Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

We had learned a lot of rigging and seamanship. We can a hundred of times looking to a picture without notice. Till somebody asked what is this? :)

Mops for cleaning purposes on the beakhead were absolutely no waste of material, so Steef might very well be right. I saw that the pictured mops were of different sizes. Perhaps multi-purpose: anchors and seats-of-ease?
Sorry Matt for highjacking your thread for these discussions.

Hi All,

First of all... BIG thank you @Uwek @Steef66 @kirill4 @dockattner @Jimsky @Ab Hoving for b-day wishes!

Sorry to be quite for some time... but I was away from home and didn't have enough time to read carefully and join conversation.
@Ab Hoving @Steef66 and @kirill4 please feel free to hijack my log as much as you like with such a great discussion and facts! ROTF Huge knowledge mine!

Looking at your discussion guys I would lean to similar theory as Ab... that mops/brooms had multipurpose role... anchor/ seat-of-ease... maybe some other stuff too... if they didn't mind the smell ROTF
...but I will repeat myself... great discussion... even if we can't be sure of final conclusion.

@Zocane thank you very much for nice comment. It's really great motivation if someone looking at my model can find something interesting :)

Cheers,
Matt

Good job and choice You did Stephan!!!
I think it will looks nice!!!
I saw on the old Dutch pictures they managed them in various ways...parallel to the chanels and to the waterline and somewhere in between position...
Personaly , I prefer made them parallel to the waterline... :)

Good job and choice You did Stephan!!!
I think it will looks nice!!!
I saw on the old Dutch pictures they managed them in various ways...parallel to the chanels and to the waterline and somewhere in between position...
Personaly , I prefer made them parallel to the waterline... :)
Thanks Kirill but this is the wrong thread. :)

Hi All,

I've started painful process of arranging ropes around belaying pins, cleats, etc...

Not much place for hand or fingers so it's really :mad::mad::mad:
...biggest drama will be to reach belaying pins around main mast ROTF

I was thinking for long how to lay the ropes... and I've decided to go with coils laying down on the deck.
Rope was first laid on the pin around 3-4 times and then remaining rope was formed into coil.

5DM34898.JPG

5DM34899.JPG

5DM34907.JPG

5DM34900.JPG

5DM34896.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, Nice work. The ends are bays on dowels, where possible. Where there were no dowels, the bays lay on the deck. Otherwise, during an emergency, the sailor will grab the wrong rope, there will be confusion. And again, walking on the deck is hampered by many bays on it.

Wonderful - such coils are bringing some "life" on the decks - Thumbsup

Thank you @Daniel20 @Alexander74 and @Uwek

Alex you are right :) I thought to make some shortcuts and just dump coils on the deck... then right after I've posted above photos... I've changed them all ROTF

Uwe... true... rope coils make different look... one step closer to imitate real vessel.

Anyway... all belayed ropes are mostly hanged on the pins like they should... so it's more organized.
It gave me huge hard time o_O nerve wrecking process... o_O no chance to fit hand between ropes web... but after many insults it's doneROTF

All coils were prepared off the model... then coils were tied using excess of relevant rope. No glue. Just tight knot.
Why? No idea ROTF Probably just in case if I would like to change some rope one day... but I'm pretty much sure it won't happen anyway ROTF

Here and there some of the coils look little bit messy... but I will arrange them after "hoovering" deck from all kinds of debris.

5DM34912.JPG

5DM34918.JPG

5DM34910.JPG

5DM34914.JPG

5DM34921.JPG

5DM34916.JPG

5DM34922.JPG

5DM34924.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thank you @Tobias and @Steef66

This time I'm ready to show you how I approach anchor subject :)

I had another "toughie" about anchor buoy.
I've decided to go ahead with O. Blom visualization.

One more time I've seen at least 4 different kinds of buoys... but I bet on the simple look... simple vessel = simple buoy ROTF

Zrzut ekranu 2021-09-1 o 12.10.50.png

5DM34929.JPG

5DM34934.JPG

5DM34933.JPG

5DM34930.JPG

5DM34945.JPG

...and because when I did above photos I forgot to attach anchor ropes ROTF I have another session with ropes.

Two different knots for big (1) and small (2) anchor.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-09-1 o 13.35.38.png

5DM34949.JPG

5DM34951.JPG

5DM34950.JPG

5DM34952.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Back