Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<r><QUOTE author="Donnie"><s>
Donnie said:
</s>Did a quick search.<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://www.jewelrytools.com/eurotool/additional-bench-tools/Natural-Beeswax-1-Ounce.html"><s></s><LINK_TEXT text="http://www.jew...s/Natural-Beeswax-1-Ounce.html</LINK_TEXT><e></e></URL><e>
</e></QUOTE>Glad to be of help. You got the same wax I too have used for many projects, but as you have pointed, it dries out in that round plactic container. If you ever get to play w/honey bees, you see 1st hand just how soft and workable the wax is, not all like the stuff I was use too that I purchased from a Fabric Store.<br/>
The stuff in the plastic tube is 100% pure, no bleach and is as close to the real deal as one is going to get. Get you some and I promise, you will not run anymore line thru a slot to deposit that dried out wax.<br/>
As for the CA, great to use for many app's, and we modelers have done just that, but the stuff that makes CA up, has some nasty habits, eating fibers is one of them. I learned this awhile back and ever since I no longer use on rigging, I have used Duco, Model Airplane Glue, rubber cement and of course CA, but none do the job of Gum Aribic and or my fav of all CS Cement which makes a glue just for fabric. Give this one a try, but beware, the stuff is stringy. But w/care, you will learn how to apply and once it sets, it is there and the knot will have too be cut out to come apart.<br/>
All of the stuff I posted photos of can be purchased thru ModelExpo.com<br/>
Rick</r>

<r><QUOTE author="Sjors55"><s>
Sjors55 said:
</s>Forgive me that I break in but are you guys talking about glue for the knots on the rigging?<br/>
The only thing I use are UHU glue. You know what that is?<e>
</e></QUOTE>Sjors, which UHU glue do you use.</r>

<t>Donnie, you mentioned in the posting about Polyester thread being hard to work with after I guess if I am right, you have ran thru the wax block.<br/>
ModelExpo sells a Waxed "Fly Tying" Poly thread .8mm and .13mm.<br/>
This is what I use. One of the neat things about poly thread, you can purchase a tool that heats up and cuts/melts the end of the thread, and creates a little blob that w/glue, will never come loose!<br/>
But as you stated, we all have our fav flavors, and I do believe if it works for you, then keep using it!<br/>
BTW Gum Arabic glue can be had from Amazon.com.<br/>
Rick</t>

<t>Well,<br/>
for some reason, I have gotten into a rut again. I go through this from time to time. I cannot get back the ship. In the meantime, I have focused a lot of energy on this forum (behind the scenes) trying to make the forum perform best for all. <br/>
I have also put a lot of energy into the SOS site as there were a lot of code that I needed to get corrected. I think the SOS home page runs faster - see if you do not agree. <br/>
Now, I need to get back to the ship - but I just cannot get motivated.</t>

<t>But, to be honest, I don't even feel like going into my shop-room.</t>

<t>I think that work just about drains me. Then I feel as if I have to have the weekend to recoup. You have the holidays coming up with distractions of that. I am at the point that the rigging must have 100% of my concentration. I also feel that if I get started, the Admiral will be coming home late from work and that totally destroys my ability to get refocused. Sometimes, I can move on. Sometimes not. When the Admiral is at home, she has a way of Commandeering my time. I honestly do not know how that happens, but it does. <br/>
<br/>
BTW- my wife is a Filipino.</t>

<t>Finally getting around after about of month to rigging some more lanyards, etc.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds19.jpg
    foremastshrouds19.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 130

<t>OK, back in the saddle again..........<br/>
Merry Christmas My Friend, May your New Year be a Blessed on.<br/>
<br/>
Rick</t>

<t>This is taken with my new Camera I got for Christmas. It is a Canon T3i. Manual shutter and aperture for a very long depth of field. This is just something that you cannot do with a point and shoot. Not that there is anything wrong with a PAS, I just favor this due to having more control. Also, light is VERY important. I took the time to display it in my shotbox. Decided to do some eye candy for a full view. It has been a while since she has been taken a picture of fully dressed (up to a point). The long DOF gives you focus from front of image all the way back. I think I could have done a little better with a tripod and a few more adjustments.</t>

Attachments

• fullview13.jpg
    fullview13.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 133

<t>My 2 fav hobbies: Ship Models and Photography, the two are made for each other. Nice photo, even better model.<br/>
Rick</t>

<t>Sample image of Shrouds over the trees (layered) or alternating.</t>

Attachments

• foremastshrouds21.jpg
    foremastshrouds21.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 119

<t>Rick,<br/>
what I meant by alternating is that the very first shroud (pair) wraps around the mast and ties off on the deadeyes on the Starboard side. Then you prepare another pair that will wrap around the mast and slip down on top of the first one. This time (the second) one will go to the port side. Since I have an even number of Deadeyes, then all shrouds will be in pairs. I would like to either make a video or break the process down, but it takes a solid hour of some serious concentration to make one pair of shrouds - rig the deadeye, and then rig the lanyard for the pair. <br/>
ps. in most cases both pairs take the same path on one side of ship. In some cases the pair will split with a single line to port and the other single line to starboard. I think in this case is when you have an odd number of deadeyes like:<br/>
O O O O O<br/>
The last one obviously has to be a single shroud, and since this is mirrored on the other side, you will run a single on each side. I hope this makes sense. Below would be the detail plan looking down:<br/>
O O O O O<br/>
O O O O O</t>

Donnie said:
</s>Rick,<br/>
what I meant by alternating is that the very first shroud (pair) wraps around the mast and ties off on the deadeyes on the Starboard side.<br/>
Then you prepare another pair that will wrap around the mast and slip down on top of the first one. This time (the second) one will go to the port side.<br/>
<br/>
Since I have an even number of Deadeyes, then all shrouds will be in pairs. <br/>
<br/>
I would like to either make a video or break the process down, but it takes a solid hour of some serious concentration to make one pair of shrouds - rig the deadeye, and then rig the lanyard for the pair.<br/>
<br/>
ps. in most cases both pairs take the same path on one side of ship. In some cases the pair will split with a single line to port and the other single line to starboard. I think in this case is when you have an odd number of deadeyes like:<br/>
O O O O O<br/>
<br/>
The last one obviously has to be a single shroud, and since this is mirrored on the other side, you will run a single on each side. I hope this makes sense. Below would be the detail plan looking down:<br/>
<br/>
O O O O O<br/>
<br/>
O O O O O<br/>
<br/>
Donnie<e>
</e></QUOTE>
Oh Ta, thats what I thought I was answering, sorry if I implied anything else?</r>

<t>ok guys - me konfused !!</t>

Donnie said:
</s>ok guys - me konfused !! <e>
</e></QUOTE>I believe I am the one that's confusing. I went back and re-read your post with the question of "alternate shroud", and I believe I misunderstood what you were asking. I also looked hard @ the dia. you added in another post. So I went to my trusty copy of Rigging Period Ship Models, Lennarth Petersson, to see if I could better understand your question. What I found was this, depending on number of shroud lines per side f/vessel, for this example 8 lines per side.<br/>
1st pair, line is looped/siezed around the mast and the lines are attached to the 1st 2 pairs of deadeyes on the right side of the ship. 2nd pair, the same a above, but attached to the 1st 2 pairs of dedeyes on the left side of the ship. Now the looped shroud lines are stacked right to left, ea. atop the other. Odd numbers 1,3,5&7 right, even 2,4,6&8 left. And to me and from the photo, looks to be what you did! I will phatom a guess, I confussed you.<br/>
Rick</r>

<t>Thanks Rick - your fine. Trying to explain the process WITHOUT images is difficult. I am not cross-eyed, but my neck hurts and my butt hurts from sitting in an awkward position. I think I got ship rash !! (I bet you can't say that 10 times in a row without sounding like an idiot)<br/>
shipwreck - shiprash <br/>
hey I think I created a new nautical term.</t>

<t>Hi Donnie,<br/>
Man! Finally got thru all those pages on MSW on your build. Incredible. And what an informitive build log it is to. Stunning modeling skills Sir....<br/>
cheers Mario</t>

<t>thank you Mario.<br/>
<br/>
I have not touched the Trinidad in almost 3 weeks. Got some heavy distractions going on at the Helm right now.</t>

<t>It now has been about two months since I have touched the ST. I have been working on rewriting all the program code on my SOS website just about everynight spending about 2 or more hours on it for the past few months. Almost finished.<br/>
Learned a new programming language to help things go better and look better ( I hope). About a few more days I plan to release it.</t>

Back