Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Sorry for the poor image capture:

50462869-9104-4F1E-80BC-D064C6776E49.jpeg

So, actually below the waterline. I guess it transitions from looking very heavy above, to a little too slight seeming below. What I’m getting at is that the proportions of the thing seem off to me.

Well, seeing it more directly on your model, my perception of it is a little different, now. The proportions are not as skewed as I thought they were. I wonder, though, whether there’s room to tweak that just a little without getting too close to the gammoning slots.

As this area is fully painted then the possibilities are limitless, no reason why I could not extend the area with a section of boxwood later when the model is free of the jig.The whole stem needs tapering in cross section before the cheek pieces are fitted anyway.I will take a view later when the hull is planked and I get the full impression

Hello, I discovered this build log thanks to Marc (Hubac historian), and I will follow with great interest ! It's very exciting !
Kind regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc.I am familiar with your model of the same vessel and have been following your progress since you started
Great to have you following my build and please feel free to add to the debate

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have fitted the deck stringers to the Starboard side and planked as far up as I can before I fit the deck at the Beak.The stringers are held in place to the bulkheads with blobs of epoxy outside the joint to allow easier removal of the bulkheads later.

The Planking is 2 x 5mm Birch surplus to requirements from a Partwork.The machining of it is a little variable making it hard to get tight joints but should be ok as there are two more layers to go on.I chose simply not to apply glue to the planking next to the bulkheads rather than use tape.The important thing is the outside face ties in with the bulkhead profile below.

Next job is to do the same to the Port side

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpgIMG_0312.jpg

Your work never fails to impress Nigel. Impeccable first planking thus far.

Thanks Paul

I tried to be selective as to which strips I used in each run as there is variation in width and thickness.These are from Deagostini's 12 Apostles partwork, an Artesania product, which I will plank in Lime. How did you find the first planking material for the Vasa,which is the same as I have in this kit?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nothing like plank to really show the run of the hull. Deck sheer looks right-on to my eye!

Thanks Marc

I haven't fitted the Poop deck stringers yet, this is the tough one to get the shear of the rails to miss the front top end of the Poop and I may fit these when the hull is planked and the top edge of the hull finalised.It is one thing drawing it out in side view, but another thing when you get to 3D,especially with the amount of tumblehome at the stern.

At some point in the near future,I may trial fit the castings for the stern to double check things, the deck levels are crucial as I want to run the false decks through the transom and be the base of the balconies in one piece.At the same time, the "arm" from the tiller needs to go through a hole in the transom and miss the underside of the deck beams of the middle gundeck:rolleyes:The rudder will not go through a hole in the counter as shown in the kit as this would mean the steering gear would be in the main cabin! The underside of the counter is the base of the of the middle deck things are very tight.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Kurt

Sovereign is currently sat on a shelf in the loft away from the workshop dust now.Why do you ask?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Just went through your build and saw that he said he was using your sots build as a guide for his so he wants to mooch knowledge off of you

Thanks Paul

I tried to be selective as to which strips I used in each run as there is variation in width and thickness.These are from Deagostini's 12 Apostles partwork, an Artesania product, which I will plank in Lime. How did you find the first planking material for the Vasa,which is the same as I have in this kit?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Well, as I was only planking my first ship I didn't really know enough to wonder about the quality of the material. Thinking back I remember being frustrated by the fact that some strakes were thinner/thicker than others and being mad at myself for not noticing that when I was installing them. I guess at that point I was still under the assumption that everything in the kit would be exactly as it should be. Curiously, my experience with the first planking coincided with the time I stopped building the kit and started to build a ship. A subtle but significant shift in the way I was thinking about my build.

Well, as I was only planking my first ship I didn't really know enough to wonder about the quality of the material. Thinking back I remember being frustrated by the fact that some strakes were thinner/thicker than others and being mad at myself for not noticing that when I was installing them. I guess at that point I was still under the assumption that everything in the kit would be exactly as it should be. Curiously, my experience with the first planking coincided with the time I stopped building the kit and started to build a ship. A subtle but significant shift in the way I was thinking about my build.
Thanks Paul

Guess I had better get my callipers out and check strip widths for the next layer which is my second layer above deck but the kits first.Thinking of buying 1 x 4mm lime strip from Cornwall MB for the final layer but trying to use stash material for the other layers so not to waste cash and reduce the amount of strip wood I have laying about.The supplied 0.5mm planking for the final planking is OK but you have no sanding allowance plus I feel aside from probably not having enough due to the length increase,I would rather not have joints lengthwise as I am going for a super smooth painted finish.

You opted for Pear on Vasa which I commend as it looks superb, that would be my choice if I was going the no paint route.My budget is going to be hammered on boxwood wood planking for 6 complete decks plus internal hull planking and finding suitable armament:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back