LA SALAMANDRE, bomb ketch - POF - (CAF-models, 1/48)

UweK

You mentioned you'd be interested in seeing the mortar didit was having made when it was ready. I only had a chance to open the package and look at it tonight but here it is.

These are looking very good it is a great add-on for the bomb vessels and mortar models.
......I have to compare them if they would be suitable for my La Salamandre, but I am afraid it would be too much adjustments necessary.
The Salamandre mortar are fixed in the angle, due to the fact, that these mortars were not turnable, but fixed (vertical and horizontal) and they shot the bombs only fore over the stern.
They had to fix the ketch with several anchors, so that the ship was directly aligned towards the target. Due to the fixed vertical angle of 45° they had to change the distance to the target or change the powder quantity to have a chance to hit target. This was the technique at this time.....

here is an excerpt of my Planset Review showing the mortar of the La Salamandre
Planset "The bomb ketch LA SALAMANDRE - 1752" Monograph with 34 plans in 1:48 by Jean Boudriot - Hubert Berti

IMG_33261.jpg

All logs / wooden spacers were glued and I preliminary sanded them down to the level of the frames.
So now the hull is stiff, all frames are fixed together and the "big sanding" of the hull outside and inside can beginn.

Still I can remove the complete hull out of the jig without any problems and also re-assamble it into the jig -> well done CAF !!! Your 3D-model is realy working well.

Also I am very happy, that I fixed the frames with additional pegs towards the keel, so that I can assume, that this connection is strong and can not get loose during work on the hull. This is important (I guess) because i want to install the keelson after the sanding.
If the elements of the keelson would be already fixed installed I would damage them during the inside sanding activities.....I will see.....

BTW:
Yesterday I reached the total working hours of 200 on this kit model of my La Salamandre.
A lot of hours for only a hull, but enjoyed every single one.
And I am pretty sure, that I will not overtake @ADC with his built.......

IMG_37681.jpg IMG_37691.jpg

IMG_37701.jpg IMG_37741.jpg

IMG_37711.jpg IMG_37721.jpg

Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Uwe,

Will the sanding of hull be by hand or do have a “tool” for that?

During the last two evening I tried carefully different ways and tools, but at the end i have to recognize, that the hand sanding is the way, to get the best quality results. With every power-tool there is the possibility of un-wanted scratches and small damages. Outside the hull it is easier, Hull inside is much more complicate, and Hereford i am still learning, what is the best way......

During the last two evening I tried carefully different ways and tools, but at the end i have to recognize, that the hand sanding is the way, to get the best quality results. With every power-tool there is the possibility of un-wanted scratches and small damages. Outside the hull it is easier, Hull inside is much more complicate, and Hereford i am still learning, what is the best way......
I used a combination of hand sanding and a dremel with 25mm disks. I have been careful with the dremel. Using 120 grit disks at lower speeds. Only worked about 20 minutes a day. Worked slowly a little bit at a time with no hurry.

I found this one in this link https://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.c...entre-ein-Arsenalmodell-im-Massstab-Teil.html

1531038323006.png

Dear @ADC and @Olivers Historic Shipyard ,
many thanks for the infos and hints.

What I forgot to mention is the use of my Proxxon Pen-sander PS13 which I use partly for the inside sanding, which can make the work partly similar like the tool Oliver showed in the photo.

IMG_3870.JPG

Here is the link to the Proxxon web-page:
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28594.php

I have two slightly different one´s (PS12 and PS13)
IMG_3871.JPG

Proxxon is offering special prepared sanding paper for the sander
IMG_38721.jpg

But for the complete sanding these are too expensive, due to the fact, that I have to change latest every 5 minutes the sanding pat.
The cheap alternative to the Proxxon original sanding pats are a double adhesive tape and standard sanding paper with (best for me) textile (and not paper) backside. Looks not nice, but they are working better and the lifetime are longer......and most important -> costs are more or less nothing.
IMG_3873.JPG

I realized, that the last report of the working status was already several days old - No Worry, I am still working on my Salamandre every day´s evening.
Still sanding the outside and inside hull - I do not know, maybe I am too much perfectionist (not in the work done, only in my wish to be), so that it is hard to stop....
....it is not easy to say: "Now the hull is good - next working step"
Latest on weekend, maybe a little bit earlier I will show you guys the final result - as usual than with some more photos -
Once it has to be enough, has to be good enough :cool:

Hi Uwe,

You can show is pictures of the piles of dust you have been creating.:p

I am a posterchild, so I clean my table from sawdust regularly........ ;)
Like everybody from us, or?
this evening i checked the dustbin of my vac -> there is still space enough for an additional model

Absolutely stunning kit and workmanship! Your workshop leaves me a little envious as well! I was wondering about the use of various grades of steel wool
for final smoothing other than sand papers. I use steel wool for fine furniture refinishing as the wool tends to shave/slice off wood instead of disturbing the fibers with paper.

Absolutely stunning kit and workmanship! Your workshop leaves me a little envious as well! I was wondering about the use of various grades of steel wool
for final smoothing other than sand papers. I use steel wool for fine furniture refinishing as the wool tends to shave/slice off wood instead of disturbing the fibers with paper.
A very good point :cool: - I have something similar like you described - in the evening back in the workshop I will make a photo and show to you

Back