Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Not updated for a little while as planking progress is slower as I am back at work and also working on getting my Happy Hunter rc tug hull in paint.In view of this multitasking I have progressed the planking on the other side and then broken off for a change and worked on the final layer on the starboard side.I have corrected the hull shape and removed the flat spots with two part wood filler.
The final layer is what came with the kit and is nice to work with. Again,due to the hull form,I am not following planking practice as the edge bend on these 5 x 0.5mm strips would be horrendous.This layer will be trimmed back in line with the bottom of the Main Wale.My intention is that this layer will have gaps where each wale fits forming a location channel.I cannot finalise exact wale position until the upper hull is gutted and I can transpose the deck line and then gunport sheer to the outside of the hull.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0385.jpgIMG_0386.jpgIMG_0387.jpg

Wow! Very nice advances, Nigel. I can fully appreciate why you would not like to follow traditional planking layout beneath the lower wale. That finish material is nicer than I expected, and I’m sure it will sand to a very nice paint surface.

Now, one question for the plank above the lower wale, which will correspond with the sheer - might it be desirable to highlight the plank seams with micro-bevels? This is something I did for all of my stern planking in styrene strip; I was concerned that, minus the bevels, the plank would sand fair to a flat, indistinguishable surface. The effect is somewhat stylized, but it looks good under paint.

A very happy Father’s Day to all!

Thanks Guys:)

Marc,nothing is set in stone above the Wales as yetROTFMany thoughts rattling round in my head as I plod along with this step including what you just mentioned;)

Paul,yes a "glance" of sandpaper is the order of the day.I have seen many builds done with this thin veneer and many thought they could sand it to get a final fair to the hull.This is not the case, the hull must be nigh on perfect before this goes on and it must be down hard down the hull.I am using Aliphatic to do this and applying a thin even layer with an art brush exactly where the strip goes,It is not unlike tilingROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ahoy!

@Nigel - I think about You all the time :D
I would like to inform You, that carriage as one part is possible to 3Dprint. Works in progress;)

View attachment 318774View attachment 318775

Wow that is AWESOME Kris!!
And I was only thinking it was around now you said you had available time on your printer.....
If you can produce a full set to match the cannons we discussed earlier,I will be more than happy.That will save an absolute mountain of work, most of which will be below decks

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, I am imagining that your deck detailing below the main deck will probably be minimal, or perhaps not. Will you give it the full Kurt (Dariv’s Architects) treatment, or something in-between?

Side note to Kris - those cannons look amazing. I referred Victor Yankovich to you because he is trying to find something better in 1:96.

Nigel, I am imagining that your deck detailing below the main deck will probably be minimal, or perhaps not. Will you give it the full Kurt (Dariv’s Architects) treatment, or something in-between?

Side note to Kris - those cannons look amazing. I referred Victor Yankovich to you because he is trying to find something better in 1:96.

Undecided as yet Marc.I will see where the mood takes me.I do plan on simplifying the deck beam arrangement but I am planning on going to town on the Stern cabins given the expanse of windows.

Due to all the painting being carried out in the workshop on my Happy Hunter build dust production has had to be put on hold.

I have completed the second Layer of planking below the lower wale.There may be some further trimming of the top edge later on once everything (gunports and Wales) has been marked out.My mass painting session has nearly come to an end for now so I should be able to resume the planking on the other side soon.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0411.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0413.jpg

Nigel,
As always - such detailed work.
Re. 3D printing: It will certainly become a large part of this hobby in the very near future - including manufacturers
including some of these 3D bits within their "out of the box" kits IMO. The next level will be how to "gold plate" rather than paint these
new perfect looking plastic bits - Hmmm?
OH! looking forward to you furnishing the stern officer's areas :)

Regards,

Nigel,
As always - such detailed work.
Re. 3D printing: It will certainly become a large part of this hobby in the very near future - including manufacturers
including some of these 3D bits within their "out of the box" kits IMO. The next level will be how to "gold plate" rather than paint these
new perfect looking plastic bits - Hmmm?
OH! looking forward to you furnishing the stern officer's areas :)

Regards,

Totally agree with you John regarding 3D printing, this opens up masses of possibilities in modelling.

The Gold plate technology has been around a while now.Many moons ago when I was building Sovereign on DeAgostini's forum, one of the members had bought the kit to do this.It is the same tech as that used to plate mobile phone cases etc.

Captains quarters way off in the distance at the momentROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back