Medieval Fortified Village

Yes, you're right, it would be a shame to present the village in 3 parts, but simply, I was responding to the different possibilities. Since I built it in 3 bases of 50x37cm, we can divide it completely.
The reason is simple: I need to be able to transport it easily if needed, starting by being able to take it down from my attic-studio!
The 2nd reason is that I can with this system continue to make other future parts that could complete this set. :cool:

Yes, you're right, it would be a shame to present the village in 3 parts, but simply, I was responding to the different possibilities. Since I built it in 3 bases of 50x37cm, we can divide it completely.
The reason is simple: I need to be able to transport it easily if needed, starting by being able to take it down from my attic-studio!
The 2nd reason is that I can with this system continue to make other future parts that could complete this set. :cool:
Growing village like growing families! It is well planned and executed. Rich (PT-2)

I'm building the last block of houses for the center of the village. A long time of carpentry!

But before going any further, I had had an idea for a long time.
We had to look a little more precisely at what it looked like in the 14th. A windmill to create from scratch.
The reason why we hardly have them anymore in France is that they were totally made of wood. There are only a few re-creations left and the stone bases most of the time. I went to search some archives on the net and here is the result :

Really nice!!! I love windmills!
Very nice task of research on you part leading to this windmill. I am surprised that the blades are/were of wood and not cloth as other windmills for lighter weight and greater driving/rotational forces. Nice carpentry on your part after being a stone mason for so long. Rich (PT-2)

Perfect- I suppose the base is meant to allow the whole structure to turn according to the direction of the wind and the extension arm with a roller is very nice.
Very good research, even better model.

@PT-2
Thanx Rich ;)
The construction of mills has changed little over the centuries. In the 14th century, Europeans brought the idea of windmills back from the Middle East after the first crusades. The only thing that evolved were the stone bases to make them less fragile, and the canvases on the wings when fabric became more common for everything. But at that time, everything was made of wood, a very abundant resource and easy to build.

@JohnA Thanx ! Yes, that's it: the wooden axle at the foot of the stairs is used to orientate the whole mill on its vertical axis to be in the right direction of the wind. This is the reason for this central foot placed on 4 wooden and stone pillars. What made the construction rather fragile...

USER=5423]@JohnA[/USER] Thanx ! Yes, that's it: the wooden axle at the foot of the stairs is used to orientate the whole mill on its vertical axis to be in the right direction of the wind. This is the reason for this central foot placed on 4 wooden and stone pillars. What made the construction rather fragile...
Thanks, added to that the weight of the grinding stones and the bags of grain inside the building -that would make this structure pivoting on a single point a little worrisome. But it does look awesome.

Thanks, added to that the weight of the grinding stones and the bags of grain inside the building -that would make this structure pivoting on a single point a little worrisome. But it does look awesome.
Is this "cottage industry" located within your village or nearby outside were the converging pathways would obtain access and the cart away their flour? This is an excellent addition that stands out from the mostly stone or cross timber wattle and daub house inside. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 This mill must be placed beyond the cloister and the church (at the very edge of the 3rd base of the model), where the fields begin and where the wind is most favourable for the millstone of this mill... :)

@PT-2 This mill must be placed beyond the cloister and the church (at the very edge of the 3rd base of the model), where the fields begin and where the wind is most favourable for the millstone of this mill... :)
Would that favorable wind be from an open door? ;-) Rich PT-2

I'm building the last block of houses for the center of the village. A long time of carpentry!

But before going any further, I had had an idea for a long time.
We had to look a little more precisely at what it looked like in the 14th. A windmill to create from scratch.
The reason why we hardly have them anymore in France is that they were totally made of wood. There are only a few re-creations left and the stone bases most of the time. I went to search some archives on the net and here is the result :

As a former semi-professional (wind)miller, I love your Post Mill very much. With the old-fashion wings! GREAT!
Regards, Peter

@PT-2
No, not through an open door.
Simply, the back of the cloister and the church will not be behind a rampart or a wall... The buildings themselves are the outer walls of the village!
As is often the case, these religious buildings were very solidly built and their walls could very well serve as ramparts. Moreover, I think that the whole village is on a plateau, therefore naturally defended by steep slopes.
The mill is at the vacuum, at the end of this hill! :cool:

@Peter Voogt Thanx ! That's a real compliment from a pro! Thumbsup

As a former semi-professional (wind)miller, I love your Post Mill very much. With the old-fashion wings! GREAT!
Regards, Peter
I am amazed that back then they knew the concept of a propeller pitch for the rotation. It took many centuries and decades later to understand the concept of a refined propeller pitch to the rotation speed and forward thrust for aircraft. Rich (PT-2)

@Peter Voogt Thanx ! That's a real compliment from a pro! Thumbsup
Thank you. But you are a pro-builder with attention to detais. The small open shutters on both sides on the milling loft caught my attention. Because those are essential to this Post Mills. If you as a miller are busy inside, with the mill right on the wind, then through those open shutters you feel the clearing (clockwise) or shrinking (anticlockwise) wind. And it is time to ‘catch the mill’ and get it back on the wind.
We call stopping the windmill: catching the mill. Because the brake around the wheel on the main shaft is named ‘The Catch’. But I don’t know if this it the right translation from Dutch to English. Neither to France.;)
And the other nice detail: The wooden shaft with the stacked wooden rods. Okay
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Here is the current state of the last houses of the village... :)

The half-timberings are made, being dyed, the walls are also finished, either in cob, bricks or stones.
As this block of house really comes in the center of the village, I tried to make a logical link with all other constructions around, while remaining consistent in time and logic.
The next step: windows, doors, chimneys.

PC040001.JPGPC040002.JPGPC040003.JPGPC040004.JPGPC040005.JPGPC040006.JPGPC040007.JPGPC040008.JPGPC040009.JPG

Here is the current state of the last houses of the village... :)

The half-timberings are made, being dyed, the walls are also finished, either in cob, bricks or stones.
As this block of house really comes in the center of the village, I tried to make a logical link with all other constructions around, while remaining consistent in time and logic.
The next step: windows, doors, chimneys.

View attachment 196985View attachment 196986View attachment 196987View attachment 196988View attachment 196989View attachment 196990View attachment 196991View attachment 196992View attachment 196993
What name will you give to your village? I don't recall a country but that is all in your control. This is a fascinating project to imagine what may occur within and without the walls. Rich (PT-2)

Thanx Rich !
I located this village in the south west of France, near a very big city in the 14th century like Toulouse for example. The slope of the roofs, the use of beige stones, but also the proximity of forests allowing half-timbering and wooden fortifications, determines the region concerned.
For the name, I have not determined anything for the moment. Especially since, perhaps one day, this village could grow and find itself at the edge of a river for example with a harbour and a medieval cog accosted ...
We will then see to name it with a name like ["name of the village" over "name of the river"], for example. ;)

Just one or two more things to coc
What name will you give to your village? I don't recall a country but that is all in your control. This is a fascinating project to imagine what may occur within and without the walls. Rich (PT-2
What name will you give to your village? I don't recall a country but that is all in your control. This is a fascinating project to imagine what may occur within and without the walls. Rich (PT-2)
Just one or two more things to occupy your mind as you continue your construction. Rich (PT-2)

Some pictures of the construction site with the (very small) assembly of the windows and bow-windows of the houses in the center.

And an upgrade of the cloister with the improved well, but also the pediments enriched with a frieze of stones and tiles. The well of the village has also finally received the right rope and crank...

Back