Le Coureur 1776, model 1:48 by Adi

Pearwood is one of my favorite, if not the most. Adding Pearwood waterways makes a perfect contrast with a maple decking material. But wait, are you covering the entire deck with planks? Are you hiding all the beauty in the hold?

Pearwood is one of my favorite, if not the most. Adding Pearwood waterways makes a perfect contrast with a maple decking material. But wait, are you covering the entire deck with planks? Are you hiding all the beauty in the hold?

Hallo Jim, of course I will leave out some of the planking to give insight from above. It will look something like Uwe's.

Thanks for all the likes and comments I received. Now it's time to design the deck. First I assembled the 4 hatches with their covers. Basically, there are 2 different design variants here. For caulking the boards of the hatch covers, as well as the deck planks, I use the (sharpie) Edding method mentioned earlier.
Then the positions of all the necessary opnenings on the deck are determined.

Coureur_20211123_1.jpg

Coureur_20211123_2.jpg

Coureur_20211123_3.jpg

Coureur_20211129_1.jpg

Coureur_20211130_1.jpg

Coureur_20211130_2.jpg

Thank you all for the likes and comments. First, I deal with the deck planks. Here Iwatched Uwe a little on the fingers and take over a few ideas from him. Using a template, I predesigned all the deck openings as far as I could tell. Then the treenails were attached. Here I used the Swabian method. We Swabians are said to be thrifty almost to the point of stinginess. Therefore, I use one toothpick to make as many nails as possible. ;)

Coureur_20211203_1.jpg

Coureur_20211210_1.jpg

The fact that I did not always hit all the openings exactly can be seen in the openings fpr the brackets of the bowsprit. :oops:

Coureur_20211210_2.jpg

Coureur_20211210_3.jpg

Coureur_20211210_4.jpg

Coureur_20211210_5.jpg

Coureur_20211210_6.jpg

Coureur_20211210_7.jpg

WOW! I just love your deck Adi. I think you have done just enough weathering to make it look authentic without losing its "clean" look. The treenailing and caulking are superb! I am really impressed by the amount of depth that is created when one looks through the deck into the holds and cabins below. Well done - she is going to be a beauty!

Very good work my friend,
Schwabien treenails !?! - I guess you had to point the toothpick every time (anspitzen) - how you made this? and what is the size of drill you used for predrilling the treenails - They are looking very fine and accurate - very good

Yes Uwe I sharpen the toothpicks every time. The pre-drilled holes are 0.5 mm. In your Coureur Blog #769 I have already shown this.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Franke, yes not far away...., but it's a joke. :D I was born in Swabia, but my mother came from East Prussia and my father was from Regensburg, a true Bavarian whose professional career took him to Swabia. Fals thrift and stinginess are absolutely foreign to me in reality.:)
My Ex-wife is from bayrisch Schwaben and I was living there for 10 years - I know it very well ......

Looking very good.
I think you will need on the left side close to the waterway one parallel plank for the front wheels of the guns.
Or will you installe the guns only one one side?

Back