Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

The process continues, bits and pieces laid out for the next burst of build energy.

2909906A-9883-4721-814C-5383622C551B.jpeg

The gunport frames (upper right) need to be filed and beveled and dry fit in place. The cannon carriage is a neat little build. Watching Pavel’s video for this step provided the opportunity of learning a new skill. The axle piece of the carriage requires the wheel hubs to be rounded. Following his example I chucked the piece in my cordless drill and at a slow speed filed them into shape. A small step in the learning process but for a bumbler like me it was a huge success. The lower left pieces will be the first of the four carriages to be assembled.

I am glad that the gunports on the Port Side are finished, and you have made good progress on the gun carriages. I await yout planking of the galleon with bated breath, because only then will her lines begin to show.

I am glad that the gunports on the Port Side are finished, and you have made good progress on the gun carriages. I await yout planking of the galleon with bated breath, because only then will her lines begin to show.
Ah, the planking is a bit in the future. I got notice this morning that my paint kit has started it's long journey to the USA. I need to paint the completed bulkheads, place them and then finish the last of the deck planking and paint the decks. So its going to be a while before the lines of the hull start to show.

The process continues, bits and pieces laid out for the next burst of build energy.

View attachment 350401

The gunport frames (upper right) need to be filed and beveled and dry fit in place. The cannon carriage is a neat little build. Watching Pavel’s video for this step provided the opportunity of learning a new skill. The axle piece of the carriage requires the wheel hubs to be rounded. Following his example I chucked the piece in my cordless drill and at a slow speed filed them into shape. A small step in the learning process but for a bumbler like me it was a huge success. The lower left pieces will be the first of the four carriages to be assembled.
Good afternoon Jan. Man this kit has a million little pieces. Those cannons look like horses drawn cannons (from the image. ).Never seen such cannon on a ship before but I think they will make quite an impression once on. I am very impressed with what I am seeing here. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Jan. Man this kit has a million little pieces. Those cannons look like horses drawn cannons (from the image. ).Never seen such cannon on a ship before but I think they will make quite an impression once on. I am very impressed with what I am seeing here. Cheers Grant
I've not done any research on the cannons, But Pavel does have this picture on his website. The carriage does seem unusual.

IMG_2566.jpeg

Out of an abundance of curiosity I'll see what I can find out about the ships cannons from that time period.

This looks like a beautifull 3D jigsaw puzzle Jan, it is looking great
Absolutely. It's one big puzzle, but a lot of fun to work on. I marvel at the amount of "engineering" that went into this kit. I've made a mistake here and there but all have been easy to correct. Using Pavel's method of dry fit, sand/file and dry fit again has saved ”my bacon" a few times:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've not done any research on the cannons, But Pavel does have this picture on his website. The carriage does seem unusual.

View attachment 350438

Out of an abundance of curiosity I'll see what I can find out about the ships cannons from that time period.
Good morning Jan. I hope you don’t find anything different. I think they look so cool. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. I hope you don’t find anything different. I think they look so cool. Cheers Grant
After perusing what information I could find, I'm sort of leaning towards and adaption of a field artillery piece without the horse drawn limber. The general shape of the cannon carriage looks like a smaller version of the artillery pieces used in the early 1500's. Maybe one of the historical experts here on SOS can provide more information.

Thank you for this information. I found a wealth of Spanish cannon data on the Internet, many, many photos, interpretations and assumptions, but none of it matched what I was looking for. The model of the San Bartolome is circa 1584, cannon manufacturing was still developing and continued to be refined in the later years. Your post is a great piece of historical data.

For you historical buffs here is some good reading about the Spanish Armada Galleons referred to as the “Twelve Apostles “. It’s a very detailed and lengthy Thesis covering the conception, construction and eventual deployment of those ships.

The Spanish Galleons

You’ll need a lot of tea, coffee or other libations to read the entire Thesis. The PDF is worth downloading, a lot of data, diagrams and explanations pertaining to the size and purpose of those type of ships.

Jan

Last edited:
For you historical buffs here is some good reading about the Spanish Armada Galleons referred to as the “Twelve Apostles “. It’s a very detailed and lengthy Thesis covering the conception, construction and eventual deployment of those ships.

The Spanish Galleons

You’ll need a lot of tea, coffee or other libations to read the entire Thesis. The PDF is worth downloading, a lot of data, diagrams and explanations pertaining to the size and purpose of those type of ships.

Jan
Thank you for the link, I didn't know about this site.

The Spanish Galleons

Jan
Good morning Jan. Always good to have research data on ships. Albeit, at the moment I'm searching for Xebec data....not much hanging around other than a reference book for the Le Requin 1750. Maybe one day a Spanish Galleon will raise its head in Grants ship choice. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Grant

Back