POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

Hello dear friend,
my next task was to construct the rear timbers, not a nice job I can tell you Redface.

View attachment 388451

First I determined the angle and came up with 11 degrees, then I built a support and attached it to the rear.

View attachment 388452

View attachment 388453

Make the four middle rear timbers and align everything as well as adjust the lower window sills.

View attachment 388456

View attachment 388454

The side woods held me up a bit and it took some time to make.
Finally, remove the support and examine the result. I'm not 100% satisfied and I hope that after a few corrections it will look better.

View attachment 388457

View attachment 388458

View attachment 388459

View attachment 388460
you have done wonderful work my friend

This part I have to make on my ship to. Thinking about it keeps me sometimes awake. About how to handle the construction. I like your idea of the support. So I will not sleep again a few days :p thinking how I transfer this to my build.
Nice work Tobias.

Very good carpenters work! Gute Zimmermannsarbeit!
One question to your "support-board": It is a streight plywood board, but the stern structure elements are in a bow, so this board is supporting only the center area. Did you add on the sides some distancers or how you made it ? Hope you understand my question.....
eZy Watermark_03-08-2023_07-37-39-3460PM.jpeg

@Olivers Historic Shipyard
@dockattner
@shota70
@Mirek
@Steef66
@Uwek

Thanks for your comments and likes, much appreciated.

Hello Uwe very good advice. Sorry I didn't show a picture of it. Uwe is absolutely right, it is bent and we can see an offset of 1mm in the longitudinal section.

841F530D-5E84-4D4B-A72D-F145116E943C.jpeg

In the following picture I have marked the lower spacers with red arrows and the green arrows for the upper ones, which unfortunately cannot be seen.

DFAEF197-0075-4726-8C63-A59EB7F23C7F.jpeg

@Olivers Historic Shipyard
@dockattner
@shota70
@Mirek
@Steef66
@Uwek

Thanks for your comments and likes, much appreciated.

Hello Uwe very good advice. Sorry I didn't show a picture of it. Uwe is absolutely right, it is bent and we can see an offset of 1mm in the longitudinal section.

View attachment 388501

In the following picture I have marked the lower spacers with red arrows and the green arrows for the upper ones, which unfortunately cannot be seen.

View attachment 388502
Beautiful worl, as always !

@Steef66
@RDN1954
I hope you get enough sleep;)
@Corsair Thank you.

I already know that I will give Johan and Stephan sleepless nights with my decision, sorry guys. The fact is, I already mentioned in the previous post that I'm not 100% satisfied. In the days that followed, I was just too … well, actually, I'm no longer satisfied, so I've made my decision, it's going to be rebuilt. What brought me to this decision, it's all kind of wrong no matter where I look.

eZy Watermark_06-08-2023_10-09-34-1750PM.jpeg

All this annoyed me a bit and I made a sample regarding the caulking between the planks (from left to right black, red-brown and brown)

eZy Watermark_06-08-2023_11-17-48-1160PM.jpeg

I also bought a drawing plate in which I can produce square wire. Some time ago Uwe asked where I got the wire from, as I told you you can order it from Amazon, but only 0.6mm and 0.8mm. But I need 0.45mm, with this drawing plate I can produce 0.25mm - 2mm wire.

eZy Watermark_10-08-2023_08-21-16-3710PM.jpeg

Here's a little sample.

eZy Watermark_10-08-2023_08-19-49-5050PM.jpeg

I shouldn't be reading this, just before going to bed. Sick
But quite frankly, I understand why you'll be redoing the transom; if you're not satisfied with what you see, there's only one option. Good luck!

I like the softer toned chaulking best, the red-brown slightly favored.

@Steef66
@RDN1954
I hope you get enough sleep;)
@Corsair Thank you.

I already know that I will give Johan and Stephan sleepless nights with my decision, sorry guys. The fact is, I already mentioned in the previous post that I'm not 100% satisfied. In the days that followed, I was just too … well, actually, I'm no longer satisfied, so I've made my decision, it's going to be rebuilt. What brought me to this decision, it's all kind of wrong no matter where I look.

View attachment 388940

All this annoyed me a bit and I made a sample regarding the caulking between the planks (from left to right black, red-brown and brown)

View attachment 388941

I also bought a drawing plate in which I can produce square wire. Some time ago Uwe asked where I got the wire from, as I told you you can order it from Amazon, but only 0.6mm and 0.8mm. But I need 0.45mm, with this drawing plate I can produce 0.25mm - 2mm wire.

View attachment 388943

Here's a little sample.

View attachment 388942
my dear friend
I salute you for striving for excellence and accuracy.Okay

I'm just asking about the board for creating square threads, isn't it easier to buy them ready made, available from aliexpress in different thicknesses.

my dear friend
I salute you for striving for excellence and accuracy.Okay

I'm just asking about the board for creating square threads, isn't it easier to buy them ready made, available from aliexpress in different thicknesses.
Hello Shota, yes you are right, you can buy them on Ali Express. The problem I had was that the 0.4mm wire could not be delivered to my country. Why and why, I can't say, the one with 0.6mm would have been sent to me, for example.

Wow, what a coincidence. I was looking at my transom today and one and other thing did not please me. The hull planks don't connect nicely. The transom chamfered a little too much. But after long hesitation decided not to renew it but to fill it up. Because it is not visible in the end result. Handsome and admirable to decide at this stage to make it again.

Hello Shota, yes you are right, you can buy them on Ali Express. The problem I had was that the 0.4mm wire could not be delivered to my country. Why and why, I can't say, the one with 0.6mm would have been sent to me, for example.
I'm hope that we will meet again at the conference in Germany or on October 24 in France, remind me and I will be happy to bring you a gift

Are you sure, that the old shipwrights made everything vertical and in correct 90° angles - I am pretty sure - NOT
But I understand you - if you do not like it, do it once more - the big advantage of scratch building

The square Zieheisen is interesting, but I guess it is for juweliers and not for modelers, so it is pressing together the metal wire and not cutting f.e. wood
But interesting - where did you order it?

and the question related to the caulking . is it paper, paint or coloured glue? Defintely very fine and accurate line

Are you sure, that the old shipwrights made everything vertical and in correct 90° angles - I am pretty sure - NOT
But I understand you - if you do not like it, do it once more - the big advantage of scratch building

The square Zieheisen is interesting, but I guess it is for juweliers and not for modelers, so it is pressing together the metal wire and not cutting f.e. wood
But interesting - where did you order it?

and the question related to the caulking . is it paper, paint or coloured glue? Defintely very fine and accurate line
Hello Uwe,
yes you are certainly right as far as the alignment is concerned. but it's not just about the right angle, it's also the "window sills" that don't fit on the starboard side I would get a kink in the planking because it's about 5mm missing the middle bar of the rudder bushing doesn't sit properly and there are still a lot of little things which are too many in total. It's annoying to build everything from scratch, because it was more than 12 hours of work. Of course I can somehow hide everything under the floorboards, but that's not the point and it will catch up with you during the construction. Yes, the drawing plate is only suitable for jewelers and is therefore suitable for wire and not for wood. I ordered this target plate from Horst zu Jeddeloh GmbH (www.zujeddeloh.de) Juwelierbedarf. For caulking I use tissue paper that I have already used at Le Rochefort.

I wish you luck (and skill) enhanced by experience on the remake. I have a part of my wing transom that is not quite right but lack your courage for the rebuild (plus, I don't have boxwood in the necessary dimension unless I glue up pieces). I always respect your work, Tobias. I envy that you can look at parts and see how they can be machined - and I look at my machines and wonder what they are for ROTF.

Witaj
Tobiaszu jeśli jesteś niezadowolony z prac na rufie to zrób ją od nowa nieważne ile godzin spędziłeś przy pracy jak duży był to wysiłek .Później będziesz tylko zły sam na siebie że nie spróbowałeś. Wiem że podejmiesz najwłaściwszą decyzję . Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hi
Tobias, if you are dissatisfied with the work in the back, do it again, no matter how many hours you put in, how much effort it took. Later you'll only be mad at yourself for not trying. I know you will make the right decision. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hope that we will meet again at the conference in Germany or on October 24 in France, remind me and I will be happy to bring you a gift
Hi Shota,
sorry I didn't answer you right away. I would be very happy to see you again next year in October. I managed to persuade my wife to spend a long weekend at Lake Geneva, La Palme will be there.

Back