Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Now you finally understand the situation of a non native English speaking blog member :)

I looked it up and apparently it is a term from Northern England, so those from down south may not know what I am on aboutROTF

Fettle = tidy up, make good according to the Yorkshire dictionary;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have progressed the next layer of planking as far as to the point of running out of 5 x 2mm lime strips.I have used 100 lengths so far and have just ordered another 20 from CMB to complete the job.

As I was in the mood for it, I gutted the insides leaving just a couple of cross braces and two bulkheads at the stern to keep things in check whilst the remaining strips are fitted.Quite a lot of fettling required but I am pleased that slotting the bow formers at deck level allowed this area to be removed without hiccup.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 322205View attachment 322206View attachment 322207View attachment 322208View attachment 322209
Nigel, your work is absolutely stunning. I LOVE using limewood for the planking, and your first planking is nothing short of professional. It appears as if you are gutting the ship to add interior decks like my Sovereign, correct? If so, what are your plans for the interior? This build is a true inspiration.

Thankyou Kurt for your kind comments.

Yes full interior, as to how far I go with the detail I am undecided as yet.Got lots of ideas flying about in my head.

Good quality Lime is nice to work with for planking.The stuff I am using is quite dense and sands well.I have used some in the past that is more like Balsa

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thankyou Kurt for your kind comments.

Yes full interior, as to how far I go with the detail I am undecided as yet.Got lots of ideas flying about in my head.

Good quality Lime is nice to work with for planking.The stuff I am using is quite dense and sands well.I have used some in the past that is more like Balsa

Kind Regards

Nigel
Yes. Lime is usually great. I used cheap basswood on the lower hull and lime on the upper hull, and there is no discernable difference after sanding but lime takes bends better, is more dense, sands smoother. I like the fact that lime can be steam bent much easier than walnut when soaked and heat applied with a hot iron over a curved form. Very forgiving wood.

A little bit of an update.

The remaining penultimate planking is done and the hull sanded.I have gutted the remaining bulkhead and chopped the stern out, note the bottom edge of the top section is still to trim.

I have started marking out the gunports and cutting the ones out for the lower deck.They look large but that is because the lining will be 1.5mm thick all round.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0469.jpgIMG_0464.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0467.jpgIMG_0468.jpg

Beautifully cut-out gunports Nigel. Do you mind sharing your method as to how you cut out your gunports to keep them so "square"?

Thanks Heinrich. I cut a strip of 6mm ply about 1mm narrower than the finished port and glued 120 grit glass paper using cyan to the wide face to make a custom sanding stick for the top and bottom.Sides freehand with a number 26 blade and light touch of a file

Thanks Marc. I was planning on omitting it as I believe it was never pierced on this later incarnation

Thanks Heinrich. I cut a strip of 6mm ply about 1mm narrower than the finished port and glued 120 grit glass paper using cyan to the wide face to make a custom sanding stick for the top and bottom.Sides freehand with a number 26 blade and light touch of a file
Thank you, Nigel!

A little bit of an update.

The remaining penultimate planking is done and the hull sanded.I have gutted the remaining bulkhead and chopped the stern out, note the bottom edge of the top section is still to trim.

I have started marking out the gunports and cutting the ones out for the lower deck.They look large but that is because the lining will be 1.5mm thick all round.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 323566View attachment 323568View attachment 323569View attachment 323570View attachment 323571
Even your filler looks pretty.

Back