Le Fleuron 1729 - 64 Gun Ship PoB Scratch Build in 1:48 - (Ancre Monograph-J. Boudriot/G. Delacroix)

Wow, I feel like I have an extended family, which is not really surprising to me. I've been fortunate to find SoS.

Anyway, fever broke about 9 days ago, but still have mild flu like symptoms and testing positive every day since. While I still don't have the energy or focus to play with my own ship, rest assured, I'm living vicariously through everyone else's great works. I'm reminded, each time I read, how much talent all you guys/gals have.

See ya soon!

Wow, I feel like I have an extended family, which is not really surprising to me. I've been fortunate to find SoS.

Anyway, fever broke about 9 days ago, but still have mild flu like symptoms and testing positive every day since. While I still don't have the energy or focus to play with my own ship, rest assured, I'm living vicariously through everyone else's great works. I'm reminded, each time I read, how much talent all you guys/gals have.

See ya soon!
They say you can test positive for over a month. They told me not to bother testing till February. And not to get a vaccination till then.

Thanks for the info Vic. I was testing every other day to ration the 10 kits I had, as I need see family, but not until I'm safe to do so. Great news is I tested NEGATIVE this morning. I'll use my very last test kit tomorrow just to be safe, but looks like I'm "good to go".

Hello everyone.
I've got the itch to get back to work on my ship, but I've not yet done so. For a number of reasons. I've been rethinking how I want address the main gun deck. Originally, I wanted to build the entire deck with all the internal elements and make them viewable through a borescope camera. I've been rethinking this. It may be a bit ambitious for my first scratch build. I've not yet decided yet. But, I am leaning towards constructing dummy guns, closing the deck, focusing on the upper decks and the rest of the ship. While I ponder this, I have been doing some other things.

I've not been completely idle however and while I give that main deck decision some more time, I've been testing some other things "off ship".
Specifically, the gun ports. Prior to COVID, I was addressing the gun port sills and vertical linings. I've never worked with Padauk wood. So I wanted to test it to see if it had the density and tight enough grain to withstand thin processing (1.0mm).

So I processed the upper and lower sills as well as the vertical side pieces, without any issues. I did find Padauk has a "chalky" kind of texture.
IMG_0279.JPGIMG_0281.JPG

In addition to the Padauk, I wanted to test other elements related to the gun ports.
- Color contrast between the Padauk and Pear woods
- Plank nailing, (fabrication, appearance)
- Finishes (oil + bitumen)

So I created a gun port test board, off ship to avoid any issues. When testing I always expect to some results I like and some I don't. I check off the good and attempt another approach for the results I didn't like and then retest. This test was no different. You will notice some color variations in the photos. They were taken at different times, under different lighting conditions. The latter phots best represent the actual test board.

gunport1.jpggunport2.jpg

Highlighted is the one of the reasons I test off ship while still not 100% from COVID.. ROTF

gunport4.jpggunport5.jpggunport7.jpg

Also, later on this same test board, I will install the clenched bolts that support the internal gun tackle. Actually looking forward to them as I think I have a solid approach.

So, after final review I decided I WILL use the Padauk for the gun port sills and linings. I'm happy with the contrast as it is subtle enough next to the Pear wood. It was easy to mill and process as well. Thanks Dave!

I'm happy with the Pear wood planks, although, for the test I did not process them to the same extent I would have if I were doing it to place on the model. I do regret this. However, I'm confident when I do process them to spec, they will be fine.

Nails, hmmmm the nails. This is the one element, there is always one, that I'm not completely pleased with. When cutting brass wire with pliers, there is a clean cut side and a "pinched" cut side. I always want to have the clean cut end to be outboard for the clean appearances. It seems I installed some of them with the pinched side. This is obvious from the photos. However, I'm not completely satisfied with the clean cut ends either.
The process I used;
- Drill a 0.46 hole for the nails.
- Treat the planks with Teak oil, 1 coat, wait a day, wipe clean and apply the 2nd coat.
- Bitumen diluted in mineral spirits (1:10)
- Press the 0.5 nails into the pre-drilled holes
- Apply Casey's Brass Black to the exposed nail heads.

The blackening process seemed to take on some nail heads, but not others. Also, the blackening solution seemed to wash into some of the nail holes via a capillary action. I thought by applying the oil first as others have done this would have been prevented.

I will do some more processing and testing. I will attempt to process nails using the "blade roll" cut that some modelers have used with great success. This produces as bit of a nail head, which is rounded. Also, for the appearance I'm trying to achieve, I will blackened the nails prior to inserting. I will test some other nail options on the same board to explore other "out there" options.

Not much of an update, but I'm still alive!

Thanks for following along. Until next time....

Last edited:
Hi Ken, could you try Amati burnished nails with hammered head
s-l500.jpg

Thanks Frank. Yes, I have been looking for nails available on the retail market. I just can't seem to find any of 0.5mm diameter. Anything thicker is out of scale. Actually, I've been looking for 0.45mm, but alas.

Interesting test sample Ken.A couple of points, firstly the wood grain on the lower cills need to run along the length of the ship.Secondly, if you have a go at nail rolling, it is all about the edge of the blade, it needs to be dull with about a 90 degree included angle between the "cutting" edges

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back