NORWAY`S HMS BLANDFORD CROSS SECTION BUILD 1-32

The keel .
It is glued black cardboard between keel and false keel.
kjøl-ny-gml (1).jpgkjøl-ny-gml (2).jpgkjøl-ny-gml (4).jpg
Mistakes,sanded too much of the pattern on the ends.
Result-not fit in jig, about 4-5mm.
kjøl-ny-gml (5).jpgkjøl-ny-gml (6).jpg

I make a new one,

Attachments

• kjøl-ny-gml (3).jpg
    kjøl-ny-gml (3).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 14
Bolts.
Bamboo soaked in black ink, not successful, the ink did not pull in completely, white on the inside.
20190526_094439.jpg20190526_094528.jpg

Graphite powder mixed with wood glue.
Two thicknesses 5mm and 8mm, with and without poly on.
What do you think, some opinions / suggestions ?.
20190526_094811.jpg20190528_073628.jpgx (1).jpgx (2).jpgx (3).jpg

Bolts.
Bamboo soaked in black ink, not successful, the ink did not pull in completely, white on the inside.
View attachment 98969View attachment 98970

Graphite powder mixed with wood glue.
Two thicknesses 5mm and 8mm, with and without poly on.
What do you think, some opinions / suggestions ?.
View attachment 98971View attachment 98972View attachment 98973View attachment 98974View attachment 98975
Is there a Special Reason, which you want to make the nails completely black?
I think the treenails of the frames, connecting floor timber and futtocks etc. Had no tar at all...... they were made out of the timber like the frames, so the Color can be only slightly darker than the Frame....so i think, they were definitely not Black

Uwe the black tree nails were meant to mimic the bolts on the frames, I changed my mind and didn't want to use black glue / tar when I glued the frames.
BDW, I have seen a reconstruction of a boat from the year 1800 where they used tar between all parts of the frame and keel.
I now plan to use only brass for bolts, and wooden nails of the same type as the materials in the deck and otherwise where there were wooden nails.
What do you think of brass bolts / samples is 8mm too thick or should I use 5mm ?.
Greeting-

Thanks Dave, now I've tried many techniques and materials.
Glad I have tried this since I have never built a model of this kind before.
I have tried out very many things that I will not use.
Have also made a lot of mistakes that I have learned from.
Must also mention all the good help I have received from all good friends here at SOS.
Greeting-

G'day Knut, very nice work and a great experience on trying out all the different methods and types of wood etc, I'm looking forward to the rest of your build,

By the way I feed my milling machine carrots, and then it makes beautiful Rabbits, :D:D:D:D, being silly arnt I,

best regards John.

Back