Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Now here is a sneak preview of some commission work performed for me by our member Kris @SZKUTNIK.I hope he doesn't mind me posting these images.He has produced the figurehead and trailboard carving for me in Pearwood using the CNC mill.I need these parts to finalise assembly of the Prow and taper it's cross section.Because the trailboard carving is slotted into the Prow,it needs fitting so I can fit the upper section.
The carving is made in two halves and these will be glued back to back.
I am thrilled with his work and look forward to seeing them in the flesh when they land in the UK.Looking at these I can see me using his services for a great many more parts for the model.I do plan on doing some of the carvings myself but given the size of this project some help will speed the construction progress a little.Secondly,I doubt a could produce a figurehead as perfect as this one and it really is the centrepiece of the model,if it isn't right it has a big impact on the finished model as a whole.
So thankyou Kris!

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp330.jpgsp331.jpgsp332.jpgsp333.jpg

I totaly agree wit you NIGEL he is doing 2 things for me also a JIG for the Le rochfort, and a set of DECORATIONS FOR MY ARMED LONG BOAT and i am working on something else with KRIS i will be using his services quite a bit and HIGHLY RECOMEND HIM TO ALL MEMBERS THIS IS REALLY NEEDED IN THE HOBBY, he also prvides 3-D modeling so ican visulize what i do not understand KEEP IT COMING KRIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

Lol Kris
I already have a Sovereign to finish albeit a kit bashed example;
I reckon on 10 to 15 years on this build before I could even think of another POF build.I already have numerous monographs to choose from other than Sovereign including Lennox and Sussex.
As for what is next for Saint Philippe,I wait to see your results with the "special" resin casting;)No rush though,I have plenty to do on the modelROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Christian,
Lennox and Sussex would be ambitious group builds,particularly Lennox as all frames would require lofting or CAD model to develop.
Many aspects of McKay's book on Sovereign contradicts all the research I did several years ago.It is a nice book but not sure I would build a model based on it.

Kind Regards

Nigel

As I said earlier,I am building the Bulkhead and Catheads as an assembly.This is due to the Catheads piercing the bulkhead planking below the level of the caprail.
I have spent the weekend fabricating the Catheads from Padauk and some of the details that go on them.The initial cutting was done on the Bandsaw and the milling of the slots done on the MF70 mill.I did not represent the tenoning on the Catheads that wrap around the frames.This would make it impossible to assemble to I want to do it.It will be invisible anyway when the planking goes on.
Banding is in blackened Brass.
The Eyebolts and rings were made from domestic Copper wiring after stripping the insulation.I had a bit of a learning curve.Birchwood Casey brass black did a great job of blackening the Copper but would not touch the lead free soft solder(these rings have nothing fastened to them so didn't Silver Solder)even after 3 goes.I found some Carr's blackener for solder which you use the same as the Casey product and that did the trick.However it removed some of the blackening on the Copper.I repeated the process yet again with the Brass Black.Finally I had something I was happy with.
Going forward,I will blacken the solder THEN the Copper;)
I have the Eyebolts to trim to length a fit,handmade nails to install in the bands and the Sheaves and hardware to turn on the Lathe.Can't do that bit yet as I need to order some brass bar to turn them from.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp334.jpgsp335.jpgsp336.jpgsp337.jpgsp338.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from machining and fitting the Sheaves,the Catheads are now complete.I was pleased that my handmade nails were a snug fit in the holes I drilled.A firm push with the handle of some tweezers got them in place but no need for glue.I have given the Catheads a 50% thinned coat of pure Tung Oil for now.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp339.jpgsp340.jpgsp341.jpgsp342.jpg

Thanks Maarten.I now have "nail nights".When not in the mood for anything else,I sit in the kitchen listening to music and making nailsROTFI make and blacken a batch of about 200 in one sitting.I reckon on about 40,000 fixings on this model so they certainly won't go to waste:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Your wife must be very understanding to do ship modelling stuff in the kitchen Nigel. Great work.

Brian,shhh,I do it when she has gone to bed ;) Seriously though,I used to do almost everything on the kitchen table,now everything else is done in the workshop or hobby room now so I feel she is relieved.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back