POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

I like your model very much .... I am looking forward to see the original during our meeting in May (I think)

Hello Uwe, thank you very much. You probably won't be able to see it until October, as the meeting in Augsburg falls exactly on my birthday this year and I probably won't be there.

Witaj
Detal pięknie wykonany zgadzam się z Johanem ,ale również deskowanie, kwadratowe kołkowanie robią wrażenie . Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Detail beautifully done I agree with Johan , but also the planking , square pegging are impressive . Greetings Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear friends,
I've been a little slowed down the last week, I've been confined to bed because of the flu, but I haven't been completely idle. For the last 2 days I've been thinking about the rear.
Some of you may be wondering why you need to think about this. I would like to shed some light on this. G. Delacroix's monograph L'Amarante 1747 also contains the sketches of the two sister ships La Palme 1744, the first of the three corvettes and L'Anemone 1747.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

My Decision for building La Palme were as follows:

- I don't know the La Palm's protocol.
- I liked the rear, more windows.
- Historical background
As far as I could find out, their first area of operation was the English Channel and the North Sea. Traveling in the West Indies in 1748 and under the command of Suffren (aged 16)

Since I'm coming back soon, I was able to use the time in bed to do a little research and talk to G. Delacroix.
The first problem to solve:

-Part of the trompe l'oeil style decoration

Since I plan to do the back area in black, it will be difficult to draw it, so I will try to depict it in different woods, I hope it works and gives the right effect.
Two images of what I mean, outlined in red.
eZy Watermark_27-01-2024_05-47-39-8500PM.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg
Image source: Marine & Modelisme D'Arsenal, Daniel11

The next problem that arises is the five windows, with the outer and middle windows being dummy windows.
Some time ago I received a better drawing from Bernard @Huc Bernard , which I have to use as a reference since only those of L'Amarante are shown to scale in the monograph.

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1137.jpeg

As you can see from a direct comparison of the drawings and the monograph, the proportions are not quite right; it looks a bit squashed and wide.
I made a first draft and sent it to GD, but a few changes about 5mm wider on each side would have resulted, which also means changing the side wood.

IMG_6865.jpeg

That would have been the first draft

eZy Watermark_26-01-2024_05-45-54-6410PM.jpeg

GD's answer

Hello,
it is more complicated than it seems because it is difficult to adapt a decor that is a project to the reality of a hull.
In your drawing you need to reduce the width of the windows, tilt the side pilasters and adjust the volumes, especially upwards.

So today I went to the drawing table again and made the following sketch and GD approved it without going into details. Well okay, it's not special but you can work with it.

eZy Watermark_27-01-2024_05-47-39-8500PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_27-01-2024_05-49-18-8320PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Dear Tobias
First I wish you a speedy and full recovery, it's our luck that sometimes you get sick, good things come out of it ;):DROTF
And now seriously, I salute you for the thorough research that contributes to all of us! well done my friend

Interesting interpretation of the stern.
I can imagine, that the center window is a fake window and not out of glass, because directly behind the glas was the rudder shaft, so a window would be useless.

Interesting interpretation of the stern.
I can imagine, that the center window is a fake window and not out of glass, because directly behind the glas was the rudder shaft, so a window would be useless.
Uwe, absolutely correct, the middle and both outer windows are so-called false windows.

@dockattner @OlivierF @shota70 @RogerD
Thanks guys for your recovery wishes, I'm already relatively fit again.,

Last edited:
Dear Tobias. L'Amarante is truly a beautiful ship - I understand your decision to build her, perfectly well.

As to the quality of your build, may I please quote our friend, @dockattner Paul:

"Quite simply one of the finest scratch builds on the forum. My utmost respect Tobias."

Ditto my friend, ditto ...

Dear Tobias. L'Amarante is truly a beautiful ship - I understand your decision to build her, perfectly well.

As to the quality of your build, may I please quote our friend, @dockattner Paul:

"Quite simply one of the finest scratch builds on the forum. My utmost respect Tobias."

Ditto my friend, ditto ...

Heinrich, thank you for your compliment, it makes me blush, thank you very much.

Witaj
Wracaj szybko Tobiaszu do zdrowia a z tą rufą to trochę zabawy będziesz miał ale jesteś doświadczonym modelarzem i na pewno sobie poradzisz. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Get back to health quickly Tobias and with this stern you will have some fun but you are an experienced modeler and you will surely manage. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening everyone, @Mirek thank you again, I'm fit again.

The port side is also finished and I'm starting to build up the stern. First I had to remove the upper cross strut above the windows again because it was too low on the port side.

eZy Watermark_03-02-2024_05-58-10-2550PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_03-02-2024_07-46-54-0580PM.jpeg

In the next step, I made the side-mounted timbers, which I made from one piece. After sanding, they were adjusted and provisionally attached. To see how it fits, I made a small strip to hold the position.

eZy Watermark_28-01-2024_02-39-45-9910PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_03-02-2024_11-53-10-2700AM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_03-02-2024_11-54-01-5700AM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_03-02-2024_11-54-52-3510AM.jpeg

In the next few days, the rear will be finished with the lower crosspieces, the window sills and the upper window frames. I placed a small order for the cladding with Vahur at the beginning of January, which should arrive next week.

Back