Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Hi All

After the trials and tribulations of moving house I have finally reached the point when I can think about making some sawdust.A slow plod followed by a big push this Bank Holiday weekend and my workshop is just about there.
Better lighting and more electrical sockets were included in the plan.The bench in the middle is a dedicated build table for Saint Philippe some 2metres long.I will be able to walk round the model rather than have to turn the model round to get to each side.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp50.jpgsp51.jpgsp52.jpg

To carry on where I left off,I milled one of the floor timbers to start making a frame up.The top face was trued up first.I also machined a light ledge as to mark the bevel that would be required.
The piece was then inverted using this milled face as a true guide to mill the rebate to take the third lowest segment of this timber.After gluing the piece in place the notch was milled to fit the keel.
The outer profile is still very much in the rough for the time being

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp53.jpgsp54.jpgsp55.jpgsp56.jpg

Thanks Uwe.Yes the model will be too large to move around,much easier to move myself ROTF
Continuing on the futtocks are assembled on the drawing using Zap 30 minute Epoxy.Cling film is used to stop them sticking to the drawing.I am using Epoxy as it is stronger than wood glue for these end to end joints.This piece needs to be strong enough so I can mill 1.5mm off the top face just leaving the Tenons in place that interlock with the futtocks of the other frame face.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp57.jpgsp58.jpg

I agree Maarten.There isn't a one size fits all when you get into millers.The small bits need the high RPM of the MF70 to work efficiently.Issue with this mill is the largest cutter is 3mm it can accommodate correctly.On this build I could do with a larger cutter for the big surfaces.
Only issue is that my XY table I use is an amalgamation I built from parts from the now discontinued Proxxon pantograph.This gives me a great amount of travel.I really need to go quite a bit bigger in order to equal or better this.Proxxons mill drill combination that uses a 40v separate motor unit is better in that it will take a 6mm cutter and still give 6000rpm.It also allows the head to be tilted also but the xy table has less travel than I have now,albeit using a much higher quality table.

Regards

Nigel

Maarten

This is my first choice but way beyond my budget and Santa's. ROTF Maybe next year.

Kind Regards

Nigel
It is a little bit off-topic - sorry for this - but I just want to mention an alternative to the Proxxon machine would be the Optimum OPTImill MHs

same price level, but I think more possibilities

csm_gyDhIeZp8xxLjApOtt4K75h_zMrVYsprmIlRculnV58__70845c17b8.jpg csm_ZJApHuGOqVRnPTgAnKuBWz4quZVfEPDrrtHoU8L3CNk__659c814d3e.jpg csm_zzobfEO_LQX2P3WOAEwCoLBtfpGvavuz9kilFGOGxBY__d4ae7974a5.jpg

Several german modeling friends have them and are very happy

Thanks Uwe

They look like nice pieces of kit and the range of accessories is vast.Looking at the weights they are perhaps more solidly built than the Proxxon.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Oh Yes - their weight is 90 to 110 kg - so if "you" order one, you should order with delivery on top of the workbench
The Proxxon has "only" 47kg, which is off course also still heavy

With the half frame assembled I epoxy a temporary dowel across the ends to hold things rigid for the next steps.The position of the mortice and tenon joints were marked and then the rebates cut on the miller.
I am notching and epoxying the other frame halves one at a time to the back face of the frame.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp59.jpgsp60.jpgsp61.jpgsp62.jpg

Thankyou Jose.
The mortices are shown on the side plan of the hull framing.These are measured from the keel and drawn onto the frame plan.These give the ends of the mortices on the outside of the frame.They are drawn across the frame tangential to the outside curve.I include a pic of the framing plan to show the positions

Kind Regards

Nigel
sp63.jpg

Back