Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Thanks Paul

Guess I had better get my callipers out and check strip widths for the next layer which is my second layer above deck but the kits first.Thinking of buying 1 x 4mm lime strip from Cornwall MB for the final layer but trying to use stash material for the other layers so not to waste cash and reduce the amount of strip wood I have laying about.The supplied 0.5mm planking for the final planking is OK but you have no sanding allowance plus I feel aside from probably not having enough due to the length increase,I would rather not have joints lengthwise as I am going for a super smooth painted finish.

You opted for Pear on Vasa which I commend as it looks superb, that would be my choice if I was going the no paint route.My budget is going to be hammered on boxwood wood planking for 6 complete decks plus internal hull planking and finding suitable armament:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel
Boxwood planking you say!?! This is going to be one superb build!

Thanks Kurt

Sovereign is currently sat on a shelf in the loft away from the workshop dust now.Why do you ask?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Where do you think I get my building notes? If you aren't working on your Sovereign, I run out of ideas on things to correct! ROTF
Actually, your build has served as an excellent guide for mine. I've been waiting for you to continue on it, and am getting closer to catching up to you on our builds.

Thanks again Paul

My plan is the following;

Blue hull- just bought some Windsor and Newton Acrylics this morning to do some trials
All exposed timber- boxwood apart from masts,ramin for the masting which I hope should look like box by the time I have finished.All yards will be black.
Lower hull- OFF white plus the black band up to the Wales as per kit.
The lower masts will be white with back Tops/Platforms.
All ornaments- gold as per gunport castings I have already done.

I am seriously thinking about NO red Ochre on this model, less is more and I think that would be a step too far aesthetically and I am trying to stay true to the colours in the Berain artwork.That dictates natural timber for Wales/Gunport linings and blue for inside the gunport lids.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks again Paul

My plan is the following;

Blue hull- just bought some Windsor and Newton Acrylics this morning to do some trials
All exposed timber- boxwood apart from masts,ramin for the masting which I hope should look like box by the time I have finished.All yards will be black.
Lower hull- OFF white plus the black band up to the Wales as per kit.
The lower masts will be white with back Tops/Platforms.
All ornaments- gold as per gunport castings I have already done.

I am seriously thinking about NO red Ochre on this model, less is more and I think that would be a step too far aesthetically and I am trying to stay true to the colours in the Berain artwork.That dictates natural timber for Wales/Gunport linings and blue for inside the gunport lids.

Kind Regards

Nigel
That boat's gonna look sexy.

Looking at stock photography of the prototype, just now, I can see that they actually did the three-step sheer. I guess the main thing, as you mentioned in your prior post, is finding the best and most true run of that line.

Three step sheer as Michel and Marc.I have completely disregarded the Tanneron model aside from the fact I like the long corridor in the cabins which is repeated in the Heller kit.I may incorparate this feature although not shown in the historic drawings of the cabins on each deck.

You would be hard pressed to do better than these:

I’m not sure whether the scale will work for you, though. If the model is closer to 1:65, the difference in guns at 1:72 may not matter.

IMG_0314.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0317.jpg A small update in that I saved some money for a change ROTF

My Amati plank bending iron died at the weekend.I improvised to bend the planking (soaking in water and overbending in a jig whilst dry) but really need the bender for the boxwood stringers.

Aldi middle isle to the rescue, £9.99 30W (same as bender) soldering iron.Five minutes in the Lathe saw the Aluminium end from the Bender turned down to fit into my new soldering iron.Defineately cheaper than a £30 replacement

I also purchased two shades of blue to try on some scrap and see how it looks against my Gold and Boxwood.Starting to get my head around this art thing that colours can look different when placed against other coloursROTFI took the tubes outside for the picture because both looked identical in the shop and in the house! The keen eyed will spot the difference.The tubes are painted with the actual paint.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
You would be hard pressed to do better than these:

I’m not sure whether the scale will work for you, though. If the model is closer to 1:65, the difference in guns at 1:72 may not matter.
These are pieces of art but with the armament of soleil royal you will have to take a second mortgage :)

Maarten casting my own is one of several options.I have reached out to Kris @SZKUTNIK to see what he can offer as I know he has 3D files for French cannons.

Marc,yes more than familiar with Mr Banarov's offering, not sure if the scale will work, biggest concern after the price is the fact that Alexey lives in Odessa so who knows what may happen in the current climate.He has been active on Facebook so he is ok at present.I do agree that money no object and conflict out of the equation, his work rocks!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Maarten casting my own is one of several options.I have reached out to Kris @SZKUTNIK to see what he can offer as I know he has 3D files for French cannons.

Marc,yes more than familiar with Mr Banarov's offering, not sure if the scale will work, biggest concern after the price is the fact that Alexey lives in Odessa so who knows what may happen in the current climate.He has been active on Facebook so he is ok at present.I do agree that money no object and conflict out of the equation, his work rocks!

Kind Regards

Nigel
All things to consider. On the other hand, since you are inly producing guns for your own model, is there anything wrong with buying a set - one in each caliber - and casting what you need from those?

All things to consider. On the other hand, since you are inly producing guns for your own model, is there anything wrong with buying a set - one in each caliber - and casting what you need from those?

Ooooh that would be a bit cheekyROTF I could, but I could also turn a plain barrel on the lathe on add decor in Fimo to use as my own master;)It is the casting that bothers me with those pesky dolphin handles.I could cast them separately but they are only going to be 3 to 4mm long as a guess.

The problem with that term, Kurt, is that I made it up. I’m referring to the rise of the cap sheer, at each level of the stern; at the break from the waist-rail to the quarter deck, there’s one step in the sheer cap. A little ways before the poop deck, there’s a second step up of the cap railing. Finally, on Soleil Royal, a little ways before the poop-royal, there’s a third step up in the cap railing. For some reason, or other, Tanneron modeled four steps.

Most French ships - first through third rates - exhibit a three-step sheer throughout the 17th C, into the 18th C.

The problem with that term, Kurt, is that I made it up. I’m referring to the rise of the cap sheer, at each level of the stern; at the break from the waist-rail to the quarter deck, there’s one step in the sheer cap. A little ways before the poop deck, there’s a second step up of the cap railing. Finally, on Soleil Royal, a little ways before the poop-royal, there’s a third step up in the cap railing. For some reason, or other, Tanneron modeled four steps.

Most French ships - first through third rates - exhibit a three-step sheer throughout the 17th C, into the 18th C.
...probably because four of anything is better than three. :D

The steps in the railing caps. I get it now.
1651607820393.png

Last edited:
...probably because four of anything is better than three. :D

The steps in the railing caps. I get it now.
View attachment 306697

Looking at your image Kurt reminds me why I am deliberately avoiding looking at images of this model.There is a lot of debate as to just how accurate this model maybe but that aside,I do feel that the second Soleil Royal or indeed the rebuilt first ship looked a lot different to this rendition.It is a beautiful model, don't get me wrong and may have a likeness to the first ship when launched, but IMHO does not represent the later iterations.
One thing that is fact and I have seen a picture of the original piece of paper, that the King ordered the side galleries to be enclosed on all First Rates in 1670
Once again as with my SOTS build, without a time machine, who knows for certain, only educated guesses ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back