Le Commerce de Marseille 1788 - 1801 scale 1:48 from Gerard Delacroix

Hallo Ronald

First of all I wish you a Happy Birthday.

I have been reading up your build log and admire your attitude and courage to start a build you are not certain you are able to finish successfully.
I only started my first build and would not have dreamt to start a POF build. Placing of the bulkheads on the keel and certainly the stern and bow are very complicated and hard to understand if you do not have detailed drawings nor the experience. I must say it was more of a mystery to me until I had read several building threads and are now getting an idea how it should be done. Therefore I, and many others, can learn a lot from someone who is on adventure in the world of POF;).
With all the help you are offered I am convinced you are getting there and have already reached a marvelous result.

I wish you all the best.
Herman
Hello Herman,
Thank you for your message and kind words… You are correct that if one does not have detailed plans nor the experience it would likely be a mission impossible… Fortunately I have very good plans, a bit of experience, a lot of help from the members of this forum and a bit of common sense. So far it seems to be enough, though the bow was a total different ballgame compared to the normal frames… There are times I get disappointed, depressed, impatient, but I think it is all worth it compared to the satisfaction I feel when I have overcome another obstacle and see the ship slowly but surely growing. Also, this scale makes it kind of more real, more tangible…. It shows me how things would have looked when the real ship was build.... So, I see it as a kind of adventure… I hope you don’t think I am some kind of fruitcake to share these feelings, but it is just how I feel about it, and makes me go on….
So please, just start a similar project, I believe it can be quite satisfying… I learned a lot from the drawings and sometimes I am surprised how the different parts come together as a whole…. As you can read in this log, I get a lot of good advise which I generally try to follow, sometimes I choose my own way….

Last edited:
Been some time since my last entry so it is time to add a ‘sign of life’….
For all who is following a small update….
I have to admit it gets harder and harder to find the motivation to start the next frame… I thought it was a good idea to create a bunch of frames together, so I started a serie of nine frames…
Conclusion, not a good idea… The work became much to monotonous so it took me a lot of time to finish them…
So far I made 52 of the 66 full frames, so 14 to go…. Getting close to the aft of the ship…

Last edited:
I have to admit it gets harder and harder to find the motivation to start the next frame… I thought it was a good idea to create a bunch of frames together, so I started a serie of nine frames…
Conclusion, not a good idea… The work became much to monotonous so it took me a lot of time to finish them…
So far I made 52 of the 66 full frames, so 14 to go…. Getting close to the aft of the ship…
Maybe you can switch to some fittings fabrications, just to switch the monotonous framework...

we love frames - and we love to see the frames made by our friends - so please do not hesitate to show us also your (not) boring work

A deja-vu to the framing of my BN, Ronald. Time consuming, but at the end ……. You will love the view.
Regards, Peter

Roland, You've done an incredible job so far.

I think Jim has a great idea. One I use all the time. Whenever I hit a wall, I stop and go do something I personally find interesting. It helps me recharge my batteries AND it helps me visualize what it will look like in the future. After that, with new energy I go back and plow though that boring, repetitive task. It may work for you too.

I know guys who build custom cars get bogged down and bored after months of body work they get disillusioned. What they do is order the wheels and tires that will go on the car and put them on. Even though the car has no engine, or seats in it, they can step back and visualize what that car will look like. It reenergizes them and they get back to work and finish off that boring body work that is so important to do right before they put on $10,000 paint job.

Maybe you can find your tires and wheels. ;) :)

Thank you all for the advice and comments :)
I also thought about starting something else. However, dispite the lack of motivation to start another frame, I really look foreward to the point that I can fit it all together and create a ship. I'll try to focus on that and continue with the last frames...
Jimsky, as the dumb dutchman I am, what do you, in this context, mean with 'fittings'?

Back