Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller 26" [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good Morning Glenn. Awesome job, tapering, beveling and twisting thus far. I personally would go Bluebeards method, takes the risk out of those blade slips...I made those on way simpler tasks. Which ever way you are going you are achieving an awesome result. Cheers.
I am using the same method as Bluebeard, sanding the bevel prior to installing the plank.

My problem with the blade method is that I often fail to read the grain properly and the cut will follow the grain rather than where I need it to go.

Thank you for the kind words Grant!

Glenn, are you saying you sand to bevel the strakes that are already glued in instead of the ones you are laying down?
No. I was explaining that Scott discusses two different methods of beveling the planks. One is sand the plank before installing it. The other is to bevel the plank that is already installed with a scalpel or Xacto.

I am using the same method as Bluebeard, sanding the bevel prior to installing the plank.

My problem with the blade method is that I often fail to read the grain properly and the cut will follow the grain rather than where I need it to go.

Thank you for the kind words Grant!
One idea is to try scraping instead of cutting so that the blade does not dive down with the grain. Just a thought as speed of the preparation is not a goal but an objective subject to conditions of the wood and tool being used. Rich (PT-2)

Great build Glen. You are doing a nice job of explaining everything, I will watch your build with interest.

One idea is to try scraping instead of cutting so that the blade does not dive down with the grain. Just a thought as speed of the preparation is not a goal but an objective subject to conditions of the wood and tool being used. Rich (PT-2)
This is a great suggestion Rich. I may give it a try. It also gives me another idea-use a jewelers file or riffler, fewer blade changes;)

Great build Glen. You are doing a nice job of explaining everything, I will watch your build with interest.
Thank you for the kind encouraging words @Hammer they help motivate me!

Glenn

Just a quick update to let all know I'm still working on this. I've got a few more planks on it but no pics at the moment. This week I've averaged a plank an evening after work.

This past weekend was spent putting roll roofing on the flat roof of my storage shed. Spent some quality time with my 12 year old son applying tar and generally making a mess. Thank goodness for the cold applied tar now available, glad I didn't have to heat it.

I'll get some pics up this weekend.

Glenn

Almost there Glenn! It is great to see another update.
NICE Glenn!
Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement.

That pic was taken this morning, the next plank will be the Whiskey Plank. Here are a few pics taken earlier at the beginning of this past weekend.

20220115_145658.jpg

20220115_145712-jpg.283555

Thank you everyone for all of the views and likes. Keep the comments coming.

Glenn

Attachments

• 20220115_145712.jpg
    20220115_145712.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 103
Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement.

That pic was taken this morning, the next plank will be the Whiskey Plank. Here are a few pics taken earlier at the beginning of this past weekend.

View attachment 283554

20220115_145712-jpg.283555

Thank you everyone for all of the views and likes. Keep the comments coming.

Glenn
I'm curious. . . these F-Clamps look like an expanding type and not compressive closing. Is that right or do you have a way to reverse the action on a typical F-Clamp???? Rich (PT-2)

I'm curious. . . these F-Clamps look like an expanding type and not compressive closing. Is that right or do you have a way to reverse the action on a typical F-Clamp???? Rich (PT-2)
The clamps are reversible. I have 3 different brands and the are all capable of being reversed. These shown are from Harbor Freight. I did have to file off the burrs on the very end of the bar to reassemble them when reversing.

Glenn

The clamps are reversible. I have 3 different brands and the are all capable of being reversed. These shown are from Harbor Freight. I did have to file off the burrs on the very end of the bar to reassemble them when reversing.

Glenn
Thanks for the tip on how to revise the clamp. Mine will have to be warned of pending invasive alterations. Rich :eek:

Finished planking. Used razor flushcut saw to remove from strongback. Came off easily, the packing tape worked great as there were places the squeezeout should have glued the two together.
20220119_170427.jpg

There is a lot of glue squeezeout to be cleaned.
20220119_170445.jpg

I will sand the interior smooth and add the frames prior to sanding the exterior. The hull feels surprisingly solid. I see a lot of mohagony sanding dust in my near future...

Thanks for looking,
Glenn

Back