the French corvette, I made the 4 mm long double blocks using the method already described several times. Since the main topgallant sheets and the fore topgallant sheets with ø 19 mm and ø 17 mm do not show a big difference, the difference in thickness of the block disks is only marginal.
DSC00897_wett.jpg

DSC00898_wett.jpg

With the block strops, the first attempt seemed too out of scale (on the left in the picture). I found the second attempt with thinner strops much more appropriate.
DSC00899_wett.jpg

The last two images show the lashed quarter blocks in position.
DSC00900_wett.jpg

DSC00901_wett.jpg

I haven't gotten any further with the research into the execution of the reef tackles. You may have information on what the French looked like.

See you then …

Continuation: Equipment of the topsail yards – blocks for bunt lines / poulies de cargue de fond

Also mounted at the topsail yards were a number of blocks for the braces, leech lines and bunt lines. Due to the diameter of these ropes, the block sizes are 3,4 mm long. In order to be able to file the notches for the block strops better into the wood, I invested in a new needle file and equipped it with a nice handle made of service tree.

Admittedly not exactly cheap, but this file has a diameter of only 1.0 mm at the top of the handle and tapers to 0.5 mm at the tip.
DSC01506a.jpg

Of course, there are other uses for this filigree tool. However, extremely careful handling of this filigree tool is required, as it can be damaged very easily.

I equip the topsail yards according to the sketch below.
DSC01517.JPG

In the meantime, further blocks for the topsail yards have been made. Among other things, the blocks for the bunt lines, which were already rigged to the main yard on the strop of the tye block, as can be seen in the next two pictures.
DSC01514.jpg

DSC01514a.jpg

Sequel follows …

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
I didn't know this name for these files. But you can find a lot of offers under this term.
Thanks for the explanation.

For such small notches I use a small miller that I hold with my nail drill. The smallest available are 0,6 mm on the widest part.
these needle file is safer to handle then such a mill, but when you make a small cut with a knife where to place the notch you can handle the mill without that it goes in the wrong direction. And always on high speed. At low speed it could catch in the wood.
But thanks for the link, I like the small needle file, maybe something I order in the future.

@Steef66
Hello Stephan,
I also have a small milling cutter. But with these small dimensions, I can't guide it safely, as you have already pointed out.

Continuation: Equipment of the main topsail yard - Jackstag, blocks for leech lines and bunt lines / Filière d`envergure, poulies de cargue de fond et poulies de boulin
The topsail yards on the La Créole were also already equipped with jackstays. The two-piece and fully served jackstay for the main topsail yard was made in the same way as shown in the main yard and fore yard. The following picture shows part of the jackstay with the lanyard.
DSC01519.jpg

On the next picture I show the blocks for the topsail yards again in size comparison (tye block of the main topsail yard, tye block of the fore topsail yard a bit smaller). Contrary to my sketch shown, the blocks for the braces are 4 mm long.
DSC01524.jpg

In the meantime I have installed and lashed the jackstay on the main topsail yard and also lashed the blocks for the leech lines to it.
DSC01528.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

So the lifts, the blocks for the braces and the footropes are still missing. I will also pull in the sheets and the clew lines as far as that.
Sequel follows …

Continuation: Equipment of the main topsail yard – brace blocks and lifts / Poulies de bras et balancines
According to the table in the monograph, the blocks for the braces of the main topsail yard of the La Créole had a length of 190 mm in the original, which corresponds to a length of around 4 mm at a scale of 1:48.
Like the brace blocks of the lower yards, these were attached to the yard ropes without rope swaps, but directly via thimbles (“Dog and Bitch” connection).
DSC01551.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

The simple lifts were fitted over the yard arms with eye splices.
Contrary to the arrangement of the footropes in the lower yards, in the topsail yards they are only placed further at the end of the yard arms. But more about that soon.
DSC01556.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

I also have to clarify whether and how many stirrups were attached to the footropes of the topsail. There are no stirrups on the original Paris model, as far as I can tell from the images available to me. I still tend to be of the opinion that at least one stirrup per side wouldn't be wrong.
Up soon …

@Steef66
@Jimsky
@Mirek
@albertmary
@Uwek
@WojtasS
@Hoss6262
Hello,
I am very happy about your nice comments.Thanks for that, and also for the LIKES.

Continued: Equipment of the fore yard - topsail sheets, lifts and studding sail booms
In the meantime, the topsail sheets, the lifts and the studding sail booms were attached to the fore yard for my little French girl.
View attachment 386082

View attachment 386079

I almost forgot an important detail to complete the equipment of the fore yard, namely the arrangement of the blocks for the clewlines, the sheets and the tacks.
I'll do that again and report back soon.
So see you soon...
I'm a younger newer building with many years of building and encouragement. Looking at your work is always a joy, massive envy and inspiration. thank you for sharing your photos.

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,

I only know the model in the Musée national de la Marine in Paris. I haven't had a chance to see the original model in the Paris museum. But I got many detail photos of the La Créole from some fellow modelers who were in the museum. Also, the museum gave me some high resolution photos of the model for free upon request. And then there are many photos that I found on the Internet during research.
Often, however, the problem arises that one cannot sufficiently recognize certain details because, for example, the view of them is obscured by other parts or the image resolution is simply too poor.
In addition, there are a lot of discrepancies between the monograph of J. Boudriot and the original model. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to ask J. Boudriot why he drew or described various details differently. Especially in the rigging there are many differences which do not always seem to be comprehensible. As already written several times, I try to stick as far as possible to the original model or to the technical literature.

The museum is scheduled to reopen in October 2023 after 6 years of renovation. Maybe I'll manage to visit the original.
Greetings, dear Johann. Recently i visited Technical Museum in Berlin. Apart from ecerytjing else, there's a big exposition of the sailing ships models. It was such an incredible pleasure, my recommendation to the colleagues who would visit Berlin. There is a wonderful model of La Creole, so i had a Chance to learn more about a model you are working on. My very best regards

GOPR0404.JPG

GOPR0405.JPG

GOPR0406.JPG

GOPR0407.JPG

GOPR0408.JPG

Greetings, dear Johann. Recently i visited Technical Museum in Berlin. Apart from ecerytjing else, there's a big exposition of the sailing ships models. It was such an incredible pleasure, my recommendation to the colleagues who would visit Berlin. There is a wonderful model of La Creole, so i had a Chance to learn more about a model you are working on. My very best regards

View attachment 399277

View attachment 399278

View attachment 399280

View attachment 399281

View attachment 399282
Interesting model and seems to be also the museum
Maybe you show us more models in this part of the forum? Would be great

These are "new" models and not contemporary models - the exhibition is not permanent, but timely limited -> so it seems to be the taste of the modeler
The Creole was made in 2003 by Michael Keyser
Maybe also other models are from the same modeler.....

These are "new" models and not contemporary models - the exhibition is not permanent, but timely limited -> so it seems to be the taste of the modeler
The Creole was made in 2003 by Michael Keyser
Maybe also other models are from the same modeler.....
Dear Uwek, i've seen this model as well. But in a different hall, and its Level is much lower. So this is a different model. My apologies to dear Johann for the unrelevant conversation in his theme. My very best regards

Last edited:
@Kortes
Many kind regards,
Everything is fine, but thank you very much for thinking of me and for the beautiful pictures. It is always very interesting for me to see models of the La Creole from other model makers. There are not many models of the "La Creole".

Back