LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Hallo Uwe, I also do not know yet exactely in which direction I should tend, But somehow the original Le Coureur appeals to me more. I like the the Lugger rigging very much. The English Coureur is a schooner, If I'm not mistaken.
No No
After the british captured the Le Coureur, they made only some adjustments inside the hull with the interior, but we do not exactly know about the masting

1a.JPG

I know, that Threedecks is mentioning "Schooner" for the HMS Coureur

1b.JPG

Maybe the british also removed the jigger mast at the stern...... take a look at Jean Boudriots words
Boudriot.jpg

So now I want to show you, how the kit prepared and I made the platform
IMG-4965.jpg

first of all the sidewalls (part 2D-1)- here the notches are not deep enough to take over the four small beams - on the photo the left one is already prepared
IMG-4966.jpg

This photo is showing the ends of the beams (parts 3A-4) - the top one how it comes out with laser cut and the lower one with the prepared reduced thickness and the fishtail
IMG-4968.jpg

the two strengthening beams (dimension 4*4), which have to be installed at the sidewalls - the top one with the notches (done by a chisel) - the lower one you can see my pencil markings for the fishtail notches
IMG-4967.jpg

IMG-4963.jpg

So here now the dry fit
IMG-4969.jpg

IMG-4970.jpg

some small adjustments are still necessary.....
IMG-4971.jpg

and finally fixed and sanded
IMG-4980.jpg

IMG-4981.jpg

Regarding the depth of the notches in 2D-1: If you look at Tom's build he did not make the top of 2D-1 flush with the top of the 4x4 list. He made a step for the planking (the planks cannot be fixed as it is the only access way to the ballast)
View attachment 195154
Good point,
This could be, but than the sketch in the manual is showing it wrong - I was planning to add a small 1*1 inside under / or between the beams of the box, so that the box planking can lay on them

Regarding the depth of the notches in 2D-1: If you look at Tom's build he did not make the top of 2D-1 flush with the top of the 4x4 list. He made a step for the planking (the planks cannot be fixed as it is the only access way to the ballast)
View attachment 195154
I guess you are right - the beams have (I think) 3mm height, the fishtail has to me 1,5mm, so the height difference between the top of the sidewalls 2D-1 should be 1,5mm lower than the top of the longitudinal 4*4mm beams.
With this cover planking of the platform can lay on top of the sidewalls (like shown on the CAF-model.....

Here I want to refer to my post #212
in which I mentioned the possible ending of the inner planking at midship
My "solutions are wrong, which I know in the meantime, latest tomorrow I will show you why I came to this conclusion.
Nevertheless I want to give you the hint already now, where the planks should end.
According my actual knowledge the planking should completely overlap and cover the frames 17 and 25 !!!

View attachment 194704
Hi Uwek .
Looking at the drawings of caf model, your photographs and taking the measurements with the pre-cut strips it seems to me that instead of the 17 is the rib number 12.
I'm wrong?

Hi Uwek .
Looking at the drawings of caf model, your photographs and taking the measurements with the pre-cut strips it seems to me that instead of the 17 is the rib number 12.
I'm wrong?
Oh yes - my mistake - it is 12 - I corrected it in the mentioned post - Many THanks

Hi Uwek .
I'm wrong?
I guess Uwe is thinking we are all over his back :) Sorry Uwe, you are the leader of the pack and since we are all following in your footsteps . . . .

I guess Uwe is thinking we are all over his back :) Sorry Uwe, you are the leader of the pack and since we are all following in your footsteps . . . .
Somehow you are right - It is a pitty, that I am making the mistakes and you all can make a beautiful and correct model....... ;)
No
I am joking - I am happy, when I am able to help others here, and also it is making some fun to try to find the best way (with thinking) also with sometimes mistakes and errors
- somehow I can feel like I would also partly develop the kit or like a researcher..... :cool:
And maybe when I am finished with the "test" kit -> I will get from CAF a brand new kit and build a second model better with the researched knowledge of this and your building log(s)

Somehow you are right - It is a pitty, that I am making the mistakes and you all can make a beautiful and correct model....... ;)
No
I am joking - I am happy, when I am able to help others here, and also it is making some fun to try to find the best way (with thinking) also with sometimes mistakes and errors
- somehow I can feel like I would also partly develop the kit or like a researcher..... :cool:
And maybe when I am finished with the "test" kit -> I will get from CAF a brand new kit and build a second model better with the researched knowledge of this and your building log(s)
You are a leader and us are just mere followers.

No
Don’t worry Uwe, I’ve not had a lot of time lately but very soon I will take over some of your burdens and will share an abundance of my mistakes and blunders on my build with our fellow builders here!

No
Hallo Uwe, unfortunately I am not as busy as Chello. I am just working on the last frame parts. Since this is my first POF model, I am very grateful to all of you, but especially to you, for letting me share your "mistakes". I will do enough myself. But Ithink what counts here is the joy and enthusiasm wth which we all go to work. Thanks a lot.

Many Many Thanks for your kind words and likes - much appreciated.....

So, let us go further with my mistakes ;)

I refer to my post #
where I was already describing, based on my error I made earlier where the ending of the inner planking should be....

remember this photo, in which are the correct ending points of the planks are marked with the red lines
IMG-4944aa.jpg

and here you can see directly how I defined this
-> The bulkhead walls (C1-2 and C1-3) of the interior have to be located at the end of the platform structure
If you would locate the walls some mm different, than you would have here a gap (red arrows)
IMG-5011a.jpg

Now we can take also a short look at the bulkheads, which I started now to adjust the form according the real internal planking (btw: very small adjustments were necessary)
IMG-4952.jpg

C1-2 and C1-3 (shown on the right hand of photo) are only templates to get and adjust the correct form, so that they are fitting best inside the hull.
The final walls have to be build by the laser cut elements shown on the left hand - the small horizontal line marked on the wall planks is the marked level for a "connection" board, which will be also later the base for the deck planking (see red arrows on the CAF photos)
IMG-5013.jpg

The CAF-photos
7.jpg

15 (1)a.jpg

24a.jpg

One final comment to the templates
IMG-5009a.jpg

- when we take a close look at the area which I marked with red arrows we can see that CAF was planning once to have the two thick stuff planks in the inner planking.... remember this cross section (here marked with green arrows)
j0873aaa.jpg

The mast well was the next element

IMG-4995.jpg

IMG-4996.jpg

IMG-4994.jpg

IMG-4997.jpg

IMG-5003.jpg

IMG-5004.jpg

IMG-4999.jpg

IMG-5001.jpg

has to be located between the two beams 5A-1 and 5A-2
IMG-5002.jpg

and here also with the partner 3A-5 for the mast - Part 3B-1 I will install later on
IMG-5008.jpg

IMG-5005.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .......

I agree with you, Poul.
I am finishing the stern and I find that the system proposed by Caf Model is not very practical. I think it would be easier to continue aft with strips of the same size as those proposed for the bow.
Also from an aesthetic point of view .... It is true that purists would say that the bow rods are not even in true scale with the authentic, but at least they leave the charm of the planking that runs along the sides unaltered .. aft instead is very far from recreating the idea of the original.
At least that's my humble opinion

Back