NORWAY`S HMS BLANDFORD CROSS SECTION BUILD 1-32

Lathe - cannon
I have never done this before, first attempt.
The cannon is made of birch, drilled hole for shaft, I made dust extraction of cardboard, saw some mistakes, see arrows, then loosen, lock screw (arrow), then everything collapses, but I'm happy since I've never tried this before, the next try will probably be a lot easier.

Regards-

It's a beautiful cannon Knut. I have the same lathe of Proxxon, I made Pickle's cannons by the lathe too but I am not so happy with the look of my cannons. What type of blade do you use or do you use only sand paper to make it? Thanks in advance.

Lathe - cannon
I have never done this before, first attempt.
The cannon is made of birch, drilled hole for shaft, I made dust extraction of cardboard, saw some mistakes, see arrows, then loosen, lock screw (arrow), then everything collapses, but I'm happy since I've never tried this before, the next try will probably be a lot easier.

Regards-

Gun barrel looks great. I have the same kiddy proxxon lathe and had trouble turning bowsprit, let alone gun barrel. Amazing build.

Mustafa, I am now making cannon number 3, soon to be finished, lacks the latest fine tuning.
I'm going to make an explanation with pictures of the whole process when I'm done, with all the tools I use and how I use it.
Thanks for all the compliments.
Regards-

Cannon number 3.
As usual, I hope the pictures show the most.
To make the last details on the cannon I think was difficult, therefore this cannon will not be the last.
However, it is good enough to use to try different techniques to copy to multiple guns.
Kanon 4 (1).jpgKanon 4 (2).jpgKanon 4 (3).jpgKanon 4 (4).jpgKanon 4 (5).jpgKanon 4 (6).jpgKanon 4 (7).jpgKanon 4 (8).jpgKanon 4 (9).jpgKanon 4 (10).jpgKanon 4 (11).jpgKanon 4 (12).jpgKanon 4 (13).jpgKanon 4 (14).jpgKanon 4 (15).jpgKanon 4 (16).jpgKanon 4 (17).jpgKanon 4 (18).jpgKanon 4 (19).jpgKanon 4 (20).jpgKanon 4 (21).jpgKanon 4 (22).jpg
Regards-

I agree. Mike planned the decking to be relatively simple. On the real ship the waterways sloped up to meet the thicker spirkiting ceiling plank on the bulwarks. That’s what I did in my build.

1582126300755.jpeg

First attempt with Brass Black.
I started by making some mixing containers, at an angle to empty the chemical into different containers.
Black (1) .jpgBlack (2) .jpgBlack (3) .jpg
Two glasses to wash the parts in acetone, with a small tea strainer.
Black (5).jpgBlack (6).jpg

The used chemical, Brass Black, I pour into a separate bottle.

Magical, one minute, black, well pleased with the result.
Black (8) .jpg
Regards-

Lower deck.
Planking, wooden nails and a layer of poly.
I glue the deck when I finish the cabinet under the deck.
lower deck (1).jpglower deck (2).jpglower deck (3).jpglower deck (4).jpglower deck (5).jpglower deck (6).jpglower deck (7).jpg
Questions about the hinges , Should I glue these on after applying poly ?.
I would think the hinges will be completely shiny if I apply poly after I glue them on.

Regards-

First attempt with Brass Black.
I started by making some mixing containers, at an angle to empty the chemical into different containers.
Great result, Knut. I have no luck with mine blackened saga... It does make turn details black but... for some reason, it doesn't hold it. If I rub (lightly) it goes away. I need more practice, thought. Do you have to give a bath of cold\hot water after chemical reaction?

Awesome work with chain pump and lover desk. You are a quick learner. Oh ...and that oil makes such a nice contrast. Bravo, Sathi (Friend in Nepali)

Hey Knut great work! I attached hinges before finish. I used tung oil, not sure how well glue would take to poly if you applied that first. The hinges did get a shine from the oil but I just sprayed them with a Matt varnish with the airbrush and the shine was gone.

Jim, I'm bathing the parts in cold water after, brass black.
Mike, I'm going for poly first, bet I get the hinges to sit, I'll also use nails / bolts to make it look nice, hope this helps with the attachment.
Thanks for their interest.

Dave, thanks for the tip, I'm going to make the wood surface more matte using a file / sandpaper. Therefore, the hinges are glued with super glue,
I create first and try to see if this is good enough.
Regards-

Shoot Cabinet.
The hinges are firmly attached even though I applied poly first, happy with the result so far,
Next will be black brass nails, but this I will try first before possibly mounting.
BDW, good glue.
a (1).jpga (2).jpgb (1).jpgb (2).jpgb (3).jpgb (4).jpgb (5).jpgb (6).jpgb (7).jpgnytt (3).jpg

Back