My Swing at Caldercraft HMS Victory

What brand of copper plates are you using?

I have seen that brand of CA from many sources, they all get from same company, but have their brand labels applied when sold to them, my local hobby shop sells them as well.

What brand of copper plates are you using?

I have seen that brand of CA from many sources, they all get from same company, but have their brand labels applied when sold to them, my local hobby shop sells them as well.
The copper plates are from Jotika, came with the Caldercraft kit. Look to be high quality to my untrained eye. An interesting wrinkle is that you often find 2 or 3 plates sandwiched together. All are usable, just have to pick them apart before gluing.

Same glue that I use, but not from Model Expo. I get mine from the local hobby shop in the 1/2 oz bottles.
Corsair:
?Local hobby shop?
I thought they were extinct.
The closest I have to a local hobby shop is Hobby Lobby.
Little by little they are going out of business down here in Miami.
The very few still standing have very limited items, almost nothing and mostly plastic kits.

A few days ago I visited Model Expo the Carlos told me he is getting lots of walks in to see the warehouse and also to shop.
That is the only complete Hobby Shop down here in Miami.

The copper plates are from Jotika, came with the Caldercraft kit. Look to be high quality to my untrained eye. An interesting wrinkle is that you often find 2 or 3 plates sandwiched together. All are usable, just have to pick them apart before gluing.
Yep, there are still a few around. I will tell you that if we only go to the local shops for the odd bottle of paint that we need, the local shops will not last long. I strongly encourage everyone on the forums to go to their local hobby shops (if they have one) to shop for needed supplies/small tools first. Otherwise when you will need that odd *insert small resource here*, you will have no other choice but to order it.

Have been applying the copper plates to the underwater hull for the past few/many weeks. Just finished the port side and touched up the waterline with black paint. Found the plating to be quite tedious and was anxious as to how it would finish up. Started along the keel as mentioned in the directions and just kept working from stern to bow. In the end, it finished up pretty well by my standards with only a few minor trims at the stern around row 13 of the install. Took some trimming right at the waterline. A lifesaver was a post by someone that I can no longer remember that when using CA glue, moisture makes the glue set much faster. Tried that and it worked great. Put a few drops of medium CA on each copper plate, took a paint brush with a little water and brushed the wood spot where the plate was destined to sit, and then applied the plate. Set in a few seconds. Also tried to very slightly bend the plates to conform with the curve of the hull where necessary before applying the plate. Again, just did the port side so that I could learn my lessons before starting the starboard side. Have attached a few photos to show how it turned out. View attachment 369542View attachment 369543View attachment 369544View attachment 369545View attachment 369547View attachment 369548
Awesome job

Just completed the coppering of the hull. Quite a few weeks of work, tedious doesn't begin to describe. Per the list of materials provided with the kit, Caldercraft provides 2600 copper plates to do the job (took their word for it!!). I have about 250 left over and gooned about 20 pieces during the installation. Kudos to Caldercraft for providing significant extras just in case. Will be a shock to see the old Victory right side up for a change. Have attached a few photos of the finished product.
DSCF1215.JPGDSCF1216.JPGDSCF1217.JPGDSCF1218.JPGDSCF1219.JPG

Just completed the coppering of the hull. Quite a few weeks of work, tedious doesn't begin to describe. Per the list of materials provided with the kit, Caldercraft provides 2600 copper plates to do the job (took their word for it!!). I have about 250 left over and gooned about 20 pieces during the installation. Kudos to Caldercraft for providing significant extras just in case. Will be a shock to see the old Victory right side up for a change. Have attached a few photos of the finished product.
View attachment 372800View attachment 372801View attachment 372802View attachment 372803View attachment 372804
Good morning. Looks stunning. Tedious pays off when it comes out like this. Cheers Grant

Wow, that’s just awesome! Wish you would have shown your process for getting them that consistent, certainly makes a huge difference when they are done correctly!
Lou, thanks. I am no expert at this. Just started at the stern keel and went forward to the stem. Worked my way up, going aft to forward. Very minor trimming at the bow when meeting the stem. About 13 or 14 rows up I did choose to adjust the curve of the rows at the stern. Probably not necessary but seemed to work. Had to do a fair bit of fitting when approaching the waterline but was pretty straightforward work. Did notice that I was over critical of my work on some Individual plates. When the side is complete, the effect of all those plates is pretty overwhelming and a small hiccup on some individual plates gets lost in the overall appearance.

View attachment 372800View attachment 372801View attachment 372802View attachment 372803View attachment 372804
Having recently done a hull with copper plates I can only agree about the tedium but your hull is really beautiful. You have done an awesome job!

My congratulation´s for reaching this step in construction
Good result on the coppering

Have been at this for 10 months now, get in about an hour or so a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Have been slowed a little lately as the Admiral just had a knee replaced a month ago and I have been doing double duty around the house. This kit has been very challenging and rewarding and sometimes a little overwhelming. I have taken some liberties with some of the painting and some of gun rigging but I am pleased with the results. All the pieces up on the bow went together better than I hoped. Rigging for the guns on the focsle was not really described anywhere so I did my own thing. Not historically precise but it works for me. The catheads were among the most challenging things to install. It involves a three dimensional angle with three separate pieces and a lot of precise sanding. Am happy with how they turned out, a lot of luck involved there. Anyway, am now planking the poop deck and getting ready for work on deck fittings. Rigging looms like a cumulo-nimbus cloud on the horizon. Pray for me:):eek: Please..

DSCF1224.JPG
DSCF1225.JPGDSCF1226.JPGDSCF1228.JPGDSCF1229.JPGDSCF1230.JPGDSCF1231.JPGDSCF1232.JPGDSCF1233.JPG

Have been at this for 10 months now, get in about an hour or so a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Have been slowed a little lately as the Admiral just had a knee replaced a month ago and I have been doing double duty around the house. This kit has been very challenging and rewarding and sometimes a little overwhelming. I have taken some liberties with some of the painting and some of gun rigging but I am pleased with the results. All the pieces up on the bow went together better than I hoped. Rigging for the guns on the focsle was not really described anywhere so I did my own thing. Not historically precise but it works for me. The catheads were among the most challenging things to install. It involves a three dimensional angle with three separate pieces and a lot of precise sanding. Am happy with how they turned out, a lot of luck involved there. Anyway, am now planking the poop deck and getting ready for work on deck fittings. Rigging looms like a cumulo-nimbus cloud on the horizon. Pray for me:):eek: Please..

View attachment 391569
View attachment 391570View attachment 391571View attachment 391572View attachment 391573View attachment 391574View attachment 391575View attachment 391576View attachment 391577
Good morning. This is stunning. A wonderful rendition of the HMS Victory. You have owned it and I’m sure you will own the rigging too. Cheers Grant

Back