Le Commerce de Marseille 1788 - 1801 scale 1:48 from Gerard Delacroix

Grazie a tutti per l'aiuto! Apprezzo davvero che ti prendi il tempo per rispondere alla mia domanda, credo di sapere cosa fare….
La mia conclusione è: c'è una discrepanza nei disegni. Quello che farò è restringere la chiglia sopra il coniglio in modo che sia sincronizzato con il disegno dei telai…. Credo che questo sia più facile, crei un risultato migliore, sia più solido e credo sia anche quello che ha fatto @Michele Padoan se guardo le sue foto...

Ciao, forse da questa foto vedi meglio i dettagli

Hi, maybe from this picture you can see the details better

IMG_4947.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Michele, this photo did help decide what to do... Either the keel or the frame needed to be changed, your picture showed me I needed to adapt the keel.. These photos shows the result...
20220221_204122.jpg
20220221_212551.jpg
20220222_102415.jpg

The frames I made using a kind of platform which I could lift on one side and put through a thicknesser, In this way the frame gradually becomes thinner the more you go towards the keel...
20220222_142751.jpg
20220223_200134.jpg
And the provisional endresult....
20220223_200128.jpg
Not the endresult Michele managed to create, but I am reasonably satisfied... The sanding and final editing still needs to be done....

Last edited:
The remainder of the bow are frames called hawse-timbers. They kind of fall into each other. Difficult to describe, I think the pictures will explain.
These frames have different angles in which they must be finished. See picture below:
20220316_193304.jpg
I copied this angle in a template that I used with the router. By sticking the hawse-timber to this template with double-sided tape, I was able to mill the correct angle in the timber...
20220316_211807.jpg
It concerns 10 timbers on each side, but only three of these extend all the way to the keel, the others rest on an underlying timber, see below...
20220206_143856.jpg
This means that first timbers 1, 6 and 10 are placed, then 2, 4 and 8, and then 3, 5, 7 and 9 are fitted with spacers (see further in this report)...
In the photos below, 1, 6, 10 and also 2 have already been placed...
20220321_140516.jpg
20220321_140529.jpg
Then 4 and 8 (and 3 already dry-fit without spacers)...
20220401_122959.jpg
Now the last ones that first have been fitted with spacers...
20220401_210718.jpg
20220401_210243.jpg

And when all timbers are placed it looks like this:
20220405_185807.jpg
20220405_185756.jpg
20220405_185732.jpg
It is not even very noticeable in the photo, but especially port side has not become so good. The frames are not mounted very flat to eachother, as can be seen in the last photo. Of course everything still has to be finished, maybe it won't be that bad, but I will certainly have to do some damage control.... With what I know now I would certainly have done it differently, but I'm going to go ahead, with all the work and time that went into this, don't do it again... What I encountered in the development of this bow in particular was that I wanted to go too fast, and therefore didn't have enough patience.... Not handy in such a phase....

Very good progress - and the bow structure is one of the most complicated area of such a model..... and the bow of the Commerce is not an easy one :cool:
so also very good work my friend. I guess you learnt a lot and the second bow will get much easier, faster and also better

You will see after the first sanding of the bow, if you can live with the result - I am crossing the fingers

Thank you Brad and Uwe for commenting, I'll share more photos after some sanding is done, but first I have to figure out if and where there are spacers needed on the half frames, didn't see anything so far about this in the drawings.

Last edited:
Quick update... Port turned out not too bad, but starboard did, the timbers were placed too far inside...
20220408_134912.jpg
I tried a (for me) new trick... Remove the wrongly placed timbers by weaken the glue with water... It went surprisingly easy...
20220408_141718.jpg
20220408_141726.jpg
I hope this ship never falls into water... I'll have a 3d-puzzle in no time :)

Because of such situations I am also working mainly with water based wood glue - good to see, that you are able to change the elements

Finally I can start this thread where I can share my progress on a project I wanted to start a long time ago... Ever since I saw the plan's of this ship I was attracted to it. I love three-deck galleons and this is really a beauty. I decided to build it in scale 1:48 instead of 1:72 to be able to add al lot of detail... But to be honest, I don't think I can finish this ship. It probably is to complicated, to many problems to overcome. The main reason to start it however, is to challenge myself and see how far I will be able to build this model, that is the adventure....
I do have a big advantage because on this forum there are 2 threads describing the building of this ship.

I prepared this project first by creating a room that I can use as a workshop.

Second I bought some tools I think is necessary for the job, a byrnes tablesaw and a Proxxon MF70 milling machine.... And ofcourse, ordering the plans from ancre.fr...

So, let's get started :)
Hallo @Ronald
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Hallo Ronald

First of all I wish you a Happy Birthday.

I have been reading up your build log and admire your attitude and courage to start a build you are not certain you are able to finish successfully.
I only started my first build and would not have dreamt to start a POF build. Placing of the bulkheads on the keel and certainly the stern and bow are very complicated and hard to understand if you do not have detailed drawings nor the experience. I must say it was more of a mystery to me until I had read several building threads and are now getting an idea how it should be done. Therefore I, and many others, can learn a lot from someone who is on adventure in the world of POF;).
With all the help you are offered I am convinced you are getting there and have already reached a marvelous result.

I wish you all the best.
Herman

Back