Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>It was good that I decided to remove all the previous work. I almost forgot that I had to do the Ratlines for the Futtock Shrouds. From the Photo, you will see that I mocked up a Yard so that I can determine the proper placement of the leading Futtock Shroud this time. I realize that most will say that the angles are wrong, but I am going by the plans. The other ships have the Top shifted more to the rear which will make the Futtocks fall somewhat striaight down, but on this ship, (I guess due to spanish design or manufacture design), I see that I would have to part way from the original manufactures drawings to so so like other ships, for instance English or otherwise.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds42.jpg
    foremastshrouds42.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 113
  • foremastshrouds43.jpg
    foremastshrouds43.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 112

<t>The latest.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds44.jpg
    foremastshrouds44.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 95

<t>Each Model is Different .It's hard to back up and start over I applaude You for doing it ! It looks much more even now . Makes a huge difference . It's better to have tackled this now than later. Smart Move I Love this Build I've been following it for months it's what keeps me going ! I know you try to keep things simple but this is one tough Rigging job!</t>

<t>It's amazing how much you know about rigging and the way the rigging actually functions. I worked with sail boats and know nothing about the old tall ships rigging. I know a rope is a line and the line you hold on the main mast is called a sheet. Other than that I'm a newbe.</t>

<t>Hi friends - <br/>
I really do appreciate the support - I have a friend that is in the process and is about the same or greater advancement in the same build of the Trinidad and he is encouraging me to re evaluate my Futtock Shrouds due to some misalignment. To be honest - I am really at an impasse. It would take a considerable amount of work and time to completely change and modify ALL of my upper deadeyes to make this change. After pouring over the plans, I have build this ship so far to the "T" and have not departed from it. However, some with more experience than I contest the plans saying that for the most part the rigging plans have some discrepancies. <br/>
I am doing some soul searching and I think that I am going to stay the course even though I am probably risking being the lone ranger in this build and maybe even getting some scorn from the modelers community for making my Futtock Shrouds not correct. <br/>
Only the absolute discriminating historian or expert modeler will recognize this right off the bat. Is this truly a mistake in the plans, or did the Spanish just do something a little differently. Everybody always turns to the so called "english" ships of war and other vessles as a guide - however how did other or when did other countries "copy" the design from other countries. How is it that all ships have the same rigging no matter what. Was their some joint engineering conference amounst all countires that said you shall build your ship based on these parameters. <br/>
I do not know, I have to make a decision to press or or tear apart. I am NOT an expert to question a model manufacture, nor a historian. this is simply not enough information on this ship in particular to make any call on it. So, how does anyone know for sure how it was rigged in the first place? Thanks for any and all advice.</t>

<t>Every Model is Unique and Special and yours is no different . If it was not your build but one of our Model builds what advise would you give us yourself Donnie ?<br/>
However it's your Model so I'll back you whatever you decide . We all can learn from this . Is it a matter of Historic Accuracy or Just a question of doing it correctly or are you just enjoying building a beautiful Ship and sharing it with all us . In the end it's your decision and I'm sure whatever you decide we will all agree on one thing you are building a Beautiful Ship and we all Love watching this Build Log just look at how many people follow this build.</t>

<t>Hi everybody - I really appreciate the support - it is good to come here and not get non-commissioned as a builder. I am keeping things the way they are. By the way Seafever - I do not know everything about rigging. I have a few books that I am referring to and I do not mind letting you all know that these are the ones I refer to. As a matter of fact, I struggle just like everyone else.<br/>
Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson ISBN: 978-1-86176-061-6<br/>
James Lees English ships of war<br/>
Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld ISBN: 1-4027-2186-2</t>

<t>I'm glad to know I'm not alone learning rigging ! I'll have to get those books from Model Expo Thanks Donnie !</t>

<t>I suggest amazon.com as ME does not have all of these.</t>

<t>The Latest. Thank goodness I got through this !</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds46.jpg
    foremastshrouds46.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 134
  • foremastshrouds47.jpg
    foremastshrouds47.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 132
  • foremastshrouds48.jpg
    foremastshrouds48.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 131
  • foremastshrouds49.jpg
    foremastshrouds49.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 124
  • foremastshrouds50.jpg
    foremastshrouds50.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 123
  • foremastshrouds51.jpg
    foremastshrouds51.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 124
  • foremastshrouds52.jpg
    foremastshrouds52.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 121

<t>Nice Job I knew you would get it just a matter of time . Ship really looks good because you take the time to do it right !</t>

<t>That's a beautiful Ship your doing a really professional job . Check Barnes and Nobel online For books they sell them in Like new condition for a lot less money !<br/>
They accept Pay Pal also</t>

<t>Thank you everyone for the kind words. I receive them with much humility. Here are the latest photos. This is demonstrating the "Single" shroud that is necessary on the upper mast.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds53.jpg
    foremastshrouds53.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 100
  • foremastshrouds54.jpg
    foremastshrouds54.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 106
  • foremastshrouds55.jpg
    foremastshrouds55.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 108
  • foremastshrouds56.jpg
    foremastshrouds56.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 108

<t>Again - I don't know why I do this to myself -- Not happy with this either (why I am only posting two images). The lanyards seem to be too short. I will progress with rigging the others and come back to this one later.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds57.jpg
    foremastshrouds57.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 82
  • foremastshrouds58.jpg
    foremastshrouds58.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 81

<t>The space between the deadeyes are 5 times their diameter. Use this figure and you will always know you are right.</t>

<t>Thank you Gary for a quick response - I was just about to go back in the shop and continue.</t>

<t>Nice work Donnie ! It looks very difficult for sure . Your Rigging looks really authentic looking despite all your issues your having all the more for me to leaarn . Thanks for the tip GaryM I will remeber that one !</t>

<t>I think this one I will keep and continue with this "spacing" of the deadeye.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds59.jpg
    foremastshrouds59.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 89
Back