POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

Good evening dear model building colleagues, thank you for your kind words @Heinrich @RogerD @Uwek @Bryian @Jimsky @dockattner .

In the plans you can only guess whether the iron brackets are attached with rivet bolts or screws. I decided to equip it with screws, using brass nuts with size M0.6 i.e. tiny, mega tiny.

View attachment 427045

View attachment 427047

View attachment 427046

The bulkhead has now been installed.
That looks very nice, Tobias. A good choice to use the bolts with nuts. The wood parts on a ship are always working. By tightening the nuts they were able to tighten the connections again. Rivet bolts are more for steel constructions.
Regards, Peter

Those are so neat, Tobias and like Peter said, doing it this way also increases the strength of the whole construction - a certain bonus in my book!

Good evening dear model building colleagues, thank you for your kind words @Heinrich @RogerD @Uwek @Bryian @Jimsky @dockattner .

In the plans you can only guess whether the iron brackets are attached with rivet bolts or screws. I decided to equip it with screws, using brass nuts with size M0.6 i.e. tiny, mega tiny.

View attachment 427045

View attachment 427047

View attachment 427046

The bulkhead has now been installed.
Hi Tobia, allow me to post the steps for attaching the brackets of the beams. "Beam arms. - The vertical branches are fastened to the broadside with five pins confined in the outer planking and keyed to rosettes on the boom;II horizontal branch is fastened to the beam with five pins arranged in a lozenge shape and keyed to the opposite face of the beam. The ends of the branches receive two pins. The few arms of the corvetetta are fastened in the same way , but with four pins only; the horizontal armrest between the last two beams of the seeondo ponte is fastened with two nails driven into the end of each branch, and with four pins which, as far as the broadside branch is concerned, are confiscated from the exterior, and for the other, in the same way as the horizontal branch of the ordinary arms of the beams." Frank

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

mmm.jpg

Hi Tobia, allow me to post the steps for attaching the brackets of the beams. "Beam arms. - The vertical branches are fastened to the broadside with five pins confined in the outer planking and keyed to rosettes on the boom;II horizontal branch is fastened to the beam with five pins arranged in a lozenge shape and keyed to the opposite face of the beam. The ends of the branches receive two pins. The few arms of the corvetetta are fastened in the same way , but with four pins only; the horizontal armrest between the last two beams of the seeondo ponte is fastened with two nails driven into the end of each branch, and with four pins which, as far as the broadside branch is concerned, are confiscated from the exterior, and for the other, in the same way as the horizontal branch of the ordinary arms of the beams." Frank

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

View attachment 427137
That is a superb illustration, Frank. Does this reference apply to French ships as well?

Hi Henry , yes this is the French system.Frank

Hello Frank, I'm not sure but I think your picture isn't a French style of construction, at least not one that I know of. The frames are not connected using this method as far as I know. See red circles

IMG_1479.jpeg

However, I think you are right about the bolts, I suspect that it could be one of bolts 1 or 2. If we look at the magnification of the plan this could be true.

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Frank, I'm not sure but I think your picture isn't a French style of construction, at least not one that I know of. The frames are not connected using this method as far as I know. See red circles

View attachment 427246

However, I think you are right about the bolts, I suspect that it could be one of bolts 1 or 2. If we look at the magnification of the plan this could be true.

View attachment 427247

View attachment 427248

View attachment 427249
Hi Tobia, yes this is French system noted from manuscript of the time, keep in mind that I have nothing to quote on YOUR model .Frank
I just try to give some information but if I bother I just observe only as a non-speaking audience

Last edited:
Hi Tobia, yes this is French system noted from manuscript of the time, keep in mind that I have nothing to quote on YOUR model .Frank
I just try to give some information but if I bother I just observe only as a non-speaking audience

Hello Frank, Interesting which ship is it (name, type) and what time does it come from? So far I have only seen this mortising of the frames on English ships. You know I'm curious and I appreciate your comments.

The second anniversary of La Palme is in the air and I am getting closer to my goal of completing the forward steerage deck construction section. There are still three bars to adjust and install then La Palme will take a longer break and I will devote myself fully to Le Rochefort. The planned break will probably be until the international meeting in Evian in October, or shortly before. Since I am represented with both ships, one should at least look like a ship and of course I would like to bring some momentum back into the Le Rochefort assembly group.

eZy Watermark_13-02-2024_10-26-39-1830PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_13-02-2024_10-29-19-2170PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_13-02-2024_10-30-08-4060PM.jpeg

Witaj
Tobiaszu piękność .Pozdrawiam .Mirek

Hello
Tobiasz, beauty. Best regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very good my friend.
The mast foot has a real interesting and also challenging form - is it made out of 3 parts?

The second anniversary of La Palme is in the air and I am getting closer to my goal of completing the forward steerage deck construction section. There are still three bars to adjust and install then La Palme will take a longer break and I will devote myself fully to Le Rochefort. The planned break will probably be until the international meeting in Evian in October, or shortly before. Since I am represented with both ships, one should at least look like a ship and of course I would like to bring some momentum back into the Le Rochefort assembly group.

View attachment 427879

View attachment 427878

View attachment 427877
Building on 2 models is intensive, Tobias. The installation of the beams looks very good.
The Evian meeting is very interesting, but it’s a long day drive for me. I don't know yet if I will visit. Maybe in combination with a holiday?
Regards, Peter

The Evian meeting is very interesting, but it’s a long day drive for me. I don't know yet if I will visit. Maybe in combination with a holiday?
Regards, Peter
I am traveling also from Vienna - so make a visit of Vienna and I am able to pick you up for Evian ;)
For everybody else, maybe interested take a look here:

On my computer now rather than my phone - changed my like to a love. Those brackets are fabulous! Much lighter than they appeared in post #750 so the scale is just perfect. How fun to build at 1:36! They could be done at a smaller scale but the bolts/nuts win the day and those would be challenging at 1:48 and beyond. Great work Tobias!

@Mirek , @Maksym K , @dockattner Thanks so much.

@Uwek Thank you too, the front mast foot actually consists of three parts, in the picture you can see 2 parts. The corresponding wedge is well stored in a box.

@Peter Voogt thank you for your appreciative words. Building 2 ships at the same time or alternating between them is really a bit of a challenge. It requires a lot of concentration and wasn't actually planned that way. For the meeting in Evian, well I will also combine it with a little short vacation. Arrival on Thursday and departure on Tuesday. It is still unclear whether with or without my wife, depending on how she gets time off. Maybe we'll see each other, it would be nice to get to know you since unfortunately I couldn't be there in Amsterdam.

@AnobiumPunctatum , Christian Thank you too for the words of praise, I think it will definitely work, if not this year in Augsburg, since I can't, then definitely another time.

Hello dear friends,
a big thank you to everyone who has been following my build of La Palme over the last few months, leaving great comments and liking it.

Well, the time has come, the little Corvette is going on a longer break and I'm going to devote myself to Le Rochefort again. Finally, a few pictures, my goal of the construction phase has been achieved, as I had planned.

eZy Watermark_17-02-2024_07-58-18-7000PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_17-02-2024_07-59-39-6330PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_17-02-2024_08-02-44-2240PM.jpeg

The workshop has been tidied up and Le Rochefort is ready on the left.

eZy Watermark_17-02-2024_08-05-43-6840PM.jpeg

Back