Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller 26" [COMPLETED BUILD]

Learned a few things about working with the Mohagony supplied in this kit.

Dry, it's brittle. It will bend a little bit but likely to crack or snap.

Bending it dry with heat works but I didn't like this method.

Wetting it for a few minutes then using heat was better for me as the plank would begin to bend just as the water evaporated giving a visual clue.

Soaking for an extended time, at least a few hours to overnight,gave good results. Would bend easily with heat.
20220129_173020.jpg

The best results were to soak an extended period of time, then bend entire plank with heat as shown above. Next soak again, 15-30 minutes. The plank was then very flexible if worked slowly. Tighter bends could be accomplished by repeatedly soaking and using heat. The iron I'm using is at 325-350°F.

Glenn

I agree with @PT-2 Rich. If you have found a method that works, wonderful. The fact that it may take some time is neither here nor there. I would rather have a time-consuming solution than a quick "hope" that something might work.

lo mejor que probé para curvar la madera, es el vapor caliente con la madera expuesta a curvatura, por ejemplo metiendo la pieza a curvar en una bolsa de plastico por donde se mete el vapor con salida por el contrario.
s la curvatura es muy grande se pueden aplicar varios procesos similares repetidos.
para biselar largueros a cuchilla, es mas delicado, pero si se hace, es imprescindible tener en cuenta el vetado de la madera, ya que este puede desviar el corte, y que este sigue la direccion de la veta.
existe una alternativa al corte, que es el raspado, es parecido al lijado, pero con cuchilla perpendicular al larguero

What a wonderful and refreshing build. Some perfect woodworking you show us here.
A very interesting kit this is, a joy to watch.

This is great work Glenn - you must be super-chuffed!

What a wonderful and refreshing build. Some perfect woodworking you show us here.
A very interesting kit this is, a joy to watch.
Thank you for this high praise Maarten!

This is great work Glenn - you must be super-chuffed!
Yes I am chuffed!

Your long nose clamps save finger clamps and free up the same fingers for good photos of your work which is setting the bar, for my far in your wake Phoenecin trade ship from scratch, to attempt to emulate. RIch (PT-20
Thank you Rich, I am looking forward to your log!
Good morning Glenn- That is a Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt frame(my favorite whiskey;)). Excellent.
While I've never had the pleasure of tasting Dalwhinnie, I can say I've never met a single malt I didn't like! Must be wonderful! Thank you Grant!

Glenn

Awwww _ _ _ _!!! $#!7

Had a clumsy moment and sent the boat sailing off my little workbench onto the tile floor :eek:

Glue joints on both end stems came loose but the frames held everything else together.

20220202_185501.jpg

20220202_185513.jpg

20220202_185540.jpg

20220202_185554.jpg

Fortunately the frames helped keep it all together between the stems. Looks like some glue, clamps and time will have it all good to go.

Glenn

Yikes, that is a modellers nightmare, mine I mean. So this reinforces your carpentry/modelling skills - it mostly held together and can be fixed. Phew.

Awwww _ _ _ _!!! $#!7

Had a clumsy moment and sent the boat sailing off my little workbench onto the tile floor :eek:

Glue joints on both end stems came loose but the frames held everything else together.

View attachment 288306

View attachment 288307

View attachment 288311

View attachment 288312

Fortunately the frames helped keep it all together between the stems. Looks like some glue, clamps and time will have it all good to go.

Glenn
Hi Gastan, in my opinion, if you would have made the joke this break did not happen but, as far as I know, the planking is not resting on the keel (bow and stern)

Oooh s***! That is something that I have never done - YET - (touch wood), but I also am also enough of a realist to realize that it can happen at any moment. Thank heavens it happened now before any ancillaries were attached. The other good thing is that if that joint came undone now, it was probably somewhat suspect from the beginning.

Thank you for this high praise Maarten!

Yes I am chuffed!

Thank you Rich, I am looking forward to your log!

While I've never had the pleasure of tasting Dalwhinnie, I can say I've never met a single malt I didn't like! Must be wonderful! Thank you Grant!

Glenn
@GAStan don't expect to much from my very slowly progressing build loge for the Phoenecian trade ship as it was and is no kit but inseminated by drawings that I had to produce before being able to make any bulkheads forming a mold for the hull. You can watch the slowly emerging log and be grateful to have an actual kit to build with. For me this time around I have to continually find the hobby rewards in my own two step forward and back and often more back that forward again. Rich (PT-2)

Awwww _ _ _ _!!! $#!7

View attachment 288306

View attachment 288307

View attachment 288311

View attachment 288312

Glenn
Sorry to see you need to make repairs, but as you know it should be no problem, especially at this stage in the build. She is looking very good! This is a small bump in the road of progress. ;)

Back