Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>Hey! Donnie !I See your not working on the model ! Busy fixing the forum ? I love the new look. Really nice work! And the Santisima Trinidad Wonderful Model Very Clean and Neat! I have been following this build for 3 months now or should I say 1 and a half. You do amazing work. I am building the Real de France by Corel. I appreciate all you have done here and I posted some photos of my build . You have been a great help to me and I want to just say Thank you!! About the web site. A few problems on the site I noticed. I can't find the videos of the rigging. When I try to post a message on here I get cut off when someone else posts. And have to start writing again. So I copy and paste now so I don't have to re write everything again. I also wanted you to know the font is hard to read on the build logs and the preview link sometimes won't let you back to the previous page and I hope you can fix it! Well keep posting and keep up the high quality builds !</t>

<t>Ohhhh - those videos -- Arg !!! Me not too fond of the videos, but I guess I can stick them back on the SOS-site - I didn't really think anyone was looking at those --</t>

<t>They are well made video's and they really show off the model and your skills . What other web site has video's like that ? Keep it up ! Very helpful !</t>

<t>Well, I am back working on the ST again. It has been a while - like at least two full months before I touch it. I had to get my self all mental for this - drag the books out to see how to rig the lanyards again. As you can see I finally have one side full done for the lower foremast shrouds and lanyards. I have a pair on the opposite side to do. Then I must make a decision to either rig the upper shrouds or mount the Main Mast and begin work on it. The pictures are not the best as I have many light sources bouncing around and did not feel like putting the ship in my photo shot box. So, the images are not that great, but at least put the point across. I know that some will notice the scuff marks on the fore tree section (mast) and I will work on that when the time comes. (can't think of the term exactly for this part).</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds23.jpg
    foremastshrouds23.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 156
  • foremastshrouds24.jpg
    foremastshrouds24.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 157
  • foremastshrouds29.jpg
    foremastshrouds29.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 152
  • foremastshrouds30.jpg
    foremastshrouds30.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 154

<r>I am back at making some more videos which can be found on the SOS main site, however, I thought I would post it here since this deals with my Trinidad. This demonstrates how I seize the Shroud lines.<br/>
<YOUTUBE content="qb-FA3P6PBk"><s>[youtube]</s>qb-FA3P6PBk<e>[/youtube]</e></YOUTUBE></r>

<t>Thanks for the word of confidence ! The latest installment.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds30.jpg
    foremastshrouds30.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 115
  • foremastshrouds31.jpg
    foremastshrouds31.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 113
  • foremastshrouds32.jpg
    foremastshrouds32.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 115
  • foremastshrouds33.jpg
    foremastshrouds33.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 113
  • foremastshrouds34.jpg
    foremastshrouds34.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 115
  • foremastshrouds35.jpg
    foremastshrouds35.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 115

<t>What a beautiful vessel and you should be very pleased with how well you have built her.<br/>
Rick</t>

<t>Hi Rick and others ! Thanks for the compliments. Latest is starting on the Futtock Shrouds alignment.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds36.jpg
    foremastshrouds36.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 138
  • foremastshrouds37.jpg
    foremastshrouds37.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 138

<t>Thank you Seafever. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I decided to remove the Futtock Stave as I felt it was too close to the TOPS. I lowered it about 4mm. Also, the iron bar is slight thicker too. (1.0 mm) Sorry about the change - it had to take place.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds38.jpg
    foremastshrouds38.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 111

<t>Donnie you must have a diagram of the ship rigging you can post . which would help clarify the position .</t>

<t>Seafever - wow - thank you very much !!! <br/>
I looked at those and then after a while I looked again. I think I DO see something here. Thank you for pointing this out to me. <br/>
I think I see what is going on here. It looks like in this model, his "Top" is shifted more so that the mast are centered around the opening of the Top, rather than like mine. Mine, I have the mast about touching the backside of the top. If I were to center my Top Tree then it would shift those upper deadeyes over to the right. Not much. But about 1/4" or better. I need to look into this. I think it might be too late as I would have to pry the top off of the tressel tree and that could get nasty.<br/>
Donnie<br/>
but - the point is that this looks good. However, you know, this is NOT what is on the plans !!!!</t>

<t>I didn't think the model had such detailed rigging work but I must say It looks awesome ! I'm glad it helped . I research and research someone named Donnie taught me that ! I watched your video of the siezing of the line . I was wondering if they used to hang plain white strings on the rigging lines to watch the wind direction ? I thought about this when you mentioned the lines being seized to prevent rubbing against the sails And I know this to be true that is exactly why they did this and some still do . I want to be good at rigging I have a family history of this .My Uncle Leon (Sea Fever ) used to make Sea chest handles and other rigging on real ships . I remember them having stars embeded in them and had leather snow flakes between the knots on the end and the main hoop .He had a Sea chest that was full of ropes he used to keep all his rigging stuff in .He use to sail these old ships out of Massachussettes and Maine I know he sailed the Alice S Wentworth and the Matie . He died on the Matie of a heart attack climbing the rigging lines at Sea in 1963 off Maine .He was quite good and used what looked like old fishing hand lines and very tough rope with whale bone for needles .And all these crazy tools ! I believe my brother has that old sea chest I'll have to ask . Anyways I appreciate your Video's Thanks Again ! l just wanted to know if they used those strings for wind direction .</t>

<r>Wow - what an impressive family history there. Well, if I remember, the sails did or do have those tiny lines coming off of them for what I thought was for wind direction.<br/>
When I got home, I studied my plans again. I built all the mast according to plans. Then I looked at the side profile view of the plans that shows the whole ship rigging and all from the side view. In fact, the rigging does take a backward slant. If they did not then your main yard would not be free to swing as your shrouds would interfere even not allowing the yard to be hoisted up completely. So, the only difference that I can see is that the mast on some ships, are going right up the middle or slightly offset. It is interesting that on the plans (side view) the shrouds take what looks like a direct shot straight in the middle of the mast at the tops. So, then I thought well, they must be running those shrouds BETWEEN the mast which would allow for more "centering". So, <E>:?</E> I got out the manual that has those "barely can make out" the photos of the ship and I had to get a huge mag glass and at least low and behold, I am doing what they did. They are pairing the shrouds on the aft mast like I did. So all of this research I did just carried me back to where I was and just keep on doing what I am doing. I still appreciate all the effort of digging out another Trinidad. You are good at that as I searched the internet from one end to the other and only came up with just a few to look at. <br/>
I think that at best, since we are all working with such a medium that not too (same ships models) are going to look the same no matter what. And another thing that is aggravating is the instructions for the Trinidad (photos) has what looks like two different ships ! They just threw a bunch of photos together instead of having a complete end to end by one person photo instructions.</r>

<t>Starting on the Futtock Shrouds - here Ye here Ye - all rise - to declare mistakes et al !</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds39.jpg
    foremastshrouds39.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 119

<t>That's a huge problem with foriegn ship models they really are difficult to understand . I am more than happy to try to help anyone I can . I have struggled with plans in latin which makes you figure things out on your own by making lots of mistakes .But to have the plans show two different designs that would drive me nuts ! I think your ship model looks better than thiers .Your a lot better than you think ! It's nice that every ship model has it's own character . I remember the difference between sailing a wooden sail boat and a fiberglass one . You can hear the wood creeking and feel like your part of the boat in a wooden one . Maybe yo can design a page for translating those plans . I know google as a translater .</t>

<t>I am not too happy with this result of the Futtocks. But, here it is anyway.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds40.jpg
    foremastshrouds40.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 121
  • foremastshrouds41.jpg
    foremastshrouds41.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 121

<t>Looks Great! I agree there is something about the spacing that seems to be a little off . I'm sure you'll figure it out and fix it . But It looks very real. Can't wait to see more rigging work! I noticed a Split ring looks like it is bent partially open on one of the Lines. Maybe the photo angle.</t>

<t>Well, guys and gals. What you see is all GONE - didn't like it and besides - it was not going to work. The leading edge of the Futtocks was going to interfere terribly bad with the yard.</t>

Back