Rattlesnake 1/48 - Harold M Hahn

Thank you for your explanation Neptune, what you are saying here is exactly what I needed an answer to, the uncertainty of this topic disappeared in an instant.

Hello Knut, It is nice to see that you are making great progress on your ship, over these long cold winter months. You are sure collecting a lot of very nice modeling tools that will fit in very nicely in your Old Ship Yard. Yes understanding your plans is very important at this stage and I see that you have a lot of great help in doing so, well done.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence, thank you, the construction project is soon ready for construction, while I'm practicing various techniques at Blandford so I'm readying the materials I need for Rattlesnake, now I'm pretty sure I have what I need.
The pictures will come later.

Production of parts for the frames.
I was very surprised at how long time, this work takes, but now the race is on.
I must probably replace many parts along the way, fortunately I have enough materials.
The last picture is the parts of one of the half frames.
half frame (1).jpghalf frame (2).jpghalf frame (3).jpghalf frame (4).jpghalf frame (5).jpghalf frame (6).jpghalf frame (7).jpg
Regards-

Small update.
Now all the parts are finished and adjusted, some of these parts are discarded as I worked with them.
Several parts will probably be discarded as I begin to glue them together.
Finally, I need to make more materials / parts to get to the finish.
d (1).jpgd (2).jpg

Small update.
Now all the parts are finished and adjusted, some of these parts are discarded as I worked with them.
Several parts will probably be discarded as I begin to glue them together.
Finally, I need to make more materials / parts to get to the finish.
View attachment 141357View attachment 141358
Hello Knut. That sure is a nice box of framing blanks, Well Done. Will you be using heavy glass to glue them up much like I did? It sure will be nice to see her come together.
Regards Lawrence

Jim, In this huge process, materials / parts with a bad appearance appear in the garbage bin.
I make new parts when I start finishing the glue, it will certainly show up more parts that I will replace.

Lawrence, yes, I will follow your log for reference.
Greeting-

Production of parts for the frames.
I was very surprised at how long time, this work takes, but now the race is on.
I must probably replace many parts along the way, fortunately I have enough materials.
The last picture is the parts of one of the half frames.
View attachment 139622View attachment 139623View attachment 139624View attachment 139625View attachment 139626View attachment 139627View attachment 139628
Regards-
I like your sanding jigs to keep angles constant. Good idea for future if I need to do something like this.

Dave, the core of birch, it is more yellow / brown, outer part of birch is more white / yellow.

? - To sharpen the angle of the parts in this way, was shown by Dave Stevens, very important for all you should get angle and even joints.

Thanks Lawrence, the next step is to sand all the parts of the joints, not want it to be black stripes there.
This is done continuously as I glue the frames, with all the new clamps I bought.
Regards-

Hello Knut, May I suggest that in sanding your framing blanks to use your miter gage to insure a straight cut. It may seam like a pain in the neck having to change the many angles but it is well worth while. Your new clamps will come in handy.
Regards Lawrence

Back