Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

With the Raw Umber oil wash applied to the remaining 36LB carriages and set aside to fully dry this time, I have reverted back to construction proper.

The remaining notches in the first section of beakhead grating have been cut on the mill and the remaining strips fitted.After a thorough clean up the first section is now fitted so I have something solid to work from as there is an awful lot to get to line up here.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1019.jpgIMG_1020.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1022.jpg

Thankyou Paul

I use the rotary dial on the mill table.2mm between centres with a 1mm cutter.The cut comes out at 1.25ish due to my mill bearings being shot (my MF70 is over 10 years old)
The corners are squared up with the serated edge of a fine flat file

Kind Regards

Nigel

You've taken a kit build to the next level. Looks like no kit I've ever seen. Wonderful work Nigel!

Thanks Guys

Slowly catchee Monkey on this bit as the work on the head is causing me to scratch my head a bitROTF

As Marc aka Hubac’s Historian will testify, there are SO MANY different elements in this area that all need to work in unison. I have changed a lot of kit dimensions so can’t just slap it together as per kit instructions

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Guys

Slowly catchee Monkey on this bit as the work on the head is causing me to scratch my head a bitROTF

As Marc aka Hubac’s Historian will testify, there are SO MANY different elements in this area that all need to work in unison. I have changed a lot of kit dimensions so can’t just slap it together as per kit instructions

Kind Regards

Nigel
I can ATTEST: this is the very area I am working on, myself, and despite very careful making and dry-fitting of parts, things don’t line up and mate together so perfectly, once elements begin to be fixed in-place. Very slow progress and a fair amount of shimming and re-work. It’ll all be worth it in the end, though.

Nigel, your head will be such a vast improvement over the kit that it will be impossible to believe that one sprang from the other. Great work!

Last edited:
I can ATTEST: this is the very area I am working on, myself, and despite very careful making and dry-fitting of parts, things don’t line up and mate together so perfectly, once elements begin to be fixed in-place. Very slow progress and a fair amount of shimming and re-work. It’ll all be worth it in the end, though.

Nigel, your head will be such a vast improvement over the kit that it will be impossible to believe that one sprung from the other. Great work!

Thanks Marc, in Artesania’s defence, they do depict a reasonable example, Sergal just gave up in this area and put a randomly placed deck in with nothing underneath ROTF

A small update to look at but one that took a solid 4 days of work. The beakhead grating is now assembled and sanded to suit the curve of the top of the middle headrail. Debating if I should add some slats on top perpendicular to the ship's centreline that would give the crew a foothold given most of the grating is sloping upwards. Thoughts anyone?

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1034.jpgIMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.jpgIMG_1037.jpg

When I'll be doing very similar thing on my ship, I'd be happy if I could achieve some of your precision.

One thought that occurs to me - and you’re gonna just love this, if it isn’t already in your plans ;) - will you make a similarly profiled moulding and knee bracket that runs just above the trailboard, but beneath the feet of the headrail supports?

One thought that occurs to me - and you’re gonna just love this, if it isn’t already in your plans ;) - will you make a similarly profiled moulding and knee bracket that runs just above the trailboard, but beneath the feet of the headrail supports?

Yes Marc, next job ;) I needed to fit this deck first otherwise the contact area would be a little weak when I trim the bottom of the head rail supports in order to fit the moulding

Take it you have made it across the pond by the flag on your avatar

A small update to look at but one that took a solid 4 days of work. The beakhead grating is now assembled and sanded to suit the curve of the top of the middle headrail. Debating if I should add some slats on top perpendicular to the ship's centreline that would give the crew a foothold given most of the grating is sloping upwards. Thoughts anyone?

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 368161View attachment 368162View attachment 368163View attachment 368164
No way!!! Magnificent.

Back