Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller 26" [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Gastan, in my opinion, if you would have made the joke this break did not happen but, as far as I know, the planking is not resting on the keel (bow and stern)
Frank, thank you for commenting. Unfortunately I don't think Google Translate is working very well because I do not understand what you mean.

Glenn

Oooh s***! That is something that I have never done - YET - (touch wood), but I also am also enough of a realist to realize that it can happen at any moment. Thank heavens it happened now before any ancillaries were attached. The other good thing is that if that joint came undone now, it was probably somewhat suspect from the beginning.
Let's hope you never experience this!

As they say, timing is everything.

I agree about suspecting the joint. It came apart on the starboard side of the keel fore and aft. I believe it would have totally separated but for the frames. However I feel the joints are strong enough for a model that isn't intended to go airborne :oops:

Glenn

@GAStan don't expect to much from my very slowly progressing build loge for the Phoenecian trade ship as it was and is no kit but inseminated by drawings that I had to produce before being able to make any bulkheads forming a mold for the hull. You can watch the slowly emerging log and be grateful to have an actual kit to build with. For me this time around I have to continually find the hobby rewards in my own two step forward and back and often more back that forward again. Rich (PT-2)
I am grateful for the kit and good manual it contains.

I hope to advance my skills to the point of scratch building. I have in mind the Egyptian boat they uncovered and have on display at the pyramids. I had the fortune to see it in person in the late '80s.

Glenn

Sorry to see you need to make repairs, but as you know it should be no problem, especially at this stage in the build. She is looking very good! This is a small bump in the road of progress. ;)
Hopefully the biggest bump! Thank you Dean ;)

Glenn

Frank, thank you for commenting. Unfortunately I don't think Google Translate is working very well because I do not understand what you mean.

Glenn
Hi Gastan, in my opinion if you would have made the joke this break did not happen but, as far as I know, the planking is not resting on the keel (bow and stern)

Hi Gastan, in my opinion if you would have made the joke this break did not happen but, as far as I know, the planking is not resting on the keel (bow and stern)
Frank, I did accidently knock my boat off the table. It is not a joke. It did break, and you are correct-the planking separated from the keel at the bow and stern. The glue joints broke. I can and will repair it.

Frank, I did accidently knock my boat off the table. It is not a joke. It did break, and you are correct-the planking separated from the keel at the bow and stern. The glue joints broke. I can and will repair it.
Good evening, Gastan, I am sorry to see all that work gone away but, from Your hands you will solve in the best way, Thanks for answering me

Repairs have been made with good results, that is one cannt tell it was ever damaged.

Work continues, lots of sanding not worthy of photos yet. Very noisy work so I only work on it while the Admiral is out of the house.

Still trying to decide on a finish. I have Danish Oil or Satin polyurethane varnish. My preference is the Danish oil.

In the meantime I have been doing a bit of work on my other build.

Glenn

Repairs have been made with good results, that is one cannt tell it was ever damaged.

Work continues, lots of sanding not worthy of photos yet. Very noisy work so I only work on it while the Admiral is out of the house.

Still trying to decide on a finish. I have Danish Oil or Satin polyurethane varnish. My preference is the Danish oil.

In the meantime I have been doing a bit of work on my other build.

Glenn
Sanding is not only noisey, depending upon what is being used, but most times very messy with all of the fine dust floating in the air without care of where it may land. The noise of the vacuum cleaner afterwards is the toy of enticement for our young Labrador and still acting like a puppy barking at that noisy "toy". Rich

Sanding is not only noisey, depending upon what is being used, but most times very messy with all of the fine dust floating in the air without care of where it may land. The noise of the vacuum cleaner afterwards is the toy of enticement for our young Labrador and still acting like a puppy barking at that noisy "toy". Rich
I'm using my 80# sanding block so the mess stays pretty well confined to the immediate area I'm working in.

The hollow shell of mohagony amplifies the sound so it is quite loud.

We have a cat, she disappears at the first site of the vacuum.

Glenn

I'm using my 80# sanding block so the mess stays pretty well confined to the immediate area I'm working in.

The hollow shell of mohagony amplifies the sound so it is quite loud.

We have a cat, she disappears at the first site of the vacuum.

Glenn
I an still looking forward to begin planking the hull and finding that resonating kettle drum. Rich (PT-2)

Started planking.

First plank is straightforward, lay plank in slots cut in frame, secure with rubber bands. Fit ends to stem and stern, glue and clamp to dry. I did this and the mohagony bent beautifully without water or heat. I used PVA.
View attachment 278660

View attachment 278661

View attachment 278662

Scott recommends using CA on this build, and it makes sense for the method he suggests of placing each plank in place and holding it with clamps as needed, then "welding" it in place with thin CA.

I really do not like CA. I have used it in the past and simply do not like it for building with wood.

My plan is to use PVA. I will need to preshape the planks so it does not take long to clamp them in place once the glue is applied. The climate here is dry and PVA has a tendency to quickly skin over once it is applied to a surface. Actually I think preshaping is a good practice I need to learn, this is the perfect opportunity.

So on that note I believe I will remove the first two planks and preshape some new ones. There are extra planks included in the kit. Preshaping will also decrease the tendency of the boat to deform when it is removed from the strongback.

Thank you for looking,
Glenn
I tried you idea of the drilled holes and short dowels to hold rubber bands on my Phoenecian trade boat but the bulkheads are too close together to be able to use the dowels. The holes will now provide catch points for wire hooks and the bands. Good idea though but not with my bulkhead spacing. Rich

I tried you idea of the drilled holes and short dowels to hold rubber bands on my Phoenecian trade boat but the bulkheads are too close together to be able to use the dowels. The holes will now provide catch points for wire hooks and the bands. Good idea though but not with my bulkhead spacing. Rich
From the photos the original frames Scott provided had notches cut in the lower sides of the frames to hold the rubber bands. Mine didn't have the notches cut, the dowels were an idea I had that just worked for me.

Screenshot_20220209-104854_Drive.jpg

Glenn

Update: I'm still sanding the hull. Because I used PVA and had quite a bit of squeezeout I need to sand it off. I believe if I had used CA as Scott says in the manual I could have left it with the uneven planks, as I believe the original boat would have had.

The process of sanding is very loud so I only work on it while the Admiral is away long enough for me to pull everything out, work on it then clean up. I usually work on it until she gets home then clean up...

So not much to post lately. I'll start posting here again once the sanding is completed and I have something worth posting.

Thank you for visiting my log.
Glenn

Update: I'm still sanding the hull. Because I used PVA and had quite a bit of squeezeout I need to sand it off. I believe if I had used CA as Scott says in the manual I could have left it with the uneven planks, as I believe the original boat would have had.

The process of sanding is very loud so I only work on it while the Admiral is away long enough for me to pull everything out, work on it then clean up. I usually work on it until she gets home then clean up...

So not much to post lately. I'll start posting here again once the sanding is completed and I have something worth posting.

Thank you for visiting my log.
Glenn
Is it so cold in El Paso that you can’t sand outside? It’s been in the 30s in San Antone, but by the time I’m where you are, it should be in the 70s or 80s. Maybe 100s.

Back