Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Hi Brian
Yes I feel it is adequate for my requirements.I had toyed with the Proxxon wood lathe for many years but held off for something that would do everything.After all,you can turn wood on a metal lathe but not metal on a wood lathe.There is an attachment available that clamps into the toolpost and forms a rest so I can turn wood using chisels if I so desire.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hy Nigel I worked through your thread completely - astonishing work you do in a breathtaking scale and brilliant detailing.

I am quite happy about my scale as I am really afraid of the wight of the ships model at the very end and I only lifted the plywood boards for the formers in one bag. I did bought cast-iron angels (XIX.century recasts) for the fixing at the wall... Did you have any chance to move even your formers skeleton without a portal crane running over the shipyard when all formers are fixed on the keel. (... or is your wood so much lighter than my birch plywood?) I am completely not thinking about a completely armed hull model or even a fully rigged model. :oops:

I wondered quite often how big the parts were early. Adding the ruler at your boxwood part was very helpful to get an idea of the dimensions you deal with.

The knowledge of working art is very very interesting and I will stay in here to the very end and a fanatic viewer!

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Thankyou for your kind comments.

Yes the model will be heavy when complete and a two person job to move around(note I say person because my assistant will probably end up being my wifeROTF)
I do not have any plans to rig her and I am sat on the fence regarding arming her.I do plan on competing with the model so some portability is necessary and I probably will have to hire a van for the trip.
Incidentally Birch ply is more dense than Pear but I am in no illusion it will compensate for the fact the model will be huge.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Finally I have something by way of an update.Next six frames are built and preliminary bevelling carried out,all will require the angle increasing when joined together.
Notice that the first frame at the bow is completely double and shaped to fit a notch in the keel.I have made a start on the hawse timbers.The "legs" and pine crosspiece will be cut away when fully assembled.There are around 30 of these timbers so it is going to take a while for the bow to develop.These are tapered in plan forming a series of wedges.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp233.jpgsp234.jpgsp235.jpgsp236.jpg

Thankyou for your kind comments.

Yes the model will be heavy when complete and a two person job to move around(note I say person because my assistant will probably end up being my wifeROTF)
I do not have any plans to rig her and I am sat on the fence regarding arming her.I do plan on competing with the model so some portability is necessary and I probably will have to hire a van for the trip.
Incidentally Birch ply is more dense than Pear but I am in no illusion it will compensate for the fact the model will be huge.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Dig a pont in the garden and arm her you will have less stress with your neighborhood - like 1707 as a floating battery. :D

Your work is really beautiful - I am in love with this / your model Fire

Thanks Uwe.I have questioned my sanity cutting all these mortices but the results are worth it I feel.It is a mammoth task,the 6 frames in the pictures are probably the thick end of 300 hours work from start to finish.I am developing the techniques as I go to speed things up but only by a little.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Small update.
I have continued with the hawse timbers.I am not convinced by the sections on the plan so the remaining timbers will be not shaped on the back and carved out when fully assembled.I have joined the first three frames together.
The inside is still in the rough to some extent and can't be fully faired until the temporary supports are removed.The outside is only roughly shaped.
I haven't documented this stage as I am winging it to an extent due to the drawings.There was a 50% chance this could have ended up in the trash,but hopefully I have got away with it.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp237.jpgsp238.jpgsp239.jpgsp240.jpg

Finally after a Years work(minus a couple of breaks)I have something resembling part of a ship's hull.This equates to about one fifth of the full hull:rolleyes:
All the frames I have made so far are now assembled together.I have not done any further work on gunports as these are angled to follow the hull shape.These will be cut wider and have Padauk inserts fitted to enable notching on the mill.Next up will be to fit the remaining hawse timbers.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp242.jpgsp243.jpgsp244.jpgsp245.jpgsp241.jpg

Finally after a Years work(minus a couple of breaks)I have something resembling part of a ship's hull.This equates to about one fifth of the full hull:rolleyes:
All the frames I have made so far are now assembled together.I have not done any further work on gunports as these are angled to follow the hull shape.These will be cut wider and have Padauk inserts fitted to enable notching on the mill.Next up will be to fit the remaining hawse timbers.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 139047View attachment 139048View attachment 139049View attachment 139050View attachment 139051
This is beyond words. I have never seen such clean and precise work. There must be some magic involved. Thanks for posting and please keep them coming. Joy to watch.

Back