LE ROCHEFORT

Hello Gilles, Sorry to rile you up so, this was not at all my attention, Don PM me asking for some input on building the frames for his ship, this I gave to the best of my knowledge. I in no way tried to imply that my way was the only way, merely giving Don a few choices to build his ship as he prefers.
Regards Lawrence

No worries. All good here.

Ok!
Are you confident the paper pattern on the front side is lined-up with the patterns on the back side?
Are you confident the notches are accurately placed?

GILLES THE PICTUR THAT I SHOWED WITH THE JOINTS IS THE FIRST LAYER OF THE FRAME No. 26 went together like a charm the second layer not so took a lot of dry fitting to finsh it up, now on other frame the second layer goes togethe like a charm ( SO THERE IS NO CONFUSION THE SECOND LAYER GOES LIKE A BRICK THREE INDIVIALE PIECES FOOT THE FUTTOCKN THEN TOP TIMBER A LL PUT ON THE FIRST LAYER SEPERATLY WITH JOINTS. I HOPE I AMEXPRESSING MYSELF CORRECTLY. Don

The most important notches are the ones for the keel. Do not worry about the ones up for the keelson.

Last edited:
So when you build your frame, to get paper on both sides, you assemble the first layer, then flip it over (face down) then add the second layer with the patterns face up?

FOR THE FIRST PART i do not quite understand abut the patterns, i take and line out the first layer patterns then cut them on the band saw, the second layer the same procedure, i mark each piece on both layers on the sides corosponding to the ble line witch i have marked, the second part is NO I AM NOT CONFIDENT OF THE NOTCHES, BECAUSE OF ALL THE MEAT LEFT I HAVE DO FIRST SAWING THE NOTH TO A POIN WHERE IT IS FEASIBLE TO MILL IT, i follow the pattern as close as i can, trying to be as accurate as ican both the notches for the keel and the notches for the keelson witch are already made, i can take another picture of ths futtocks and how i mark them the one i am showing is a throw away give me a minute. Don

No GILLES GIVE ME A MINUTE AN D I WILL SHOW YOU THE PROCEDURE THAT I USE AND I THINK YOU CAN SEE THE NOTHES ON BOTH THE LAYERS A LITTLE OVERSIZE D BECAUSE WHEN I DRY FITTED THE FRAME TO KEEL IT WAS TO TIGHT, SO GIVE ME ABOUT 10 minutes and i will draw the prcedure out in the stages that i do. Don

In your reply just say Yes or No
for example: 1) Yes

1) When you build your first layer (bottom layer), the paper is on top (face up)? Yes or no
2) When you add the second layer (top layer) the paper is also on top (face up)? Yes or No

If Yes to both question, it would mean the following:
3) that the paper glued to layer one is sandwiched between the 2 layers? as per the photo the answer is NO
4) that the first layer has been flipped over to end up with the paper on the opposite side (1st layer face down)? Yes or No.

@donfarr please see the previous 2 posts.

The reason why I am asking if you flipped the first layer upside down before gluing the 2nd layer on top of the first, is that unless both sides of the frame (port and starboard sides) are perfectly symmetrical you may have a bit of a problem. This problem will be the result of having the side that was the port side of the first layer (when the paper was on top) ending up being the starboard side once you flip the layer upside down. Chances are, this is the reason why the lines do not match in some cases.
The problem will be compounded if your notches are not perfectly centered at the foot of the frame.
Does it make sense?
G.

Last edited:
OK GILLES, HERE IS THE PROCDURE HOPE THE PICTURES SHOW WHAT I AM TRYING TO EXPLAIN, HERE GOES20200326_023536.jpg20200326_023452.jpg20200326_023257.jpg20200326_024605.jpg

Attachments

• 20200326_024441.jpg
    20200326_024441.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
GILLES POST 492, NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN PLEASE BEAR WITH ME SOME TIMES WHEN NERVOUS MY BRAIN DOES NOT ACTIVATE, need to digest what you are saying. Don

So how did you get the paper on both sides of the frame?
1)You removed the paper from the top of layer 1,
2)then glue layer 2 on top of layer 1,
3)and then glue a new frame pattern on the back face of layer 1?

NO i cut the pattern as shown on the plan rubber cement that to wood blank all from one sheet of plans so when looking at the pattern is glued as you see it on the plans, second layer another sheet same prcedure, so both as yo see it on the plans i think i am getting a picture of what you are asking, BOY I HOPE I AM EXPLAINING MYSELF corectly, after layer one is complete i start layer 2 with the floor timber lining up the keel notch and then futtock blue lines up from floor timber to futtock same with top tomber nblue line lining up with blue line, am i explaining correctly. Don

ONLY ONE PATTERN for first layer and one pattern for second layer just 2 patterns, floor timber, futtoc, top timber. hope i am making sence

Back