Syren 1803 1:64 Model Shipways

Ok a real update :D.

I have held off continuing with the headrails etc for’d because I am concerned I’ll have a klutz moment and destroy the fragile work. I’ll probably wait till the deck is mostly finished before continuing that part of the ship.

I finished all the pin-rails and mounted them port and stb’d using two brass wire “pins” for additional holding power through the rails and into the bulwarks. I just added a few loose belaying pins into the rails for effect. I also wanted to make sure they clear the cap rail above so I have clearance for lines later on. The last of the cleats are in as are additional eyebolts. Similarly, I am half way through securing the eyebolts with rings on the deck. The last of the port lids are hinged and are in position fore and aft. The shot racks are glued in position alongside two sets of coamings. The last set will be placed once the companionway is finished.

When I started the Syren I allowed for the mast to be stepped but of course the deck planks needed final cutting and rounding out. So yesterday I very carefully sanded the holes till I obtained the correct diameter. My intention will be to step the lower mast sections accordingly. I used scrap dowel to get an idea of mast placement but there will be “platforms” positioned at the mast bases.

The fore bitts, riding bitts and gallows bitts, made from pear, were mostly cut and bagged a while ago but I was itching to see what deck clutter would look like. So nothing glued or aligned yet just little piles of parts here and there. As is the pump, windlass, and nearly completed companionway. I think I need to get those carronades into position before securing most of the deck fittings.

Now it’s time to put all the parts away and continue with the deck. Thanks for all the previous likes, comments and always the humorous input.

IMG_4853.jpeg

Starting the carronades

A small update but once again, for me, a fiddly time consuming part of this build. I mentioned some while ago I changed out the kit supplied, out of scale, 24 pounder carronades for brass 18 pounders from Caldercraft. I’d seen other notable Syren builds where the modeller had done this but then needed to add tiny components to increase modelling realism on the carronade, such as the breech line ring. So I challenged myself and started with those breech rings, which are non-existent on the Caldercraft carronades.

Firstly, I researched the size of a breech line ring but found quite a variation from different sources. Rather than try and bend, then solder, scaled brass rod I decided to drill into the ass end of the carronade and use an eyebolt. My intention is to then build up tiny slivers of solder at the base of the ring to give a weld effect. Not sure how that will go but it will be fun trying. I also have to think about how I’m going to do the lug and brackets. I seem awfully slow compared to some of your excellent builds but I enjoy the challenge of reading, learning and then trying different techniques and approaches.

So, early days as I work away on the carronade additions but a photo or two to show what I am trying to do.

Thanks for following along as I learn these new skills. The good news is you don’t have to listen to the cursing ROTF.

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

Starting the carronades

A small update but once again, for me, a fiddly time consuming part of this build. I mentioned some while ago I changed out the kit supplied, out of scale, 24 pounder carronades for brass 18 pounders from Caldercraft. I’d seen other notable Syren builds where the modeller had done this but then needed to add tiny components to increase modelling realism on the carronade, such as the breech line ring. So I challenged myself and started with those breech rings, which are non-existent on the Caldercraft carronades.

Firstly, I researched the size of a breech line ring but found quite a variation from different sources. Rather than try and bend, then solder, scaled brass rod I decided to drill into the ass end of the carronade and use an eyebolt. My intention is to then build up tiny slivers of solder at the base of the ring to give a weld effect. Not sure how that will go but it will be fun trying. I also have to think about how I’m going to do the lug and brackets. I seem awfully slow compared to some of your excellent builds but I enjoy the challenge of reading, learning and then trying different techniques and approaches.

So, early days as I work away on the carronade additions but a photo or two to show what I am trying to do.

Thanks for following along as I learn these new skills. The good news is you don’t have to listen to the cursing ROTF.

View attachment 456412

View attachment 456413
very nice !

When grown men cry…

Work progresses slowly on fitting out the 16 brass replacement carronades. I initially cut 32 scaled brass strips (plus spares) for the bracket plates. I progressed to enough tiny brass tubing pieces for the bracket end swivels and also the lugs underneath the carronades. I have been using a scale drawing of a 64 pounder carronade with mountings and then reducing to size for my 18 pounders. It has sort of worked but I’ve had to revise my processes, techniques and type of materials multiple times.

IMG_4889.jpeg

I laid out all the little pieces I made a couple of weeks ago then took a photo. Brushed my arm across the workbench and most of those brass pieces flew across my work space and disappeared into the workshop bilges. You think grown men don’t cry! A call for help to my wife resulted in a modest recovery of parts. I think she enjoyed the quality time as we crawled around the floor and under the bench ;), but many pieces went missing.

So I started cutting brass again. A few weeks have gone by since my last post but I thought a messy update was better than none. The parts are obviously not cleaned up yet. Thanks for following along, comments, critiques and sympathetic tears are very welcome ROTF.

IMG_4905.jpeg

When grown men cry…

Work progresses slowly on fitting out the 16 brass replacement carronades. I initially cut 32 scaled brass strips (plus spares) for the bracket plates. I progressed to enough tiny brass tubing pieces for the bracket end swivels and also the lugs underneath the carronades. I have been using a scale drawing of a 64 pounder carronade with mountings and then reducing to size for my 18 pounders. It has sort of worked but I’ve had to revise my processes, techniques and type of materials multiple times.

View attachment 461137

I laid out all the little pieces I made a couple of weeks ago then took a photo. Brushed my arm across the workbench and most of those brass pieces flew across my work space and disappeared into the workshop bilges. You think grown men don’t cry! A call for help to my wife resulted in a modest recovery of parts. I think she enjoyed the quality time as we crawled around the floor and under the bench ;), but many pieces went missing.

So I started cutting brass again. A few weeks have gone by since my last post but I thought a messy update was better than none. The parts are obviously not cleaned up yet. Thanks for following along, comments, critiques and sympathetic tears are very welcome ROTF.

View attachment 461138
Roger, I am following the build and your work on the model is amazing! I have just purchased this kit from Model Shipways and it will be my next build after I complete the Vanguard kit of HM Sherbourne.

Back