LE ROCHEFORT

Hi Don. I don't post very often but watch each update religiously. Now I think you have reached the point where you can really feel as if you have made some REAL progress. I am glad you stuck to it as per my personal advice to you.
@SZKUTNIK That jig is a masterpiece! I will book your services in future, if I may.

THANKS HEINRICH,, YES KRIS DOES AMAZING STUFF, A JOY TO WORK WITH, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STEP IN WITH ANY COMMENTS AND ADVICE, THE FRAMES SO FAR ARE FITTING IN NICELY, BETTER THEN I THOUGHT, PROBLEM IS AS I THOUGHT THE KEEL NOTCHES HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET THEM SEATED PROPERLY, AND TO DO SOME FINAL SANDING TO EVEN HEIGHT, LOTS MORE TO DO WITH THE LORDS HELP I CAN PROCEED, THE JIG IS A SUPER ONE COULD NOT DO IT WITH OUT THIS, BRAVO KRIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hi Don,

She is really starting to look like a ship now, so far so good. The only remark is that from the first picture is looks like your keel is slightly warped, stem and stern not in line. It can however be the angle of the picture.
20200721_190652.jpg

Hi Don,

On all frames I would mark the top of the keel with a pencil, you can then alter the frames so they fit to the correct height on the keel, also mark a center line so they are also centered to the keel. The top of the frames will be centered by your fantastic jig.

Last edited:
HI ALL HAVING PROBLEMS SENDING OUT PICTURES DO NOT KNOW WHY, HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DAUGHTER GETS HOME WENSDAY, IN THE MEANTIME MAARATEEN HAVING PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE SAYING SORRY BUT SOMETIMES HAVE A PROBLEM VISULIZING WHAT IS BEING SAID. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

Years ago when beginning my apprenticeship in architecture an older architect admonished me thtat it is more important to remember the list of "things not to do" than the much longer list of "do this"! The results for each are very different and can be massive when the "don't do this' are violated. Same in model buiding I am learning so that I don't have to go back, cut apart, and redo; which I am willing to do but wastes time and possibly the end product.
I like your analogy to rock as mountains can be removed one rock at a time. ;) PT-2

YEP MIKE, ONE MORE FRAME TO GO GO THEN I WILL ALIGN THE KEEL AND JIG, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ALIGN THEM, ALSO WHAT I AM DOING AS I LEFT A LITTLE MEAT ON THE FRAMES IS VERY AND I MEAN VERY SLOWLY WIT 2 DREMELL WITH FINE GRIT DRUMS AND A LOT OF FITTING AND SANDING, FITTING AND SANDING, I TAKES ME ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO A FRAME WELL WORTH IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

HI ALL HAVING PROBLEMS SENDING OUT PICTURES DO NOT KNOW WHY, HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DAUGHTER GETS HOME WENSDAY, IN THE MEANTIME MAARATEEN HAVING PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE SAYING SORRY BUT SOMETIMES HAVE A PROBLEM VISULIZING WHAT IS BEING SAID. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON
Hi Don,

Maybe Mike already helped you with his PM but what I meant is that you need a good reference to place the frames at the correct height on the keel when fine tuning them. First all the frames need a correct center line that they will be dead center on the keel. This centerline in the frame should be in line with the middel line of the keel.
Inked20200721_190652_LI.jpg
Secondly you need a height reference. As you have a building board were your keel is level (and not your waterline) you should take a reference line (Red line) to the bottom of the keel (Blue line). You can draw this line on all the frames and they should then all have the same distance from that line to the building board. This ensures all your frames are placed in the correct height on the keel. This is the best methode as your keel notches are not all equal and you can fine adjust your keel notches to get a correct fit.

Inked20200523_000034_LI.jpg
Inked20200721_190653_LI.jpg

Hi Don,

what I miss in your building board, is the center line. Before I start with every other work, I would carfully mark this. The line has to be very precise, because she very important to get a symmetric hull.
Is there a possibility to fix the stem and the stern? If not, I would add this supporters. If you have fixed the backbone of your hull, you can start with the frames.

HI CHRISTIAN THANKS I WILL IN THE NEXT SET I WILL SEND PICTURES OF HOW THE STERN IS SET, WITH THE WAY THAT KRIS DID THIS JIG IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO PUT A CENTER LINE ON THE BASE AS IT EXISTS WITH THE 2 SIDE PIECS NEXT TO WHERE THE KEL IS SET ON EITHER SIDE AND HE DID A FANTASTIC JOB ON THE JIG, WILL ALSO SHOW THIS ON A PICTURE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DO

OK BACK ON THE LE ROCHEFORT, BECOMING OBSESED WITH THE LONG BOAT MIKE S WAS RIGHT AS ALWAYS NOTHING EASY ABOUT THIS BUILD, OK LE ROCHEFORT DOING THE LOCATION ON EACH FRAME AS MARRATEN SUGESTED ALS PROOFING AND TOP OF FRAME LOCATIONS STILL HAVE QUESTIONS ON MARATENS SUGESTION AS THE JIG DOES NOT ALLOW THE BOTTOM OF THE KEEL, MORE LIKE THE BOTTOM OF THE RABBIT, TOMORROW MARKING OUT ON THE JIG THE FRAME LOCATIONS AS PER MIKE, ALSO LAST OF THE JIG PIECES WILL BE INSTALLED20200801_203524.jpg20200801_203524.jpg20200801_203524.jpg20200801_203643.jpg

Back