LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Nice!
I really like the boudriot version better. Seems like there would not be enough space to fit the wider CAF version of the windlass?!

Cool details below deck with the axe and the firewood. Mabe You should paint the axehead black?

Hi Uwe

Your ghost face below deck is exquisite! Thumbs-Up
View attachment 241568eerie!

LOL
Like in real life - No ghost, it is only an eyebolt with ring - but you never know...... :eek:
IMG-6613a.jpg

Nice!
I really like the boudriot version better. Seems like there would not be enough space to fit the wider CAF version of the windlass?!

Cool details below deck with the axe and the firewood. Mabe You should paint the axehead black?
Many Thanks for your kind words
It is a pure question of taste with the windlass. Both types of bearings were used at this time. The CAF-version would also fit on the deck, with some smaller adjustments at the bearing-blocks.
The axe still needs some finetuning and painting, I agree. It was the first time I tried some "carving" works, with an acceptable result (acceptable, especially because she will be under deck and more or less not visible..... ;)

I was just reading a post by @Dean62 which is fitting very good to such kits we are working on, if it is the Bluenose, the Alert or the Le Coureur (or all other of the hundreds of kits existing)

More all the time, I’m starting to see a kit as a blank canvas. Because you have boundaries to work within, but what you do within those boundaries, is up to you the builder! Happy modeling! ;)

No ... it is not a ringbolt. It is the face oif a young boy with a fringe staring at you! Obviously some or other atrocity was committed below deck. Maybe the axe was not used for chicken heads ...

As mentione in an earlier post I like to show the cross section with the wedges of the masts shown in the Boudriot drawing

The foremast
IMG-6631.jpg

and the main mast - esüecially here the wedges are slightly more complicated, due to the fact, that the mast is inclined compared to the deck
IMG-6632.jpg

First of all I (more or less) finished the foremast ring of wedges - Due to the fact, that the diameter of mast plus ring of wedges is bigger, the hole inside of the partners had to be extended
IMG-6628.jpg

and I am now working on the main mast wedges
IMG-6629.jpg

still a lot of work to get this part into the form, which I need
IMG-6630.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ......

The final works on the mast wedges

The main mast was also done
IMG-6634.jpg

The total view on both masts
IMG-6635.jpg

"By accident" the angles of the masts fit well with the drawings
IMG-6654.jpg

and the view via the frames in the hold - also from this side the wedges are visible
IMG-6636.jpg

wedges.jpg

What was missing are the imitation of the separated boards of the partner timbers and also the bolting
IMG-6658.jpg

IMG-6656.jpg

here I reduced also the visible height of the wedges slightly
IMG-6660.jpg

IMG-6655.jpg

The mast partners with wedges are finished
IMG-6657.jpg

I am thinking about covering the wedges with a canvas to simulate the tarred mast coats.... maybe only one, or somehow half covered an a half open to see the wedges

Something like these
P7050059.JPG Screenshot-2017-10-23 Hermione - Atelier Hafner - Tapissier Sellierw.jpg

also shown on contemporary models
Mastkragen_LaCreole_3w.jpg

partly we discussed this already once a special topic

Here I "borrowed" one photo of a extremely good executed mast coat made by @archjofo on his beautiful La Creole

DSC04148_wett.jpg DSC04159_wett.jpg

Johann, I hope it is ok for you to use your photos to show this detail?

Attachments

• 2218018952_cb63f89ed4_e.jpg
    2218018952_cb63f89ed4_e.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 9
Before the fixing of the deck planking, also the funnel of the stove should be prepared

Included in the kit are small brass tubes, which have to be cut in a correct angle and length to get the final cranked form.
The wooden base is shown in the Boudriot drawings, otherwise only a hole in the deck would be visible. Somehow the passage of the funnel through the deck planking was covered, so I decided to make this block with the round notch. The funnel tube is going through the planking and is sitting on top of the oven.

IMG-6662.jpg

IMG-6663.jpg

Once more a check, if everything is fitting before the deck has to be "closed" and fixed on top of the beams
IMG-6664.jpg

IMG-6665.jpg

IMG-6666.jpg

IMG-6669.jpg

IMG-6670.jpg

IMG-6671.jpg

The partial deck planking looks good - just one question though. What happens to the "waterway" gap? I see it is also left open at the port side.

View attachment 242627
Good point! The gap is not with (or at) the waterway, it is the planking - as mentioned before, the planks on the photo are not fixed.
The original curved plank is not wide enough at this area - I solved it with an additional piece "widening" the plank - it is hardly visible.
In short time I will show this detail, when the deck-planking is finaly fixed on top of the beams

I finally installed and fixed the deck planking.
But first only the center planking "sheet", so I had still some access (for fingers and tweezers) to fix the pump shafts with the iron rings around the shafts.

IMG-6703.jpg

IMG-6706.jpg

The following photos only to get a feeling what and how much these rings are visible - in my opinion it is worth to make them and install them also under the deck in the hold
IMG-6704a.jpg

IMG-6705.jpg

view via the frames
IMG-6708.jpg

IMG-6709.jpg

The deck planking is now fixed on the beams,
the openings for the hatches are finally prepared and sanded smooth to corners of the beams
also the ladder is now fixed and installed
IMG-6702.jpg

IMG-6710a.jpg

and refering the comment by @Heinrich in the following a closer photo showing how I solved this problem
The partial deck planking looks good - just one question though. What happens to the "waterway" gap? I see it is also left open at the port side.

View attachment 242627

The widening at the end of the plank is hardly visible - and in addition at this area the first gun will be installed and will cover most of this area
Planken erweiterung.jpg

and this I wanted to show you also

I tried to fine-tune a little bit more the axe of the cook - but no blood - My Coureur is a "vegetarian ship"

The complete ship´s complement with all seamen inclusive the captain are not very happy about this and think about keelhaul the cook in short time ;)

IMG-6689.jpg

Back